Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Munt

Default Pipe Newb Questions

Sorry guys for running you all through the same stuff but here goes.

I am new to pipes but have smoked Cigars for about 4 years now. So I only have that to DRAW from get it...... anyway.

1. when I have the bowl lit how much of the surface should be burning at one time. For me please think of looking down the bowl as the top of a cigar. Should the whole thing be lit or what percentage should be lit.

2. How much smoke should be coming from the bowl when I'm not puffing. Should there be a steady stream or just a bit or none at all.

3. Lastly, when puffing should the draw be like air or should there be some resistance? I've read the "Sucking through a straw" but that's not a lot of resistance.

Thanks fellas for clearing some things up.

Munt!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pipe Newb Questions

1. I am not exactly sure how to respond to this. I guess there is no real proper rule on surface area burn, as long as you are getting smoke you're good.

2. Depends, right after you take a puff there may be little swirls coming up but usually smoke does not float up from the bowl when you aren't puffing, the tobacco is just smoldering.

3. You shouldn't have to try to hard to get a draft, it should be fairly easy and free flowing. Walk on the side of caution if you find the resistance is extremely light you can tamp lightly to satisfaction. It's much harder to correct when the bowl has been filled to tight, you have to refill.

Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
lesliesrussell

IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munt View Post
1. when I have the bowl lit how much of the surface should be burning at one time. For me please think of looking down the bowl as the top of a cigar. Should the whole thing be lit or what percentage should be lit.
Depends on how you pack the pipe & the shape of the bowl. Even using the Frank method, sometimes the cherry sits right in the middle and burns straight down leaving a shell of tobacco. Not ideal.

Quote:
2. How much smoke should be coming from the bowl when I'm not puffing. Should there be a steady stream or just a bit or none at all.
Again it depends on how it is packed and the moisture content of the tobacco. If it smokes heavily at rest then investigate a different packing method or try a slightly less dry tobacco.

Quote:
3. Lastly, when puffing should the draw be like air or should there be some resistance? I've read the "Sucking through a straw" but that's not a lot of resistance.
Munt!
Again it depends on how you pack the pipe. The draw should like a good cigar, with some slight resistance but not so loose that it burns hot.

Try the Frank Method, a.k.a. the German, or the Anti-Gravity Method. Many good youtube videos on the subject.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
uncballzer

Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about all those things. Smoke it how you like it, and you'll get the hang of things as it goes. I do try getting more burn around the edges so i'll burn evenly, but it always tends to burn straight down the middle for me. Smoke, like Nick said--as long as it's burning/smoldering. Resistance--I almost can't smoke a cigar without my jaw hurting now because I love the light draw (I can still smoke a padron, but not much more tight draw than those).