Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road
Default Which one, PS3 or XBox 360

I am a guy that likes First person shooters but some of the new games look fun, i have a new HD tv and want a system that is fun,
I have an original x-box but getting kinda limited there... its gonna crap out some day.

So I am trying to find one that I will like,
any ideas?
anyone have both?
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which one, PS3 or XBox 360

I bought the xbox 360 because allot of the regular xbox games I have are compatible with the new system.From what I have read the Xbox and the PS3 are not that much different when it comes to game quality.The only plus to the PS3 is it plays Blue DVD's as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Darrell

I like XBOX 360, they have a ton of kick ass games. The only downfalls IMO is you have to pay $7 a month to play online, where the PS3 does not charge. The downfall to PS3 IMO is the load times and the lack of good games.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

If it will be primarily for gaming, I would say Xbox

if it will be truly multi-purpose (like in my case) and you'll use it for some gaming, some media center duties, and as your blu ray player, then the PS3

I'm not a hardcore gamer (I play 2-3 different games, CoD, NCAA and Burnout) so I don't need Xbox's variety, but if you play a lot of games and play a lot, Xbox is better for that still
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

Montecristo

I cant play online at home cause no connection that far out. But I have to ask, is blue really that good to warrant geting the ps..i also wonder about which platform will make me more motion sick...any twitchy games worse than others on the compared platforms?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Good advice here. I own a ps3. I use it as a blueray player. It has built in wifi too which is nice. Game wise, as long as I have my gran turismo I am happy. If you prefer the games on xbox and want those games, get an xbox. Bluray players will be cheap enough soon and the xbox is cheaper so it will almost be a wash if you want both.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglizard1 View Post
I cant play online at home cause no connection that far out. But I have to ask, is blue really that good to warrant geting the ps..i also wonder about which platform will make me more motion sick...any twitchy games worse than others on the compared platforms?
I don't know if it would warrant buying the machine just for the player, but blu ray is BAD. ASS.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglizard1 View Post
Blu-ray is worth it in my opinion. And to be honest, I would not be surprised if within the next 5-6 years, it will become the "common".

Im a PS3 owner. Ive always stood behind Sony and their gaming consoles. 1. Hardware is superior. PS3 as of now is only harnessing 3 out of its 6 cells, meaning, games will only look better. 2. Free online. And now that the Home network is launching, things will get even better. 3. Games. Yes, bash all you want, but the only game that I would like to play on the XBox is Gears of War, thats it. Saying that, I would miss a LOT of Sony exclusives if I didnt have a PS3. MGS4, Little Big Planet, Killzone, RESISTANCE, Uncharted, etc...
4. Compare faultiness between both consoles. PS3 hardware problems lie in the 1-2% range if memory serves me right. Xbox? I can openly say every single one of my friends has gotten the red eye of death.

I can go on for longer, but Im tired, and Im obviously a PS3 supporter. Theres just too many negatives to the XBox 360 for me, er-go I will never buy one. But, it all depends on you and what you will be using it for, what you have played in the past, and what you are comfortable with.

Plus, the PS3 looks goddam sexy
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

I would add, for 400 bucks, the PS3 is one of the best blu ray players available. I processes True HD sound and all that jazz which you don't get in cheaper players. So if you have the home-theater to take advantage of its features you will be very pleased.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

Montecristo

These reply's have all been great so far thanks every one.... keep em coming... Christmas is still coming and I might have to find one of these yet.... Does the ps connect to my Bravia series home theater throught the digital input? I dont have the HDMI input into the system but I can go into the HDMI for the TV.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

PS3 has an HDMI and Optical Out

my cheapie home theater amp doesn't have HDMI either, so I run HDMI to the TV and Optical to the receiver. It's not ideal, but it works fine
Old 12-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #12
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

I prefer the XBox 360, which I have. But that is because I like the true variety of games available to you. I am not very good with all the technical stuff, but as far as the games, and playability, I like the 360.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Personally I love the 360. Yea I don't have blu-ray and wi-fi on the console but games are much better and the load time is faster.

If you want to get a console just because if the blu-ray then by all means. I would give it time though because blu-ray players willl eventually come down in price and get better with technology like when plasma TV's firt came out. So if you like gaming I would recommend the 360.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

PS3 for the sake of reliability, Blu-ray, an expanding list of game franchises, as well as some great ones from the past. Not to mention the 2 best games of easily the past 5 years are exclusive to the PS3. Little Big Planet and MGS4.

I own a 360. I'll rent exclusives for it. Anything cross platform stays with the PS3, as my friends list is much larger there.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #15
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

For me it is the PS3 for Call of Duty... As a bonus you get an top of the line Blu-ray player out of the deal!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

PS3. Free online gameplay, free blu-ray player, better games. Oh yeah, I am always reading how Xbox guys are having to send theirs back to the factory b/c you get the "Red Ring of Death". Google it. That should convince you to get a PS3. I know I would hate to send my system away for a week every month or so.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #17
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Um. Like someone said, multi-purpose, blu-ray player, gaming, media center, ps3 hands down.

However, if you're a pure gamer, get a 360, get it modded, and downlaod/burn games for free. IMHO.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I would suggest the PS3, just because of how capable it is. Can access the internet, blu ray player, hook an external hard drive to it with movies or music on it, and they are starting to catch up on games.... although slowly. Have a few games like Little Big Planet that is awesome and for the PS3 only. Blu Ray was a big selling point for me.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #19
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

You can also run Linux on a PS3... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3
Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #20
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

I own both and if I had to choose which one to keep it would be my PS3 because of the Blu Ray player. However you can't go wrong with the 360.