Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road
Default Jfr lunatic loco el Gran loco

Size: 5.5x80 perfecto.

Preliminary observations: a chunky perfecto with a smooth, slightly oily wrapper with a pigtail cap. It's a bit like an oversize flying pig vitola from Drew estate. It doesn't require the use of an oversize cutter, a regular guillotine cutter works fine and yields a nice open draw. It has an aroma of pepper and dry tobacco. Dry puff is peppery.

Flavors:9/10 the first light yields a medium body blast of pepper, with hints of leather, earthiness, and cedar, with a peppery finish. It does require double puffs, and puffing fairly often. At the 1/3 point it is medium full body, and flavors shift to leather and wood, with a bit of caramelized onions and toffee, and a coffee finish. Pepper is only on the retrohale. They stay pretty much until the end, with creaminess coming in just past the halfway point. Burn time was an hour and a half. I smoked it until an inch remained.

Construction:8/10 it did require a few touch ups. But it is an 80 rg perfecto, what did you expect-o (sorry, had to do it) ash was super flaky, but stayed on 3.5 inches.

Final thoughts: this was a really nice cigar. I hope this is a regularly released cigar now that it is out, and not just a one time thing. This is definitely on my buy a box or 2 list.
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jfr lunatic loco el Gran loco

Great review Clay!
I'm a big fan of the Lunatic short robustos so I was really curious how these new ones would smoke & now it looks like I'll have to try them soon as well!
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Just tried my first Lunatic and got absolutely no flavor other than tobacco. I have one more, hope it was just a dud stick.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Just tried my first Lunatic and got absolutely no flavor other than tobacco. I have one more, hope it was just a dud stick.
I'm a big fan of the Aganorsa Leaf cigars but never got much from their JFR line. Try the Miami Reserva. Or, on the Cbid cheap side, try the Nica Libre by Aganorsa.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote