Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Dolphinswin
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Dolphinswin is on a distinguished road
Default This question has been asked a lot..

I am sure this question has been asked a lot, but I need a solid answer! I'm looking into getting my first humidor, I just want one that could hold about 30 to 50 normal size Cigars. I also want it to come with a sampler. Is there any I can buy that I don't have to figure out this "seasoning" process? I'm looking to spend $80 or under. Thanks!
Dolphinswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: This question has been asked a lot..

You can find combo buy from places like cigar bid or those other sites, as far as having to figure out the seasoning process it's pretty fool proof involving a shot glass of water or a new / clean sponge and some distilled water. As the song says, "the waiting is the hardest part", if you don't want to wait or don't care if it's a nice little desktop you can always use tupperware and have a tuppador, no seasoning to figure out.

I'm sure others will have more to add, best of luck!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswin View Post
I am sure this question has been asked a lot, but I need a solid answer! I'm looking into getting my first humidor, I just want one that could hold about 30 to 50 normal size Cigars. I also want it to come with a sampler. Is there any I can buy that I don't have to figure out this "seasoning" process? I'm looking to spend $80 or under. Thanks!
I don't know of any humidor that comes pre-seasoned.
If you are investing in a humidor, it's worth investing the time to season it properly.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I don't think I would trust a humidor that came pre-seasoned. At least I know that if I have to do it, it will be done right. A tupperdor or a small cooler are other options if you don't want to deal with a traditional Spanish cedar humidor.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Trading: (1)
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

I agree with everyone who suggested a tupperdor for a non-seasoning option. I used one forever before I upgraded to my current humi and it worked great. Pick one with a good sealing lid, throw a Boveda pack in, fill with cigars and enjoy.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

In addition to the great advice given above, you can go to the following and snag a couple of samplers at a decent price as well:

http://www.cigarbid.com/Category/Sam...ortOrder=alpha

Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
badbriar

Cuban crafters has a good deal on a solid 100 count humidor for 49.99! I use one for overflow - nice piece for not much scratch. Ditch the hygrometer and sponge humidifier and replace with digital and beads, or even Boveda packs.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
You can find combo buy from places like cigar bid or those other sites, as far as having to figure out the seasoning process it's pretty fool proof involving a shot glass of water or a new / clean sponge and some distilled water. As the song says, "the waiting is the hardest part", if you don't want to wait or don't care if it's a nice little desktop you can always use tupperware and have a tuppador, no seasoning to figure out.

I'm sure others will have more to add, best of luck!
What he said. I have a regular type of humi, but since I discovered the fool-proof, high capacity storage of a cooler, that's my primary humi now.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

hilandscigars has one with 25 free cigars

http://www.hilandscigars.com/free-go...ee-cigars.html
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

as far as seasoning a humi, you can get something called a boveda seasoning pack, you just open and put it in your humidor for a week or two. although the shot glass thing is cheaper
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Whatever you do buy bigger. Trust me you will quickly wish you bought a bigger humidor.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
baust55 is on a distinguished road

yes bigger humidor is better ....agreed

Austin
baust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my way of thinking, take it for what it's worth...
If seasoning a humidor seems like a pain in the ass, and too much trouble, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you try to control the humidity in your $80 humidor. It'll drive you nuts.
Just buy a tupperware container or use ziplock bags.
Done deal.
Or prepare to be really upset wih the humidor that you don't want to season, cause you will play hell trying to keep the humidity anywhere near decent. Guaranteed.
Good luck with whatever you decide, brother!!!

Ya know what, here's a thought. Get a nice travel humi. You don't have to season anything, super easy to maintain, and it'l last you forever.