Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Domer
Just living the dream

First Name: Derek
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Domer is on a distinguished road
Default Oliva Series V Maduro

I have had a couple series V regulars now since I first had one a few weeks ago and I recently had a chance to pick up some maduros. I did not devote a lot of attention to the cigar as I was playing cards and catching up with an old friend so keep that in mind with the review. I cut the torp head and had a pretty perfect draw, good start. Toasted and lit and the first impression was a really creamy, heavy smoke with good cocoa flavor with a bit of coffee. The smoke continued to have a creamy chocolate profile throughout with hints of nut, coffee, and leather. I really enjoyed the cigar for the most part. However, the burn was not always straight requiring a few touch ups. Also I couldn't keep the cigar lit the full length. Once was my fault as I got engrossed in telling a story, but two other times the cigar went out fully for no reason as far as I could tell. I got these last week and they have been stored at 65/65 since then. I think the cigars still need more rest so I am glad I have two left. I would have nubbed it but it was getting a bit cold in the garage and the flavors were starting to get bitter, probably could have purged but i let it die gracefully. I think it has all the qualities of a great cigar and I think time will greatly benefit the remaining cigars. I will definitely try to pick up a few more of these to put in the humidor if the store has any left when I get my paycheck. What I got out of the cigar was great, and I won't be to harsh for as fresh as the cigars are off the truck.

I don't want to give a numerical rating as not all the conditions were perfect, meaning I was preoccupied and the cigar was pretty fresh, but in general terms:Flavor was great, draw was great, burn was bad, and for 8.50 the value is pretty good. Definitely not affordable as a daily cigar for me, but I would be willing to pay the price again for a monthly or bimonthly smoke. Can't wait to see how they do with more rest.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
robertw1249

Default Re: Oliva Series V Maduro

how it going dstaccone nice reveiw been wanting to try both of the Vs are they really a strong cigar?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Domer
Just living the dream

Bolivar

I smoked my first regular V in the morning and thought it was a bit strong but the others I smoked we fine. Definitely fuller bodied but not overpowering. The Maduro V series I don't think was noticeably stronger, but I had it after a large meal of london broil and pasta so I may have had some padding. Overall I would say they are the perfect strength for an evening smoke, enough to know your smoking but they don't turn me green.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
robertw1249

thanks i have to try them im starting to smoke more fuller body cigar now and letting my mild to med smokes set in the humi
Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I have 4 in the humi right now, might have to wait till after the winter to light though, it's getting cold in these parts.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
robertw1249

same here scott but i smoke in the house no wife telling me i cant
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

The Serie V hasn't been doing it for me lately for some reason. All I get is pepper, but no other flavors. I can't even smoke them. When I first started smoking them, I remember a distinct flavor that I liked - it was a strange sweetness; I remember it well. But lately I can't find it...

Maybe I need to try a maduro now.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I have really enjoyed the regulars and I've been wondering how the maduro version stacked up.
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
Domer
Just living the dream

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I have 4 in the humi right now, might have to wait till after the winter to light though, it's getting cold in these parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw1249 View Post
same here scott but i smoke in the house no wife telling me i cant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
The Serie V hasn't been doing it for me lately for some reason. All I get is pepper, but no other flavors. I can't even smoke them. When I first started smoking them, I remember a distinct flavor that I liked - it was a strange sweetness; I remember it well. But lately I can't find it...

Maybe I need to try a maduro now.
This definitely had a creamy sweetness to it. As for the regular V's, I definitely got the spicy flavor, but I get some sweetness. Sort of like the ashton vsgs. I know I have had some sungrowns that were so spicy I couldn't stand it, most frequently the Fuente Chateau Sun growns. Maybe it just happens sometimes with sungrowns.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Domer
Just living the dream

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Yea it is cold here in NEPA as well, thankfully my dad has a garage that somewhat retains heat until it gets dark out. I am seeing my larger cigars starting to get a reprieve until the spring or I go to a b&m or lounge.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with you that the V seems to be too fresh. The one I smoked tasted great, but it turned bitter and sour in the last inch of the smoke. I think I will try them again in a few months.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by groogs View Post
I have to agree with you that the V seems to be too fresh. The one I smoked tasted great, but it turned bitter and sour in the last inch of the smoke. I think I will try them again in a few months.
I have to agree here. I just had my first and it was harsh and the burn was aweful. I love the V's so I'm going to hunt a few more of these down to age a bit and try again.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I have had a couple V Maduros and they were awesome. The one I had last night was not good at all. I am going to let them sit a while.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
Gamecock

In a year or so, these should smoke awesome. Not much going with them now, still too young in my opinion. Tons of potential-should be another Oliva classic.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #15
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: art
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough

Beautiful cigar. Got to pick up a box and a couple of singles while I was in Scottsdale, Arizona last week. Tried a regular serie V torpedo and then the maduro v torpedo and thought that the maduro v had more flavour.

Would recommend picking up some if you can. I know that Hiland's cigars in Scottdale has a couple of boxes left as well as a couple boxes of 2008 holiday samplers and anejos from fuente. might be all gone now but, worth a try.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem keeping a fresh V Maduro lit, also. I ended up having to toss it about 1/2 done, which kinda pissed me off.
But it was a great smoke until it wouldn't stay lit. I have one more -- I'll keep it in my humi until at least next summer to try it.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

I also had trouble keeping a fresh one lit. I'm letting them rest for a while, hope that helps. The last B&M I was in had a few left, I think I'm going to scoop them up if they're still there.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review and good advice!

I have two resting right now!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #19
mrreindeer

Thanks very much fellas; I've got two from a buy with kaisersozei and have been itching to try 'em but I'll also let 'em rest some more.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have three of them and they're resting in the top drawer of one of my winadors.
They've been there for a month and they ought to be pretty well dried out by now.
In my experience, Oliva's all have needed about 8 months and they end up spectacular.
These aren't gonna make it.
That's why I have them in open air. They're getting fast-tracked.