Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: P90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageland2000 View Post
Tried insanity, It's a good workout. I however recommend going to this site
www.crossfit.com.
It a free online community with workouts everyday (called WODs) and it is gaining an insane amount of popularity. It will whip you into shape and there is even a great nutrition program associated with it called Palio. It's what I use to stay in shape for the Army. Start doing crossfit and you'll NEVER look back.
A buddy of mine started crossfit awhile back and even opened his own gym to train people. Haven't seen him for a few months, but I know he's been getting great results.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
KingJaffeJoffer

Two work buddies used p90x with good results. Honestly man check this book out. It's life-changing. Don't worry you can still have steak and ribs! :-) It's the Paleo diet that crossfit uses and bageland recommended above.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution...5751634&sr=8-1

IMHO, CrossFit is a great workout, but the program may be dangerous unless you are already well versed in olympic weightlifting and are in decent shape. They make you take an intro class series, but honestly you are so ill-prepared for the WODs after that, and many noobs come away with injuries. That being said, every crossfit gym is different, but there are many ways to get good results w/o the risk. Some of the crossfit stuff is straight up unsafe unless you are a real athlete/military, etc. For example a work out recently consisted of 20 GHD sit-ups (which make you dizzy as all heck) and then 5 or 10 clean and jerk variants. 5 rounds of that for TIME, so as fast as you can. Not safe to be doing c&j in a hurry while dizzy. Best of luck!

full disclosure - one of said noobs is myself.

Last edited by KingJaffeJoffer; 01-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJaffeJoffer View Post
Two work buddies used p90x with good results. Honestly man check this book out. It's life-changing. Don't worry you can still have steak and ribs! :-) It's the Paleo diet that crossfit uses and bageland recommended above.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution...5751634&sr=8-1

IMHO, CrossFit is a great workout, but the program may be dangerous unless you are already well versed in olympic weightlifting and are in decent shape. They make you take an intro class series, but honestly you are so ill-prepared for the WODs after that, and many noobs come away with injuries. That being said, every crossfit gym is different, but there are many ways to get good results w/o the risk. Some of the crossfit stuff is straight up unsafe unless you are a real athlete/military, etc. For example a work out recently consisted of 20 GHD sit-ups (which make you dizzy as all heck) and then 5 or 10 clean and jerk variants. 5 rounds of that for TIME, so as fast as you can. Not safe to be doing c&j in a hurry while dizzy. Best of luck!

full disclosure - one of said noobs is myself.
There have been concerns about safety with CF, but IMO, if you start slow, scale to WODs to a "do-able" level and read about how to do things properly (i.e. how to do glute-hamstring sit ups without getting dizzy) then it's the best (again IMHO) But as king said and I will 100% back up- Oly lifts can be dangerous if you don't respect them. But they're a necessary part of gaining all-around fitness. Either way, definitely check it out for yourself and decide!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

I think, from what I've read over the last couple of years, that X-Fit really wants you in their gyms, under their tutelage, and not working off of video plans, though there is a lot of stuff out there on YouTube. X-Fit kinda comes off as a religion, based on conversations I've had with folks that were directly involved with the gym setups, web presence, and seminars. But they have some trainees that are in FANTASTIC shape! I've watched some videos of women and men, doing things from overhead squats to pullups, to sequences of exercises, and they do kick butt.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
OK, so I'm considering trying this program as I'm way overweight, out of shape and need to make a lifestyle change. I've heard that the diet portion is very important in this program.

Has anybody here done P90x and if so, can you shed some light on the diet portion? I'm pretty damn fussy when it comes to food, not a big fruit or veggie guy, so if that portion of it is just simply not going to work for me, I may have to reconsider.
I love fruit and veggies, but if you find a few you can tolerate, you would be ok. Very low sodium and lots of protein are big. You may be someone that would be more into some shakes and other meal replacement options.

One tip, the P90X is an intense workout, you may want to do the P90 for a month or two before going to the P90X. I am having great success with the P90, when I get down to or near my goal I plan on then starting P90X.

That is just my approach though, some may not agree. I just wasn't even near the shape it takes to get the full advantage of the P90X so the P90 I am using as a tool to build me up to that while at the same time losing weight.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #26
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
I think, from what I've read over the last couple of years, that X-Fit really wants you in their gyms, under their tutelage, and not working off of video plans, though there is a lot of stuff out there on YouTube. X-Fit kinda comes off as a religion, based on conversations I've had with folks that were directly involved with the gym setups, web presence, and seminars. But they have some trainees that are in FANTASTIC shape! I've watched some videos of women and men, doing things from overhead squats to pullups, to sequences of exercises, and they do kick butt.
PLEASE don't buy into that "crossfit is a cult" thing And it is completely possible to follow it w/o becoming part of an affiliate. Thousands of people do it everyday!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I was going to provide my input on the P90X nutrition plan, but Joel pretty much laid out my exact comments and approach to it.

I've done P90X three times now--did a P90X/Insanity hybrid for one of those--and tried to follow the guidelines. The portion control plan was probably the easiest to follow, and provides the greatest amount of flexibility. I didn't cut out red meat but switched to leaner cuts. I limited my beer drinking to the weekends and cut down my total consumption. Most of my meals were pretty well balanced to begin with, my biggest adjustment came in eating 5x/day. I supplemented with protein shakes (BSN Syntha 6,) vitamins and a nitric-oxide pre-workout.

Even following the plan like this, maybe sticking to 70% of what it calls for, I was able to make a huge drop in body fat % (from probably around 20% when I started to about 8% now.) I only lost about 15 pounds, but got big gains in muscle size & definition. At 47, I'm in the best shape of my life.

Good luck with it, I'm a big advocate!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #28
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I started P90X a few weeks ago and ever since I placed my order I have been having people PM me on Facebook and BeachBody fourms wanting to be my Coach is this normal? Or are the just trying to get me to buy more BB products?
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote