Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Video upscaling worth it?

Hey guys, I need some opinions from the videophile inmates. My wife and I recently made the jump to HDTV, purchasing a Vizio E370VL when our ancient Zenith console died. We have 3 inputs, a Sony DVP-CX850XD 200-DVD changer, Wii, and PS2. These are all connected through a Monoprice component switch, as the Vizio only has one component input.
I was reading an article about video upconversion that got me thinking. The DVD player outputs at 480i (it was apparently the last model before Sony made progressive scan a standard feature). The Wii and PS2 output at 480P (and on the PS2, only if the game supports it). I've seen a few video scaler or converters boxes that seem to get good reviews, but are also pricey. Also, I'm not really interested in getting a single-disc upconverting player. We'd rather make the jump to Blu-ray than buy new DVD hardware (Sony's Blu-ray 400-disc player looks sweet but way out of our budget, and doesn't help with the gaming consoles).
So, video experts, what are our options? Cost is definitely a factor. I'm about 5 weeks away from becoming a 99er, and my wife recently lost her job. But, being on a budget, watching DVDs and gaming are a large part of our entertainment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
mariogolbee

Default Re: Video upscaling worth it?

The old PS3 is what you need IMO. Not just anyone, but (I think the 60gig), which will be a minor chore to find. They stopped making them after a while. It has blu-ray, video up-conversion, PS1 and PS2 up-conversion and compatibility, and kicks butt. I think this is the right console and device for you and if you find it, it will be used and hopefully cheap. This one version of the PS3 has more features than any other PS3 out there. Happy hunting...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
mariogolbee

I just took a quick look around fleabay and the net and I think it's actually the 80G version.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
The old PS3 is what you need IMO. Not just anyone, but (I think the 60gig), which will be a minor chore to find. They stopped making them after a while. It has blu-ray, video up-conversion, PS1 and PS2 up-conversion and compatibility, and kicks butt. I think this is the right console and device for you and if you find it, it will be used and hopefully cheap. This one version of the PS3 has more features than any other PS3 out there. Happy hunting...

I don't have one myself, but I think this is about your best option, especially if you are looking for an inexpensive route. The PS3 ain't cheap, but it's probably cheaper and easier than any other option.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm not a videophile but apparently the TV puts out 1080P and 85%+ of our dvds are 1080P blu-ray all I know is they look good.

For the record we setup a Media PC and play everything off the computer. So there isn't much equipment needed. Just tons of 1 terabyte hard drives and a computer with a blu-ray drive.

Not sure if that helps your current situation but down the road it's an awesome way to go.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Your TV *CAN* do the scaling for you, up to 1080p. It comes down to which you like better - the way your TV scales the DVD or the way an upscaling DVD player or Blu-Ray player scales the DVD up to 1080p.

Forgot about all the numbers and P's - how does it look to you now?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I just found this converter on Monoprice. It accepts component and outputs HDMI. Only outputs at 720P, but it's an example of one option I was talking about. Ideally, I'd want something that would accept up to three inputs, so I don't have to chain switches and converters.
Mario, SWMBO ain't buying the PS3 suggestion. Thanks for trying, brother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Your TV *CAN* do the scaling for you, up to 1080p. It comes down to which you like better - the way your TV scales the DVD or the way an upscaling DVD player or Blu-Ray player scales the DVD up to 1080p.
This model doesn't upscale as far as I can tell (and the Vizio site). The input says 480I/P depending on what's connected.
Quote:
Forgot about all the numbers and P's - how does it look to you now?
It looks much better than my old console, of course. I'm just looking to squeeze the best video out of my setup as I can.

Last edited by Kreth; 02-02-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I just took a quick look around fleabay and the net and I think it's actually the 80G version.
I believe there were three versions that were backwards compatible:
20GB original release
60GB original release
80GB with the serial # ending in CECHE01 (I believe made in 07)
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

We have a very inexpensive Toshiba upscaling DVD recorder. Does a very good job making DVD's shine.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Domer
Just living the dream

First Name: Derek
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Domer is on a distinguished road

From what I have read the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen smaller than 42 inches is negligible at best. so if the composite to hdmi converter works as an upscaler that may be the best option for you.

Also +1 for cheap upscaling dvd player if you aren't ready to dive into the blu-ray market. I've seen them for as low as $30 dollars at the sam's, bj's, costco type stores.

as for the ps3, another selling point to your wife may be that it is future proof and can constantly be updated. Mine is from 2007 and a free standard upgrade updated it to being able to act as a 3d bluray player.

good luck
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Today's Woot would do the trick:

http://www.woot.com/

Memorex Wi-Fi Connected Blu-ray Player - $89.99

Netflix, blockbuster built in too.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
From what I have read the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen smaller than 42 inches is negligible at best. so if the composite to hdmi converter works as an upscaler that may be the best option for you.

Also +1 for cheap upscaling dvd player if you aren't ready to dive into the blu-ray market. I've seen them for as low as $30 dollars at the sam's, bj's, costco type stores.

as for the ps3, another selling point to your wife may be that it is future proof and can constantly be updated. Mine is from 2007 and a free standard upgrade updated it to being able to act as a 3d bluray player.

good luck
True..

Don't bother upscaling.

Wii-PS2-dvd player...no point and you won't notice a difference.

In concern for your future events, save the money and just be happy with a flat screen.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Thanks for the comments, guys. I think we'll hold off until we're both back to work (or my lottery ticket comes in).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Just a question so I'm on the same page. Is this post about upconverting?
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySmith View Post
Just a question so I'm on the same page. Is this post about upconverting?
Is there a difference between upscaling and upconverting? I've seen them used pretty much interchangeably, even on sites like avsforum.com...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Is there a difference between upscaling and upconverting? I've seen them used pretty much interchangeably, even on sites like avsforum.com...
haha, you're frowny face makes me seem i'm still confused. That's okay. I hope you got your answer
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySmith View Post
haha, you're frowny face makes me seem i'm still confused. That's okay. I hope you got your answer
I thought you thought I was expatriating my numerology, so I wanted to solidify what I was vociferating. Better?
Posted via Mobile Device