Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favorite ring, what do you like to smoke?

What's your favorite ring guage?
I've worked my way down from torps and toros to robustos to corona gordas. Seems I really levitate to the 50 and under rings almost exclusively.
For me, a 46 ring box pressed is perfect. I wish all my cigars were like that.
What does it for you? Why?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite ring, what do you like to smoke?

Lanceros, Corona/Corona Especial/Corona Gorda tend to be my favorites. For sticks that only come in larger RG i try to stick with Toro, or Robusto, and rarely smoke Churchills.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

i could see you liking a big ring gauge

i'll dabble in the 28-36 but really prefer 46-52, edmundo and short boli perfect examples
Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
Lanceros, Corona/Corona Especial/Corona Gorda tend to be my favorites. For sticks that only come in larger RG i try to stick with Toro, or Robusto, and rarely smoke Churchills.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Like pretty much everyone, I stared in the 50+ RG arena. Now, pretty much anything over a 46 is too much for me.

As an example... I love RASS and Mag50 flavor profiles, but I HATE the ring gauge.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

I've been favoring the 50 and under gauges. I started with big, beefy ring gauges, but I'm slowly transitioning to the smaller guages becuase I've enjoyed how they smoke.

I still like the torps though...those will always have a place in my heart.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
MarioF

I like 2 sizes; 42ish and 54. The 42 is a perfect size for me for a quicker smoke but when I'm in the mood for a longer smoke the 54 works perfect.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
i could see you liking a big ring gauge
Ahhhhh, Fabio....
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I seem to be gravitating towards Lanceros (35-38ish), Lonsdales (44-46ish) and Coronas (42-44ish) lately but that doesn't mean I don't like a nice Robusto (my current favorite stick is a robusto 52rg).

I'm not a huge fan of ultra-large ring gauges (58-60ish) because I find it difficult to get a pull off of sometimes...

Although when it comes to a good cigar, I rarely pay too much attention to ring gauge; I'm usually more concerned with smoke time.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Darrell

I pretty much like anything under 50. I'll smoke a Robusto, but I prefer to smoke sub 50 RG.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

52 and under. 54 is pushing it a bit. Cant stand 56 at all.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

My tastes have changed drastically over the years and continue to do so. I started big, like +50, then got into CCs and my preference began dropping lower and lower towards PCs and Lonsdales. but lately I've been creeping back up a little to 44-46, and I'm starting to enjoy Robustos a lot more frequently as well.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
m_hane

I say the bigger the better. If it fits in your cutter, go for it!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I've not had a whole lot of luck with lanceros. They always seem to run on me and they're way too long. They get in my way and kinda handcuff me.
I haven't seen any 4 or 5" lanceros, that'd be a nice length in that ring. A lot less awkward.
As much as I like a PC, I bet I'd really love a shorter lancero.
Maybe I should revisit them and chop a few inches off?
I've always thought I would really enjoy the Oliva V lancero, but my few experiences were just plain awful. Maybe if I put a box up for a year, they'd burn right for me, eh?
At what RH are you guys keeping your lanceros to make them burn right for you? How long are you setting them back before you dig in?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I pretty much like anything under 50. I'll smoke a Robusto, but I prefer to smoke sub 50 RG.

Corona Gorda is my favorite, but I love me some lanceros and panatellas as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've not had a whole lot of luck with lanceros. They always seem to run on me and they're way too long. They get in my way and kinda handcuff me.
I haven't seen any 4 or 5" lanceros, that'd be a nice length in that ring. A lot less awkward.
As much as I like a PC, I bet I'd really love a shorter lancero.
Maybe I should revisit them and chop a few inches off?
I've always thought I would really enjoy the Oliva V lancero, but my few experiences were just plain awful. Maybe if I put a box up for a year, they'd burn right for me, eh?
At what RH are you guys keeping your lanceros to make them burn right for you? How long are you setting them back before you dig in?
The trick I've learned with Lanceros is to smoke them slow and pull on them lightly. Rh is around 65-68.

For a smaller Lancero (which you've probably tried) look at the DPG Black Label 1977 AKA Petite Lancero or Corona Especiales. Even the CC Cohiba makes a Corona Especiales. Same basic ring gauge in a shorter smoke.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
darkninja67

The thing with lanceros is that they usually draw like crap for me.

I tend to prefer the 50 rg if anything.

And Scott, box pressed 46 gauge? PAM Monarca?? lol
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Mpython24

anything that is in the 45-50 range for me. One of my favs would be a CAO gold maduro. 5 and a half by 45. Great for a short smoke. Anything over 55 is like meh, not so much, for me anyhow.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Lanceros are too long and tend to either go out or get hot from being so thin IMO. I prefer 48 ring and above and no longer than 6". I have no need to smoke a 3 hour Churchill, ever. I very rarely smoke any 60 ring cigars, but the Miami Knuckle was tasty!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Another one for the 50 +/- size
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote