Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough
Default B & M vs. Internet?

Hello my fellow cigar smokers. I'm new here at the asyulm, so bear with me if I don't get this right.

My question is this, I was wonding how may of you buy your sticks at your local B&M's or by the way of the intenet?

I ask this because i'm also new to smoking cigars and I have made a few friends at my B&M, but yesterday I was there talking to the owner of the store BSing about what we like and I mentioned that I had place an order for a box of Tatuaje Unicos online. Well, I could tell he was a little displaced about this. The taxes in Washington aren't the highest around, but still if I make a two hunderd doller purches I would like to save as much $ as possible.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.

Last edited by Lear31MX; 05-21-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Lear31MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: B & M vs. Internet?

Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m. It's best to not mention internet vendors when in a b&m, imo.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

the reason he was put off with you buying online is that's money he isn't making. buy where you can afford to.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor
Even though he isn't stupid!!!

I doubt I would say to anyone in a B&M that I was going to order something from an online vendor. Nothing good could come of it in most cases.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Didn't you guys lean anything from legend? Sheez, everyone knows that internet cigars are inferior!

I kidd, I kidd...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

lmao, here we go again...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I rarely buy at a B&M, usually just when I am traveling and decide to have a single cigar. B&M's are just too expensive. I am pretty much an internet shopper from about 3 places where I buy 5 and 10 paks on specials.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

The modern B&M has almost turned into one man/woman's lifetime dream of having the shop. I really don't see how the profit is there. I make purchases to my local out of respect, but would never buy bulk there. No offense, but money is money. There are also a large percentage of smokers who truly aren't familiar with online vendors, and could probably care less. There is a market for B&M owners, but it doesn't include me.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I'm kind of the same thought, i'll buy sigles at the B&M and boxes from the internet. BUt I do enjoy walking in to that big humi and picking up new stick to give them a try or just to satifiy my cavings that day. aslo enjoy talking and meeting new people there and learning about new cigars and getting some go suggestions. Your right althought money is money.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Kreth is of the opinion that sticks obtained from an online vendor are of lesser quality, no more than a 40 on the Kreth rating scale.

Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

While I buy a lot of cigars online, I tend to buy just as many at the B&M (just not a crazy prices). Developing relationships with vendors helps one to get in on limited and HTF releases. I have one vendor that gets a shipment of Opus in and will sell it all to me if I would like...try that from an online source.

More and more cigars are also B&M only. Build relationships with your local B&M and the prices they are willing to sell to you can be competitive with online prices.

Plus, its a great place to meet people!
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m. It's best to not mention internet vendors when in a b&m, imo.

Even singles you can save money online by finding sampler packs and such.

As far as discussing buying online while at a local shop, I wouldn't if the local shop carries the same thing you bought. If they don't carry it though, I don't see the harm. They wouldn't have made the sale either way. Might be able to turn it into a conversation on whether they could get that cigar for you. Still might keep it to myself though just to avoid the possible strain it might put on the conversation.

Most of them can't compete with the buying power of the online shops (Unless they belong to a big chain), and they don't like being reminded of it. For example, I can get a 5-pack of RP Olde World Reserve for less than $25 online. They're $9.70 each at my local shop.

Local shop has a few things going for it though. More personal interaction; you can actually talk to someone as you browse and get opinions. You can see the actual item you will be buying, not a picure that was likely touched up with Photoshop. You don't have to wait for the item to come in the mail. Instant gratification. No Shipping Costs.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
klipsch

There are alot of online retailers that are B&M's as well. They're just B&M's somewhere else. I support everybody I can...but the retailers that are members on the forums will go out of their way to take care of fellow BOTL's.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

My nearest B&M of any note is JRs in Whippany, which is where I order virtually all my cigars online. They don't have a problem with me there, at all.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Singles - B&M
Boxes (When ever it is that I get to buy one) - Internets.

Also Anthony, check out my contest (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...648#post865648) if you 4 months or less experience with smoking cigars. You might win yourself some freebies.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
While I buy a lot of cigars online, I tend to buy just as many at the B&M (just not a crazy prices). Developing relationships with vendors helps one to get in on limited and HTF releases. I have one vendor that gets a shipment of Opus in and will sell it all to me if I would like...try that from an online source.

More and more cigars are also B&M only. Build relationships with your local B&M and the prices they are willing to sell to you can be competitive with online prices.

Plus, its a great place to meet people!

It's good to have a relationship with the local B&M - best way to get Opus boxes and other HTFs.

But... for any standard issue smokes, it is hard to beat online prices. If the online is also a B&M, that's a plus.
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
Dark Jester

Ironically, one local shops here in Reno has Opus X prices at like half of what the internet has them for. $15-$20 per stick for most of the Opus X line. Seen internet prices up to $40 per stick in some cases.

Of course they limit you to 4 per visit..
Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Cigary

As usual there will always be the discussion of B&M vs Internet cigars. I buy from both and I like B&M's for the comfort of being able to find what I want when I want it and to be able to smoke in their establishment. When I want a deal I will use Internet sources and if I know the B&M well enough I will give them first crack at supplying me with what I am looking for. If they can give me a good price and sometimes they do I will buy from the B&M. As far as which cigar tastes better from a B&M vs Internet ...they don't segregate cigars according to where they are going. A lot has to do with storage procedures and how they are kept. I like the idea of how B&M's ( good ones will store them in optimum condition) will store them in a humidified environment instead of a storage room. I understand that Internet sales warehouse their products and while they are not in the best of storage places cigars are pretty resilient and they stay in my humidor for quite some time before being smoked so they are every bit as good as any B&M.

That being said an Internet Provider cannot serve you a drink, light your cigar, bring you a cup of coffee and clip your stogie like a lot of B&M's I used to frequent did. A few in particular had some amazing cigar hostesses that made you forget you were there for cigars.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jester View Post
Ironically, one local shops here in Reno has Opus X prices at like half of what the internet has them for. $15-$20 per stick for most of the Opus X line. Seen internet prices up to $40 per stick in some cases.

Of course they limit you to 4 per visit..
Authorized Opus dealers (B&M only) will sell at MSRP plus tax... you won't find that online (except maybe in rare instances).
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky View Post
Authorized Opus dealers (B&M only) will sell at MSRP plus tax... you won't find that online (except maybe in rare instances).
Didn't know that, that's pretty cool. I looked on the net for them a couple weeks ago and saw the avg price as $30+ each and said screw it. I was surprised to walk into the shop last week and see the whole line fresh out on display at 'half price'. I jumped on picking some of them up to try out.