Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Bad Finger

Default Drew Estate Undercrown Toro Review

Cigar: Drew Estate Liga Privada Undercrown

Origin: Esteli, Nicaragua

Size: Toro (6 x 52rg)

Capa: Otapan Negro Último Corte
Capote: T52 Connecticut River Valley Stalk Cut & Cured Habano
Tripa: Select Brazilian Mata Fina and Nicaraguan Cuban Seed

Binder: Stalk-Cut Connecticut

Wrapper: San Andres Negro Maduro

Price: $168/Box

Quote:

In early 2009 we asked our torcedores to smoke less Liga Privada cigars because they were leaving too few to be exported. This request was met with the disappointment you would expect, but rather than being disgruntled they responded by blending their own signature liga.

Incorporating many of the same rare tobaccos, but of different vintages and primings, the cigar they created was no mere replacement. Rather it is an exceptional smoking experience of uncompromising quality and flavor that deserves to be smoked by all.

It is always the master makers who are heralded, but the reality is that great cigars are the product of many talented people, most of whom toil in factories with no publicity ever. They are the uncelebrated heroes who make all of our lives more pleasurable with the cigars they craft. And therefore, it is with great pleasure that we are now sharing their factory floor creation with you as Undercrown, borne of our worker’s ingenuity, recsourcefulness, and passion for a great cigar
- Drew Estate

Pre-Light: Smells of cedar, light traces of linseed oil, and a hint of fresh cut pine. This cigar is beautiful in every way. From the consistancy in the roll, to the flawless San Andres wrapper. You would be hard pressed to find a better looking cigar anywhere. The band is understated, but elegant using gold accents to offsent the rest of the dark blue artwork. This cigar is very heavy in the hand, having a very firm roll.

Light: I toast the foot evenly, and take a couple of puffs to get it started. I am instantly met with a wall of spice that seems to roll over my tongue, but doesn’t seem to make the sinus burn. A very buttery, beautiful chocolate follows with touches charred woodiness that leaves the back of the throat tingling.

1/3rd: The spice continues through, but it takes a backseat to the woodiness with chocolate edges. The creaminess is keeping me very surprised, as the Liga Privada lines I have reviewed in the past made me think that this smoke would be more full bodied that it is. It is a very pleasant surprise to find a maduro wrapped nicaraguan that falls into the the medium bodied categroy. It seems that far too often these days, cigar makers are chasing strength and full bodiedness and use flavor as an after-thought.

½ Way: The smoke is becoming a bit heavier now. Beginning to feel the nicotine levels rising a bit in my blood stream now. The flavor is still creamy and buttery as it was in the beginning, just not quite as much spice. The burn has remained razor sharp since lighting, I start to taste a bit of coffee in the background. It almost tastes like a Sumatra blend, having a few citrus notes in the finish. Very sweet notes follow. The natural tobacco sweetness is wonderful for retro-haling. While the cigar draws very easily, and puts off extrordinary clouds of sweet-tobacco smoke, it burns very very slow. I am now reaching the hour and 45 minute mark.

Final 3rd: A big of the creaminess has gone, but in its place is a slight hickory flavor that reminds me of the BBQ pits of Victoria, Texas that I encounter when traveling south to visit family. The chocolate sweetness has developed into a more heady cocoa tang, without being acidic or harsh. This has become what I would call an epic smoke. The smoke has also built up a bit, becoming a more medium-full bodied cigar at this point.

Final Thoughts: I had more problems trying to write a review on this cigar than any other. There are absolutely no problems with the cigar, the problems lay with me. Everytime I would get half-way into the review, I would end up leaning back and relaxing, forgetting to complete the review! It took three cigars just to get to a point where I could focus while smoking one. From the obsessive construction to the unforgettable flavors, this cigar stands out in every way possible. If you are a fan of medium to medium-full bodied smokes, it would be a crime against the leaf-gods not to try the Undercrown!

Go to dailytobacconist.com for the full review, pictures, and the final score!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Drew Estate Undercrown Toro Review

Love the undercrown! I am more a fan of the robusto than the toro but a great cigar nonetheless! Thanks for the review!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
Love the undercrown! I am more a fan of the robusto than the toro but a great cigar nonetheless! Thanks for the review!
+1 I think the robusto is a much better size for this smoke...just smoked one last night
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Trading: (0)
Ed M is on a distinguished road

I also love the Undercrown. I've only had the Robusto.
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
fricky

I recently smoked an Undercrown Robusto and thought that it was excellent. It had lots of flavor throughout the length of the cigar. It did not get hot or harsh at the end. I believe that it is the best of the Liga Privada series.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
LigaPrivadaT84

Undercrown are one of my favorites.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
INT
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
INT will become famous soon enough

They are very good. I've had the Toro and in my review I basically summed it up as a LP9
"lite". Similar flavors, though not identical, great construction and draw, gorgeous wrapper, tons of resting smoke. A great alternative to the LP9 IMO.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. One of my top 5!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, I also like the Undercrown, but not as much as the T-52.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dig the toros.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Bad Finger

Last month I bought a 10pk of Robustos and a 10pk of Toros.

The only difference I can find is that the Toros go 2:30 hours for me, and the Robbies hit 1:45. Haven't found a difference in burn or construction just yet. Glad you all liked the review!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I'm a big fan if the LP and it looks like I'm going to have to try these!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Fantastic review! These are my new favorite smoke. I really like the toro for this brand. If the LP9 was the same price, I would still probably buy the Undercrown.
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE S View Post
Thanks for the review, I also like the Undercrown, but not as much as the T-52.
I agree with you there. I just doubt I could smoke T52's every day! That's a helluva smoke.

Speaking of which, I just found boxes of the T52 toros for $196/box if anyone is interested.