Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
dubnick

Default Ardbeg

Was suggested by a friend... But nothing further then just "try Ardbeg"

What say you all of "Ardbeg?" Any suggestions or reviews of this particular distillery.

I'm fairly new to Scotch and have mostly been a blend drinker. JW Black as the go to... Gold on special occasions.

Please help me...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ardbeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnick View Post
Was suggested by a friend... But nothing further then just "try Ardbeg"

What say you all of "Ardbeg?" Any suggestions or reviews of this particular distillery.

I'm fairly new to Scotch and have mostly been a blend drinker. JW Black as the go to... Gold on special occasions.

Please help me...
It's a peat monster. If you don't care for that, stay away. I happen to like the stinky peaty single malts, so Ardbeg is a winner for me.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
It's a peat monster. If you don't care for that, stay away. I happen to like the stinky peaty single malts, so Ardbeg is a winner for me.
Peter is 100% on this!! It will knock your socks off if you like smoky, peaty scotch! Jeremy (my son) was all over this. I had a few sips from time to time, but it was not to my liking. I'm more in the Taliskers (especially their Distiller's Edition), or Glenfiddich camp if I drink scotch.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
dubnick

Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (4)
Frodo is on a distinguished road

Ardbeg, Laphroaig & Lagavulin are sometimes known as "the Kidalton Three" and all produce extremely smoky whisky with notes of salt, seaweed and iodine. There are differances: Laphroaig has more medicinal notes (like disinfectent), Ardbeg has more citrus notes when young, and I'm not sure how to describe Lagavulin - mostly because I haven't had much. There are smoky whiskies without the coastal influences such as Benriach or Ardmore.

Ardbeg is not cheap stuff and the cost per year of age is significant. But it is widely lauded as a premium whisky.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Ardbeg has more citrus notes when young, and I'm not sure how to describe Lagavulin - mostly because I haven't had much.
Ardbeg is for sure citrusy. I had a bottle of Supernova and I was not expecting that based on how peaty they're supposed to be. Lagavulin to me has iodine taste very strong.

Go for the Ardbeg 10. Tastes a lot better than you'd expect at 10 years old and doesn't break the bank.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
dubnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Ardbeg is for sure citrusy. I had a bottle of Supernova and I was not expecting that based on how peaty they're supposed to be. Lagavulin to me has iodine taste very strong.

Go for the Ardbeg 10. Tastes a lot better than you'd expect at 10 years old and doesn't break the bank.
Excellent! I'll try Ardbeg 10 next time I'm at the bar. I'll see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
mastershogun
Feeling at Home

Trading: (47)
Bolivar
mastershogun is on a distinguished road

Can anyone speak to the differences between the 10 year (which I enjoy very much) and Uigeadail or Corryvreckan? Is it worth the price difference for a bottle? I'm looking to pick up some and was wondering if I should stick with the usual 10yr or move up the line.
mastershogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershogun View Post
Can anyone speak to the differences between the 10 year (which I enjoy very much) and Uigeadail or Corryvreckan? Is it worth the price difference for a bottle? I'm looking to pick up some and was wondering if I should stick with the usual 10yr or move up the line.
I've only had the 10 and the oogie but for me, the Uigeadail is worth it. More balance and higher ABV which means the bottle will last longer if you add water to your dram. The U is a more complex dram compared to the 10yr.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnick View Post
Given that you sound like you're used to whiskies that have more balance than Ardbeg, I would suggest either trying Ardbeg at a bar first, or trying something more smoky - kinda like dipping your toe in the water. There are some smoky blends out there - Black Bottle and The Black Grouse are two examples off the top of my head. Teachers is another although not as smoky as the first two I mentioned.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Ardbeg is smokey,and lighter bodied than Lagavulin or Laphroaig,but shares that south coast Islay punch and coastal character.If you can find a cask strength bottling to sample from,do it.The Islay character takes some getting used to,but once you develop the taste for them,it is easy to appreciate and enjoy them.
There is a newer distillery on Islay called Kilchoman,they produce a lovely dram.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
dubnick

Very helpful stuff! Thanks so much everybody! I like the idea of a smoky flavor. I've been drinking JW Double Black and it has some nice smoky notes IMHO.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Don't know, personally, but would love to also see the comments on this question!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Frodo
Adjusting to the Life

Whisky ***** (Amy Douglas) digs the Corryvreckan but she really likes whiskies that have an uber aggressive flavour profile (like off the charts aggressive - stuff like Port Charlotte, GT Stagg, Laphroaig CS etc)).