Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default CAO Bratalia--Cigar Tourney Review #5

Here we go with another review from the tourney, the #5 seed.

CAO Bratalia
Perfecto
Wrapper: Combo Italia and Brazilia

Here is the dark beauty...

Cigar is very dark in appearance with the alternating Italia/Brazilia wrappers. The pre light aroma is a nice sweet tobacco. Wrapper is not the prettiest wrapper. Very rough, and looks "off" in spots. The pre light draw is firm with a nice molassess flavor.

5 minute pic...

It lit easily and has continued that molasses flavor through the first 5 minutes. Nice spicy aroma coming off...so far so good. The burn started a little off, but seems to be straightening out. A little bit of tea flavor is coming through. The ash is medium gray and loose/flaky. Fell off when I picked it up to take the above pic. Nice amount of smoke. The foot has started to split. It's acting like a DPG Cuban Classic.

20 minutes in...

The flavor is definitely that Italia twang. I think the Brazilia's contribution is that sweet molassess flavor. It's very nice. About 15 mminutes in, a little espresso cane through. It's very light though. Smoke has picked up a bit and the ash is still loose and flaky. The wrapper continues to split, but not bad enough to create too many problems.

40 minutes in...

Burn is still pretty erratic. Touched it up twice so far. The flavor is a bit muted now. Still a little molassess, but now a little leather is coming through. Has a nice light spice through the nose. Sweet aroma coming off.

We have a runner!! At one hour in, the burn snaked up the Brazilia wrapper up one side of the stick. Touched up. The flavor has been pretty consistent throughout. The ash is still a flaky mess, but the draw has been good all the way.

Let it die after another 11 minutes...

The crakced wrapper came from fixing the runner.
The flavor started out, but mellowed out as it went on. Caught a few different tastes, but nothing came on very strong. Pretty typical for a CAO. Could definitely identify the Italia and the Brazilia flavor profiles in this stick though. Overall, the burn was pretty bad, touched up 4 times.

Here is the results...
Appearance and Presentation: 15 (20)
Lighting and Burning: 10(15)
Construction: 29(30)
Tasting Properties: 22(35)
Overall score: 76
Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: CAO Bratalia--Cigar Tourney Review #5

I bought a box of these at the release party with Tim and still enjoy them. I haven't had any burn issues yet. Other than that I agree with your review and enjoy this blend much more than either the Italia or Brazilia.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: CAO Bratalia--Cigar Tourney Review #5

Nice review!!!

These look interesting!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote