Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road
Default Alienware

Okay online gamers my son graduates from H.S. this year and we are buying him a new laptop. He is trying to sell me on this brand but I know very little about them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alienware

I've never messed with one, but I've followed there website for a number of years. They seem to be a division of Dell that is focused on catering to PC gamers. They offer some cutting edge stuff compared to other manufactures.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
DougBushBC

For most serious gamers, "Gaming" and "Laptop" don't go well together. I would certainly consider either choosing an afordable laptop for school use and working towards a good gaming unit, OR just spending some money on a decent gaming rig. That being said I spent MANY hours in college gaming on my Powerbook Titanium and it was a great experience.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
For most serious gamers, "Gaming" and "Laptop" don't go well together. I would certainly consider either choosing an afordable laptop for school use and working towards a good gaming unit, OR just spending some money on a decent gaming rig. That being said I spent MANY hours in college gaming on my Powerbook Titanium and it was a great experience.

Get him a small and light laptop for college...then get to help pay for a "Gaming PC" that he can put in his room with a nice monitor.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
DougBushBC

As for Alienware, they make good products, but you pay for appearance. If that is an issue, go for it. They used to be one of the best Independents in the Biz, and Dell bought them a few years back and have effed them up a bit.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

It's just an overpriced Dell XPS now...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Good machine, but way overpriced IMHO. I would just get him a Dell Outlet unit. http://www.dell.com/outlet

I usually uncheck the "Lease Return" and "Scratch and Dent" options.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
It's just an overpriced Dell XPS now...
I don't know that I'd go that far, they actually still use higher quality parts rather than the lowest bidder crap that dell uses on their normal boxes. But for a well specced gaming rig, you will pay $3k or more from Alienware. I bought a rig from them a couple years ago and it's great. Their tech support is also better than the normal dell jobbies, separate number.

If you are looking to get a gaming laptop, you will pay $4k+ for a good build, and it is more of a portable desktop than an actual laptop - you'll be lucky to get 45mins on battery. Not worth it, IMO.

If he is really serious about a gaming rig, one of the higher end shops like Alienware or Falcon are really the only way to go, outside of building your own. I've done both and prefer avoiding the hassle of the build and the convenience of having tech support on the phone.

If you are interested in building your own, Tom's Hardware is a good resourse. That article is one of their recent system builder contests, which should have multiple builds at different price points.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I have a friend who has one and hates it. It's been shipped back for warranty repairs twice in the 18 months he's owned it. They're flashy and weigh a ton. I think you could do better for the money.

Chris.....
Old 05-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

my only concern would be that if your son is going to college and will be using the laptop for school work as well, I've heard alienware laptops have horrible battery life. This may have changed with the most recent models, but if it is still the case having something that won't die during the middle of class would be better.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
my only concern would be that if your son is going to college and will be using the laptop for school work as well, I've heard alienware laptops have horrible battery life. This may have changed with the most recent models, but if it is still the case having something that won't die during the middle of class would be better.
You will get crap battery out of any laptop specced for gaming. Video cards just pull too much power.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
You will get crap battery out of any laptop specced for gaming. Video cards just pull too much power.
Yah, thats what I figured. Just didn't know if they made any improvements since I last looked at the specs. I switched to Apple 4 years ago and have been getting more and more out of the loop with PCs lately.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
LeoM
&quot;Say what again!&quot;

First Name: Leo
Trading: (87)
Partagas
LeoM will become famous soon enoughLeoM will become famous soon enough

If ya want a gaming rig that "might" not break the bank, voodoo pc and widow pc both make some nice units (I say "might" as price is based on how you rig them). If you're looking for a nice gaming laptop that definately won't break the bank, MSI makes a few that are pretty nice. I've played alot of more demanding games (Crysis, CoD4, WoW, etc.) and even with my mid-level model, it's handled them nicely. I guess it all depends on how far into the extreme you want to go with "gaming".
LeoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great input. I should have given more detail.

He is not a hardcore gamer but does like his WoW not to lag...That being said I will probably be looking for something a bit more reasonably priced.

Thanks,

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post

He is not a hardcore gamer but does like his WoW not to lag...That being said I will probably be looking for something a bit more reasonably priced.

Thanks,

T
You definitely don't need an Alienware to get the most out of WoW. The requirements are actually quite low and just about any laptop with a slightly upgraded video card can handle it easily.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

My years old Compaq handles WoW okay, back when I played for a week or two. However, I went the cheap laptop (Sam's Club display model of a Compaq Presario for $600) and a gaming rig that I put together myself. For real gaming you definitely want a desktop. The compromise between laptop benefits (size, battery life, portability, weight, etc) and gaming rig requirements (power draining, big monitor, comfortable peripherals, etc) is a fairly worthless machine. Better to have 2 machines that do different things very well then on that does both badly.

Just my
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

I've had all kinds of laptops and my current set up suits me perfectly. I got an ASUS 1000he netbook for general web surfing and carrying around and built a custom desktop to do anything rigorous. I realized that I didn't really need to carry around most of my computing power and it was cheaper and more efficient to go with two units. This way I have plenty of battery power and plenty of computing power.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

I have two as well, an alienware desktop that rocks whatever games I throw at it, and an older dell laptop that I take with me on the train when I commute. Honestly, the only reason to get a gaming laptop is for lan parties, or if you do a lot of travelling. Basically, due to the crap battery life, it winds up being tied to the power supply regardless of where you go, but it's easier to carry around than tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagaspete View Post

Thanks,

T
Hell Tony you could go with the latest Macbook to do WOW.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Going to agree with two of the points made. Laptops are junk for gaming. And alienware is just overpriced dell.
I know a few people that have alienware pcs and most wish they would have spent 1/2 the money and got what they really wanted. Also, their warranties are junk.