Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about
Default My WTC archive story

The Smithsonian is collecting 9/11 memories for the National 9/11 Memorial.

http://makehistory.national911memorial.org/

This is my submission, more or less. They may or may not use it, but I'll share it with you here.

The worker in the cubicle next to me poked her head up and said, "Come here and listen to the radio- you need to hear this."

The first plane had hit.

Our office was soon gathered around the radio, listening to updates- then came the news of a second plane. I grabbed my jacket and told my boss I had no idea when I'd be back. "Go, go," he said.

I don't remember the drive, but I made it home, changed into my uniform, grabbed my gear and was at the local National Guard armory before the second tower fell.

In September, 2001 I was a brand new Second Lieutenant in the New York Army National Guard. I hit the ground running as an officer- my first major assignment came when the upstate Guard units finally began being rotated into Ground Zero in October. I left Rochester with elements of the 642nd Aviation Support Battalion and the 142nd Aviation. We processed in at Camp Smith, NY, were briefed on the Rules of Engagement (ROE) and shipped over to FT Hamilton in Brooklyn to be put into teams to work the site. Our mission was perimeter security. At FT Hamilton, I was told I'd be the OIC of the night shift, which was composed of NY Army and Air National Guard men and women, as well as Naval Militia sailors (Seebees).

When we got to the site we were told "Ground Zero" was not what it was called, but the workers referred to the site as "The Red Zone". I was issued maps and we set our troops out around the perimeter. While I was the OIC of my group, there were several majors and captains working the night shift in the Guard command post, which comforted me. My job was to make sure my troops were in place at posts around the Red Zone, get intel from the command post, disseminate the intel to the troops, and react to any issues that may occur. At the time, no fences were set up around the Red Zone, and a steady flow of workers, police, FDNY, FBI, CIA, etc, etc, were coming and going at all hours. Badged law enforcement officers and firefighters did not need a pass, but all others wore a color-coded access pass (including all military members assigned to the site). Everyone wanted to get close, so lots of people tried to get past the checkpoints, which were manned by a combination of unarmed military, NYPD, NYS Troopers, and Port authority officers. It was not uncommon to have a combination of uniforms at any given site.

As the OIC, I spent a lot of time running around and solving problems. The biggest issue was visiting firefighters and police. They came from all over the world, many having taken red-eye flights and showing up at the Red Zone in dress uniform, trying to find out when services for firefighters or police would take place. Once we checked ID, I'd hand them hard hats and respirators, throw them in the back of an ATV or golf cart, and take them to the FDNY or NYPD command posts. Often, it would take me some time to get there...

I won't tell all the stories here, like dealing with inebriated celebrities or the time the FDNY marched on the Red Zone to protest hour cuts, or the Red Cross stories, or the folks who brought us food or Red Bull, or what the EPA guys said when I asked them about the air quality test results, but one story has to be told here because it can't stay just in my head.

On Sunday, November 11, President Bush was scheduled to visit the Red Zone. All the workers were given that Saturday night off (the first time operations had paused in two months). We perimeter guards had no such special treatment, but it was a slow night. I had to visit the fellows on the south side, and decided to just walk down West Ave to get to them, rather than taking a vehicle.

When I got to the rubble pile, I stopped and looked- nobody was working, it was probably about 0300 or so. I was the only one there, it seemed. Cranes had been set up to pump water on the rubble, which was still smoking two months after 9/11. Bright spotlights shone down on the site.

Spray from the water was struck by the lights and a rainbow stretched between the tower bases.

I have no idea how long I stood there in the quiet, looking at that rainbow. It was like time had stopped, everything had stopped, and it was just me and those remaining in the rubble of the towers. That scene is in my head as fresh now nine years later as it was on Nov 11, 2001.

At the Red Zone I saluted the fallen as they were pulled from the rubble, flags draped over their stretchers. Since then, I've stood at attention and saluted fallen Soldiers and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan more times than I can remember. In 2008, outside Kabul in Afghanistan, I was in a rest area with a group of officers when an Army Captain I had never seen before came in looking for me. "Are you Captain Milligan?" he said. "I came to see you about..." and he trailed off, staring over my shoulder. "Do you... do you have a pen?" He asked, his voice thick. I handed him one, and he kneeled on the chair next to mine and reached up to the 9/11 tribute flag hanging behind me, the flag printed with all the names of the dead. He circled a woman's name three times, and stepped back to look at the flag. "My sister," he said, then quickly turned and left without saying another word.

All of us remaining sat stock still and stared at the flag until a Lieutenant Colonel broke the silence. "It's easy to forget why we are here," he said.

Not for everyone.

The flag was in the Tiki Hut, the cigar lounge supported by you through CATS.... Here is is.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My WTC archive story

Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing sir,we must never forget.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Extraordinarily moving.

Thank you.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Goose bumps while reading this, I can only imagine what you have seen. The world has changed dramatically since that day because of this horror and tragedy. Too many people have died, on both sides, and that is a shame. Why can't we all just get along?

I like the way Americans support their troops and honor the veterans, wish we in The Netherlands took more time to realize what the armed forces do for our freedom and appriciate their effords and sacrifices more then we seem to do.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for sharing this. GREAT read!!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thank you for sharing sir!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Thank you for sharing sir!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your service. We will never forget it.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Extraordinarily moving.

Thank you.
my sentiments exactly.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

That stuff tears me up, it always will.

Thanks for sharing and thank you for your service.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing and Thanks for serving
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Good job, Geoff.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Never, ever forget.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Your story brought tears to my eyes... Thank you for your service and thank you for sharing!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for sharing that with us.