Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Are you tasting what you think you are?

In my review of the Padron 3000, TheRiddick posted some very intersting information that I hadn't considered before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
"Dryness" is a sign of improperly grown tobacco. Unripe tobacco leaves contain unripe tannins, which leads to a sensation of "courseness" on the palate. Same as in wine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
I know you weren't doubting my post, I simply provided more facts. Weather is always a big factor with any agricultural crop and both grapes and tobacco are more "sensitive" to show the effects as there is no margin for error.

Another point to add is that reading through TNs posted on the board it is clear to me that a number of people mistake "pepper" notes for unripe tannins in some cigars. 5 Vegas Miami blend is one of them, what people think is "pepper hit" is actually very nasty, green and seriously unripe tannins. Smoke one and see for yourself.

I would not put Padron in that same group. Are they unripe to the point of being bad? Not in my opinion. But they also could use some more ripeness to reach the levels of pleasure they used to deliver in the '90s. I keep buying a few Padrons in different vitolas from time to time to see how they are doing, but so far I am in full agreement with the OP in the thread, they are OK smokes, but that is all there is.

At least the prices are fine and holding steady for a long time by now, and I applaud them for that. I just wish they made just a bit more of an effort.
Your thoughts?
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Namerifrats

Default Re: Are you tasting what you think you are?

Worth thinking about.....but that part about 5 Vegas Miami....don't know about that. I've smoked maybe 15+ of them, never had a "bad one" taste wise. I get the same "peppery" flavors from them that I get from a Partagas Black or La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 5. Some people may just prefer smooth and milder cigars and not like the peppery flavors and think it's a nasty taste.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I have no doubts about what I am tasting...

I smoke Arganese!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
mariogolbee

I used to mistake "pepper" more bitter. I think I can often enough tell the difference now. Bitter leaves a nasty after taste and pepper leaves a warmth. If I'm wrong then it feel's good to be so...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Well I cant attest to the Pepper vs. tannin statement... I do have a question, however.

If Padrons were to be aged, like CCs, would this ripen more tannins out, or does this need to be done before the process of rolling?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough

its really simple...

You need to wet the cigars.....

South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I have no doubts about what I am tasting...

I smoke Arganese!!!

And thats why you are the man!
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Well I cant attest to the Pepper vs. tannin statement... I do have a question, however.

If Padrons were to be aged, like CCs, would this ripen more tannins out, or does this need to be done before the process of rolling?
That needs to be done far before rolling. It needs to be done in harvesting. Or possibly in fermenting and/or curing at the latest.

Anyway, I don't know if I agree with The Riddick for my taste. What I personally take as "pepper" doesn't taste like it isn't supposed to be there; I hate it for violating the laws of good taste and smoking enjoyment, but it never seems "wrong" to the blend. I've tasted "green" cigars (I'm looking at you, Mag 50 >:0) and it isn't a pepper thing. It just tastes like smoking raw leaves - it's bitter and "plant-y." Pepper to me has always come off as something that appears to be part of the blend, rather than a product of improper processing. What I usually attribute to improper processing often gives me a sensation similar to biting into a grape seed - a tart bitterness that strikes the very back of the tongue, independent of other tastes (either shows through other present "proper" tobacco flavors, or stands alone a taste vacuum). Like I said before, it tastes "plant-y" and actually brings to mind "green" as a taste, because I immediately think of the taste and smell of a raw tree branch. Perhaps this pepper thing is true of tannins in wine, but pepper often doesn't seem out of place in cigar blends, and according to manufacturer and retailer descriptions, usually it's there because it's supposed to be.

I do definitely agree with him about the "dryness" and courseness on the palate. I often get cigars that I describe to have a "gritty" taste, or a "dry" taste, and it doesn't seem consistent (as in it doesn't seem intended with the blend). This is indeed unripe tannins, and there's no arguing there - this is the cause of the "green" tastes I described above. I get this a lot with Dominican tobacco (Dominican tobacco can go straight to Hell anyway, but this just adds to its sins).

Last edited by Snake Hips; 01-29-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Always beware of people asserting objectivity to taste.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
Tashaz

There is video around of an interview with Jorge Padron. In it he states "Spice is never something I have contributed to a good cigar" or something to that effect. Padron's history is in cuba. There is not a lot of cuban cigars that have "spice" as talked about commonly. Spice can be read two ways as the OP said, pepper or tannin. There is not much else IMHO, unless you work for CA magazine, then you might have a south gautamalian red coffee spice!. LOL.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You taste what you taste. How can anyone tell you what you taste?

That's why I don't take alot of stock in reviews. They can be fun to read but I never buy or not buy based on a review.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

To me, it tastes good or bad. But I'm an uncouth heathen, what do I know.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Addiction

I disagree with TheRiddick but I do know what he means. However if you smoke enough and your blessed (because some of taste more than others) you can develop a palette. I think I've smoked enough cigars to tell the difference between green cigars and pepper as a flavor.

However when he talks about ripening tobacco as far as I know only fruits can continue to ripen after they are picked and only some of them.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Very interesting discussion. I don't detect much black pepper in cigars I smoke, even when people call them peppery. and I smoke a lot of Pepin sticks. However, I do get a range of other spices including, red pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom ...

Something that I have learned to detect is under-fermented tobacco. Kind of a green, syrupy taste. It can be interesting, but ultimately I think it reduces the cigars body and complexity (kind of like residual sugar in wine - although that adds body), and the memory of the flavor isn't as pleasant. Luckily I think this problem is rare in the cigar industry and I have only detected it in pre-production sticks and fake ccs.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I disagree with TheRiddick but I do know what he means. However if you smoke enough and your blessed (because some of taste more than others) you can develop a palette. I think I've smoked enough cigars to tell the difference between green cigars and pepper as a flavor.

However when he talks about ripening tobacco as far as I know only fruits can continue to ripen after they are picked and only some of them.
I think the use of the word "ripeness" refers to the chemical changes that continue to occur as a cigar ages. While most fermentation occurs while the tobacco is in bales(for wine its barrels), after the cigar is rolled or the wine is bottled, chemical changes continue to occur. Often a freshly rolled CC will show signs of sickness or the off gassing of ammonia. This is not usually found in NC's as most times the tobaccos are aged for a longer period before rollin. In both wines and cigars its the tannins that give that "bite" on the back of the tongue, some tasters like that others do not. As a cigar or wine ages these tannins change chemically and smooth or mellow in flavor. Not all the pepper notes are an indication of "greenness" in a cigar, but as The Riddick said, many with less experienced palates do make this mistake.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

I don't really agree with the part about 5 Vegas, I feel like its actually a spicy cigar. IMHO A cigar really that stands out in my mind as being "tanniny" is the Padilla 1968. I bought a 10 pack about a year ago, and every time I smoke one I regret it, because to my palate, the tannins overpower every other taste.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
There is video around of an interview with Jorge Padron. In it he states "Spice is never something I have contributed to a good cigar" or something to that effect. Padron's history is in cuba. There is not a lot of cuban cigars that have "spice" as talked about commonly. Spice can be read two ways as the OP said, pepper or tannin. There is not much else IMHO, unless you work for CA magazine, then you might have a south gautamalian red coffee spice!. LOL.
I disagree. I find I taste lots of spice in cigars, and most of the time it is neither pepper nor tannin. I often taste white pepper, red pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Black pepper is the "pepper" taste to me, and I hate it most of the time. And no, I don't find it a lot in Habanos. But I do encounter many spicy Habanos that aren't tannic.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
BC-Axeman

I need help with the word "pepper". There is the distinct taste of black pepper, just like grains of pepper sprinkled on your tongue. I like this, myself. Then there is the pungent bite of peppers not associated with any particular taste, like in chillies. These two are very different to me but may be caused by the same thing.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

A good example of the "Pepper" taste as a negative, for me, was found in the RP ITC 10th Anniversary. After the distinct "pepper" taste, what was left was a dry filmy residue like texture on my tougue. A bitter taste left on the pallet as well. Anyone find this to be as well?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Even when I'm tasting what I think I am I'm not sure what I'm tasting......

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote