Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
fhrblig is on a distinguished road
Default Jay Cutler

Okay, I never expected to post anything defending Jay Cutler ever, after the way he left the Broncos. (I can totally understand being upset finding out the new coach almost traded you, but not talking to the owner of the team when he calls you to try to sort it out is not acceptable. It's a business, stop acting like a two-year-old.)

All this crap about him not being tough enough because he left the game with a legit knee injury is maddening. I saw him that last series he was in and he was not moving well. When he is not 100%, he makes mistakes. BAD ones. If you can't go, you can't go. I used to like Maurice Jones-Drew before he wrote that tweet about how he played all season with a bad knee. Really? Good for you. Did you make it to the Super Bowl? No? Maybe you should have gotten treatment, then. I truly hope you enjoy not being able to climb a flight of stairs when you're 40. When you can't get out of bed without someone to help you, don't come crying to me.

I saw another comment from someone saying that "Philip Rivers must be laughing his ass off right now." Yeah. From his couch, where he ALWAYS WATCHES THE PLAYOFFS. ALWAYS.
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jay Cutler

I can understand why players and former players who are criticizing him are coming from.

I can also understand his teammates defending him in public.

Clay Mathews comment about them making Cutler quit ain't helping.

Cutler is a gamer. However, he has that I don't care look on his face. He needs to be fiery ala Jeff Garcia (Only Eagles fan will get this joke ).

Bob - When he was in Denver, did he ever checked out on any of the games that you can remember?
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
I can understand why players and former players who are criticizing him are coming from.

Cutler is a gamer. However, he has that I don't care look on his face. He needs to be fiery ala Jeff Garcia (Only Eagles fan will get this joke ).

Bob - When he was in Denver, did he ever checked out on any of the games that you can remember?
Cutler seems to have reputation from the media for being aloof and disinterested. This is what's feeding the feeding frenzy. I've seen and heard some of his interviews that he gets heat over. I can't say I'd act much different in a similar situations such as fielding stupid questions from the local and national reporters. I don't know if that says something about Cutler or something about me.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

I think it's kind of simple really, if his knee was REALLY THAT BAD, why was he walking around the entire second half in 10 degree temps?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I think it's kind of simple really, if his knee was REALLY THAT BAD, why was he walking around the entire second half in 10 degree temps?
You are correct sir, I think he checked out even though he had an injury he checked out mentally. Oh well, they lost just the same.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From what I heard, it was the team doctors who ordered that he not play anymore. Not sure if Cutler contested it though. I would imagine playing QB effectively is a lot more difficult under these circumstances.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post

Honestlly? I can't remember one. I can remember plenty where I wished he had. Damn, those red zone interceptions were terrible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

The guy has an MCL sprain right? Didn’t Tom Brady play through a stress fracture in his foot? IMO and only my opinion, things were not going well and it was as good of excuse as any to turn the keys over to someone else. I think a gamer would have had to be pulled off the field kicking and screaming.

Even if his pain threshold is as weak as his chin, the guy could have been up watching the game, giving input to the guy that replaces him and other offensive players. He could have tried to help his team in any way possible.

My views are biased, as I do not like Jay Cutler. I do not like him throwing fits, I do not like him when he quits. I don’t like Jay Cutler, Sam-I-Am.

Let me add, I don't know why a team doctor would order him not to play. Though painful, playing on a sprained MCL isn't going to hold you out... People play with sprained MCL's all the time....not uncommon.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
The guy has an MCL sprain right? Didn’t Tom Brady play through a stress fracture in his foot?
i think ben is still playing with a broken foot, palamalu's Achilles still isn't healed, and i'll be shocked if pouncy doesn't play with a high ankle sprain.

as for cutler, you act like an asshole you get treated like an asshole
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Just saw where Philip Rivers said "I'd have to be taken off on a cart'. What, from your couch? 'Cause during the playoffs, that's where you are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrblig View Post
Just saw where Philip Rivers said "I'd have to be taken off on a cart'. What, from your couch? 'Cause during the playoffs, that's where you are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whoa, trash talkin' after a Divisional Championship loss!

By the way, Drew Brees played the second half of the season with a sprained MCL.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Caleb Hanie for President!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Caleb Hanie for President!
That dude had game, and scared the crap outta me. I told my wife, the worst thing for the Packers is to take Cutler out, all we needed was some young buck with something to prove. Hanie is that young buck.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Jay Cutler is the second coming of Jeff George, talented, strong arm, wild at times, no heart.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
That dude had game, and scared the crap outta me. I told my wife, the worst thing for the Packers is to take Cutler out, all we needed was some young buck with something to prove. Hanie is that young buck.
He gave us hope....twice.

Not sure if I love him or hate him, Wade.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Whoa, trash talkin' after a Divisional Championship loss!

By the way, Drew Brees played the second half of the season with a sprained MCL.
Yes, and Drew Brees is defending Cutler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrblig View Post

I saw another comment from someone saying that "Philip Rivers must be laughing his ass off right now." Yeah. From his couch, where he ALWAYS WATCHES THE PLAYOFFS. ALWAYS.
Rivers played in 7 playoff games and one of them when he had a complete tear not a sprain, Cutler has played in one, well almost one he quit early on. The injury he has is minor and players play with that all the time. I understand your a fan and they did great getting to the playoffs but as far as what he did he should be embarrased to have been walking along the sidelines after he said his knee hurt.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Wanger

Here's one thought about the sprain/grade 2 tear in his MCL that Cutler has. Having a week to get the right brace (fitted for him) would have allowed him to play following weeks. The key with a knee injury like that is giving it the required stability to perform the required movements by a QB. Could the Bears have gotten all that done during the game? I don't know.

On the other hand I will agree with Wade, in that why the he!! was he walking around the sidelines without ice on his knee, and not on crutches (or whatever)? That's what doesn't make sense about the whole thing.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitzy View Post
Rivers played in 7 playoff games and one of them when he had a complete tear not a sprain, Cutler has played in one, well almost one he quit early on. The injury he has is minor and players play with that all the time. I understand your a fan and they did great getting to the playoffs but as far as what he did he should be embarrased to have been walking along the sidelines after he said his knee hurt.
Where's the "like" button...oh, that's on Facebook.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Not sure if I love him or hate him, Wade.
I know what you're saying, but you can't knock the kid too much. Hell, he has no game experience, he played well under an EXTREME amount of pressure, then he made a bad decision. He was a part of what cost the Bears the game, but in the end, he almost pulled it off with little to no experience. Could be your future.