Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #2581
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I put this question here because this is new for me.

I was reading somewhere a post by a "cigar expert" that "one should expect a tubed cigar to have burn issues". I have never heard of this nor experienced this before.

Anyone has any insight on this idea? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #2582
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
I put this question here because this is new for me.

I was reading somewhere a post by a "cigar expert" that "one should expect a tubed cigar to have burn issues". I have never heard of this nor experienced this before.

Anyone has any insight on this idea? Thanks.
Is the expert smoking Gurkhas? The cognac infused ones in the glass tubes with the wax seals are the only ones that I've consistently heard of burn problems with and it seems to be because the cigars are packed too moist and then sealed up. No air exchange happens at all so the cigar stays overhumidifed until it's opened and smoked. The people who I knew who had the burn issues with the tubed Gurkhas started pulling them out of the tubes a few days early and dryboxing them, once they did that, the burn issues went away, so that definitely points to humidity/moisture.

This is not an exclusive problem and could happen with any cigar, boxed, bundled, loose or tubed.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #2583
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Thanks Adam, that makes sense. I hadn't considered the glass tubes being so tightly sealed.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #2584
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
JonnyThunder is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased the humidor posted bellow, but I only used distilled water to fill the humidifier, not propylene glycol. The instructions say to use a 50/50 solution of both. I have some propylene glycol on its way by mail. The humidifier isn't over filled, but it is close to it. Would it be a bad idea to wait until the humidifier dries before using propylene glycol on the second fill, or should I be a little more proactive about getting the proylene into the humidifier?

http://www.amazon.com/Mantello-Deskt...ywords=humidor
JonnyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #2585
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Is the expert smoking Gurkhas? The cognac infused ones in the glass tubes with the wax seals are the only ones that I've consistently heard of burn problems with and it seems to be because the cigars are packed too moist and then sealed up. No air exchange happens at all so the cigar stays overhumidifed until it's opened and smoked. The people who I knew who had the burn issues with the tubed Gurkhas started pulling them out of the tubes a few days early and dryboxing them, once they did that, the burn issues went away, so that definitely points to humidity/moisture.

This is not an exclusive problem and could happen with any cigar, boxed, bundled, loose or tubed.
So you are saying tubed cigars are okay? My go to cigars at the moment are tubed Ashtons. What are those tubes all about? So far I've found them useful for putting cigars out for saving, if one must be saved. Depriving the cigar of oxygen with the closed tube seems to produce a bit of moisture in it from the heat of the ember. I open it after the cigar goes out to blow the smoke out, then recap for saving. I don't save them for very long though. They usually get smoked the next day. I know cigars aren't generally saved for later after being lit, but this method seems to work relatively well.

I don't have a comfortable setup for smoking cigars. I prefer to smoke only half, sometimes less. This is why I gravitated towards tubed cigars. It contains the cigar quickly, even if it's lit, with no smell.

Last edited by JonnyThunder; 01-05-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #2586
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I would suggest pitching the humidifer and getting some humidty beads. Member CigarNut sells them and has a link in his signature for purchasing them. They can absorb humidity as well as giving it off, keeping your humidor more stable. There are several threads on the advantages of beads over other forms of humidification.

Not a fan of relighting cigars, but to each his own.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #2587
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I would suggest pitching the humidifer and getting some humidty beads. Member CigarNut sells them and has a link in his signature for purchasing them. They can absorb humidity as well as giving it off, keeping your humidor more stable. There are several threads on the advantages of beads over other forms of humidification.

Not a fan of relighting cigars, but to each his own.
Agree wholeheartedly on both points.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #2588
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyThunder View Post
So you are saying tubed cigars are okay? My go to cigars at the moment are tubed Ashtons. What are those tubes all about? So far I've found them useful for putting cigars out for saving, if one must be saved. Depriving the cigar of oxygen with the closed tube seems to produce a bit of moisture in it from the heat of the ember. I open it after the cigar goes out to blow the smoke out, then recap for saving. I don't save them for very long though. They usually get smoked the next day. I know cigars aren't generally saved for later after being lit, but this method seems to work relatively well.

I don't have a comfortable setup for smoking cigars. I prefer to smoke only half, sometimes less. This is why I gravitated towards tubed cigars. It contains the cigar quickly, even if it's lit, with no smell.

Tubed cigars ok for what? I don't understand what it is that you are asking.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #2589
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Tubed cigars ok for what? I don't understand what it is that you are asking.
What I mean is, are they generally at a good humidity level? I started rambling a bit.

Those beads sound great. I'll check them out, thanks. What size would you recommend for the humidor I posted above?

Last edited by JonnyThunder; 01-06-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #2590
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
What I mean is, are they generally at a good humidity level? I started rambling a bit.

Those beads sound great. I'll check them out, thanks. What size would you recommend for the humidor I posted above?
Anyone's guess really. Generally speaking in my experience, the Gurkha wax sealed tubed cigars are packed moist with the cognac infusion. This might be intentional so that the pre-light aroma hits you hard, but I don't know for certain. "Normal" cigars, in "Typical" tubes can be high or low, or spot on - kind of depends on the day and the cigar batch. In my experience, if you put them in your humidor for a few years with the cap sealed, you are often rewarded with a very delicately aged smoke.

I'm not sure what size your humidor is, but you can put the dimensions in at the vendor website: www.hcmbeads.com it will give you the weight you need. I would recommend oversizing by 50% or so to give yourself extra capacity, better buffering and margin for error. The owner of the company is a member here, he goes by "CigarNut" he can answer any of your questions via PM. Don't tell him I sent you though, I think he might still be upset at me about the time I accidentally ran over and smooshed his pet llama with my taxidermy penguin skateboard.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #2591
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Anyone's guess really. Generally speaking in my experience, the Gurkha wax sealed tubed cigars are packed moist with the cognac infusion. This might be intentional so that the pre-light aroma hits you hard, but I don't know for certain. "Normal" cigars, in "Typical" tubes can be high or low, or spot on - kind of depends on the day and the cigar batch. In my experience, if you put them in your humidor for a few years with the cap sealed, you are often rewarded with a very delicately aged smoke.

I'm not sure what size your humidor is, but you can put the dimensions in at the vendor website: www.hcmbeads.com it will give you the weight you need. I would recommend oversizing by 50% or so to give yourself extra capacity, better buffering and margin for error. The owner of the company is a member here, he goes by "CigarNut" he can answer any of your questions via PM. Don't tell him I sent you though, I think he might still be upset at me about the time I accidentally ran over and smooshed his pet llama with my taxidermy penguin skateboard.
1 ounce is just about right, thanks. As per the instructions that came with my humidor I've currently got a shot glass of water sitting in it along side the filled humidifier. I was worried I might break the box popping out the hygrometer, and at the time I wasn't sure if it was designed to come out, so I didn't test it. I have a digital one arriving monday. Would it be a bad idea to put my cigars in the humidor now with the shot glasses of water still inside? It's had about 5 days to humidify. The hygrometer has stopped rising at 67 percent. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it's level. And no worries, I won't say a word.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #2592
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
1 ounce is just about right, thanks. As per the instructions that came with my humidor I've currently got a shot glass of water sitting in it along side the filled humidifier. I was worried I might break the box popping out the hygrometer, and at the time I wasn't sure if it was designed to come out, so I didn't test it. I have a digital one arriving monday. Would it be a bad idea to put my cigars in the humidor now with the shot glasses of water still inside? It's had about 5 days to humidify. The hygrometer has stopped rising at 67 percent. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it's level. And no worries, I won't say a word.
5 days for one of the small humidors you could probably take the shot glasses out and just put your cigars and beads in. Generally speaking, the built in analog hygrometers that come with inexpensive humidors are typically junk, don't even waste your time with them.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #2593
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
5 days for one of the small humidors you could probably take the shot glasses out and just put your cigars and beads in. Generally speaking, the built in analog hygrometers that come with inexpensive humidors are typically junk, don't even waste your time with them.
You were sure right about that. The analogue hygrometer was way off. Unfortunately my humidor is also a piece of junk. It will not hold humidity even after seasoning it three times. When I look at the seal I can visibly see that the wood does not make contact. I've ditched the entire thing for a sealable glass jar the owner of a smoke shop near me recommended.

Recently, when I've been smoking my cigars I've noticed something peculiar. I try to keep my cigars from burning too hot by keeping the ember low, but in the process of doing that what seems to happen is that only the center of the cigar burns. It winds up burrowing a hole into the cigar. Only the filler burns, not the binder or outer leaf. When I try to remedy this situation by keeping the ember burning hotter, I find that I get too much smoke and heat.

Once, I noticed that the hole burrowing itself through the cigar was tending to one side, and I also noticed that it seemed to take the shape of the cut I had made in the cigar. What I mean is, it seemed that I had made an insufficient cut and this was the source of the problem. However, making a larger cut did not resolve the problem. The cigar burned too loose and hot, and gave out too much smoke for my liking.

I enjoy a "cool" smoke. Sometimes when I smoke a cigar just right, I notice that it leaves a cooling sensation in the mouth that I love. What measures can I take to encourage this? Also, how can I discourage only the filler from burning?

Last edited by JonnyThunder; 01-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #2594
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

This burrowing is called "Tunneling" and often happens when the cigars are too wet. You might try dry-boxing your cigars for a few days before smoking them to see if that helps.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #2595
Diver41
DiverDown

First Name: Ron
Army (Retired)
Diver41 is on a distinguished road

My wife got me a nice Lotus lighter a while back. It is the one with a cutter as part of it.

When I fill the lighter I do not see the bubble that says it is filled and it does not seem to last near as long as it should. I am using quality fuel, and doing the routine of purging, turning volume off, filling then letting it sit.
No bubble to show fuel level is ever visible and after toasting and maybe relighting maybe 3 or 4 sticks it needs to be filled again.
Diver41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #2596
FBing
Just in from the Storm

FBing is on a distinguished road

I understand that the proper way to refill a butane lighter is to bleed it of all gas that is in it and fill after the old gas is out. I do this and it seems to fill nicely and last a long time.
FBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #2597
Diver41
DiverDown

First Name: Ron
Army (Retired)
Diver41 is on a distinguished road

Thanks FBing, I have ensured the lighter is empty and turned all the way down as instructed. Don't know what else to try. Maybe Lotus fuel? If not send it in I guess
Diver41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #2598
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

HailTheBrownLeaf is on a distinguished road

This might sound really dumb but what the heck...

Is it ok to stack a ziplock baggie with 1 non-Cuban cigar and one 69% Boveda pack in it (that I've been using for almost a month) on top of another Ziploc baggie with 5 Cubans in it and a new 69% Boveda pack (that I just activated) and got today???

Having 2 ziplocks laying on top of each other (with Bovedas and cigars in each) on my desk (until I get my tuppador) wouldn't do anything bad would it??
HailTheBrownLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #2599
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Nothing bad will happen
Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #2600
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Your cigars will be fine for a long time