Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
gravelman

Default Transformation of music

As I've been scouring various websites such as youtube, pandora, and grooveshark, I have been noticing that the music being produced more recently is what I like to refer to as music, and not the garbage that has been clouding the radio stations for the past 15 years. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flippin to an oldies station now and then, but i yearn for new music. And what I am seeing is that the music being produced is once agin taking musical talent and less autotune and tech work. I am glad that this is the case and hopefully music is heading in a solid direction, with less mass produced tunes, and more quality, talent-oriented songs. Just my

Has anyone else noticed this trent?

Some of my recent finds have been:
mumford and sons
The Decemberists
Juzzie Smith (youtube sensation with true talent)

Just thought I would share
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Transformation of music

They have been out there in the last 15 years, but have to look at early stuff of John Mayer, Nora Jones, Ben Harper, Amos Lee ("Arms of a Woman" - gets two thumbs up for me!), Jack Johnson. A lot of good singing talent was in the gospel genre (particularly like Selah and Jaci Velasquez). Mainstream stuff did suck, IMO. The ones listed above were mainly billed as folk singers, though several went mainstream. New groups have a tough time, because there's not (yet) a good source for them to get their music to the masses via radio waves. YouTube might very well be the break-out source of the future, IMO.

I'm mainly an old rock and roller from the 60's, 70's and very early 80's, but find many new(er) groups/artists I can enjoy. For a good mix of sounds, try Cadillac Sky. Kinda a country/folk/southern rock group (my definition). I also like Zack Brown Band. I've about lost touch with Country music, since it seems every act tries to be exactly like some other group. Guys all sound like George strait or Kenny Chesney, Woman all have to be glamor queens for the videos, and sing cookie-cutter songs and sound like Faith Hill. May be unique acts out there, but I doubt you will find them on the radio waves!

I'll give a listen to those you have listed. Maybe I can add to my list of newer acts that are worth the time to listen!!

Last edited by SvilleKid; 02-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

good music has always been out there, if you haven't found it, you must have been looking at the wrong places. There are plenty of bands, like two of my favorits Foo Fighters and Skunk Anansie, that made wonderful music the last 15 years.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
good music has always been out there, if you haven't found it, you must have been looking at the wrong places. There are plenty of bands, like two of my favorits Foo Fighters and Skunk Anansie, that made wonderful music the last 15 years.
I agree that it has been there, such as David Grohl and the Foo Fighters, who is an amazing musician, but as a whole, I think music, and I am more or less referring to tunes I hear in everday culture, such as radio. I guess I might also be referring to society as a whole too...those who are not aware of the differences between talent; i.e. Foo Fighters vs. Nickelback. And I believe that as a whole, maybe those people are starting to enjoy music that is more talent oriented.

I will definitely check out Skunk Anansie, as I do like new things I haven't heard...thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHeJshN82U check this and tell me Skin (the singer of Skunk Anansie) isn't talented. Also check Amy Winehouse, ****ed up in the head, but very talented.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHeJshN82U check this and tell me Skin (the singer of Skunk Anansie) isn't talented. Also check Amy Winehouse, ****ed up in the head, but very talented.
Very talented indeed, the only ptoblem I find is that I, nor none of anyone I talked to today have heard of Skunk...perhaps its the difference in location, or maybe we're too sheltered or unaware of various other styles of music, and I have listened to a good amount of Amy Winehouse before, and quite the voice...I do enjoy musicians who are able to perform live, and actually sound similar to their albums. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Great thing of living in Europe, we get music from all over the world, not just American bands and U2
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
gravelman

That's most likely the problem for us here...we don't!! haha We get these poor abilitied children out of Los Angeles that get into the spotlight through contacts and the entire radio nation jumps on their bandwagon.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

The Reign of Kindo
Band based out of New York that blends together Rock and Jazz (Fusion). Awesome group.

Avett Brothers
Having quite a bit of success. Similar to Mumford & Sons.

Fang Island
Electric guitar driven instrumental music. They refer to it as "similar to giving the whole world a high 5 at once." Happy, happy music.

I'm sure there's others. I'll check my recently played list tonight and update then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Decembrists are one of my favorites too. I credit my kids with keeping me up to date with good new music. Without them I might just stick with what I know. Apart from my kids I find the best place for discovering new music is the local college station. You never know what you'll get when you tune in - garbage or greatness - but it's something new all the time and only a little of it is top 40 crap.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
The Reign of Kindo
Band based out of New York that blends together Rock and Jazz (Fusion). Awesome group.

Avett Brothers

Fang Island
Electric guitar driven instrumental music. They refer to it as "similar to giving the whole world a high 5 at once." Happy, happy music.

I'm sure there's others. I'll check my recently played list tonight and update then.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really enjoyed listening the Avett Brothers today, as well as Reign of Kindo. It is bands like these that I hope have continuing success, although I know that is not what music is all about. It would be nice to hear more songs like this on the radio, and for them to have a strong following, so that others will want to pursue music similar to what they are creating!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The Reign of Kindo - This is What Happens

Avett Brothers - Live, Vol. 3

Fang Island - Fang Island

Posted via Mobile Device
Alright, now that I'm sitting here with my music folders opened, I'll pick out my top 5 (past those above) Bands (and CD) that I think any given person may not have heard of: ((I'll also hyperlink to a youtube recording of one of their songs))

GRUM - Heartbeats
Grum is a band not entirely unlike Daft Punk. They are more mash-up oriented than anything, but this album is downright fun to listen to.

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
Cymbals Eat Guitars is a hard rock band. The first song on this album will likely sell you on the raw power of this band, and especially of the lead singer's voice.

Sabaton - The Art of War
Sabaton is a Polish (I believe?) band that creates music designed to bring up national pride and adrenaline. Their song 40-1 would make a dead man feel ready to take on the world. This is some heavy stuff.

Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Easily one of my most consistently loved CDs. The funk feel in all of Jamiroquai's music would will make everyone tap their toe and move their head. Something about funk makes it really hard to feel sad...which is always a good thing.

Other awesome groups:
The Pop Winds - The Turquoise
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountains
The Rest - Everyone All at Once
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Jack Conte - Video Songs Vol. 1
Chronic Future - This and of That

Sorry, I'm a music kinda guy.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
gravelman

Quote:
Alright, now that I'm sitting here with my music folders opened, I'll pick out my top 5 (past those above) Bands (and CD) that I think any given person may not have heard of: ((I'll also hyperlink to a youtube recording of one of their songs))

GRUM - Heartbeats
Grum is a band not entirely unlike Daft Punk. They are more mash-up oriented than anything, but this album is downright fun to listen to.

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
Cymbals Eat Guitars is a hard rock band. The first song on this album will likely sell you on the raw power of this band, and especially of the lead singer's voice.

Sabaton - The Art of War
Sabaton is a Polish (I believe?) band that creates music designed to bring up national pride and adrenaline. Their song 40-1 would make a dead man feel ready to take on the world. This is some heavy stuff.

Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Easily one of my most consistently loved CDs. The funk feel in all of Jamiroquai's music would will make everyone tap their toe and move their head. Something about funk makes it really hard to feel sad...which is always a good thing.

Other awesome groups:
The Pop Winds - The Turquoise
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountains
The Rest - Everyone All at Once
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Jack Conte - Video Songs Vol. 1
Chronic Future - This and of That

Sorry, I'm a music kinda guy.
Alex, thanks for the update...I can't wait to check these out!
"I'm a music kind of guy" <---- Do you play instruments or simply enjoy in the listening and history of it all?

O...and I've been listening to the Avett Bros. all evening.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
gravelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
Decembrists are one of my favorites too. I credit my kids with keeping me up to date with good new music. Without them I might just stick with what I know. Apart from my kids I find the best place for discovering new music is the local college station. You never know what you'll get when you tune in - garbage or greatness - but it's something new all the time and only a little of it is top 40 crap.
I don't much hear a whole lot that I like in a countdown...especially on a radio where people are casting their votes based on bandwagon judgement. It's cool that you take to music that your children listen to because I find that I enjoy so many bands that my parents used to listen to in the 60's and 70's...I still think the overall quality of music was far superior then...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelman View Post
Alex, thanks for the update...I can't wait to check these out!
"I'm a music kind of guy" <---- Do you play instruments or simply enjoy in the listening and history of it all?

O...and I've been listening to the Avett Bros. all evening.
I sang in the Chamber Singers choir at my school when I still went there. I also took a couple of semesters of voice lessons.

I have an old acoustic guitar sitting in the corner that I've been meaning to pick up, but I'm having trouble finding the desire to make time to learn it haha
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #16
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Listening to Reign Of Kindo right now. Very good. Thanks Alex for the recommendation.

Some of what I've been listening to a lot lately.

Porcupine Tree
Blackfield
Riverside

PT is Steve Wilson's original band, with Blackfield and Riverside being some of his side projects. Definitely worth checking out.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I blame American Idol.

We are being conditioned to accept the least common denominator in every aspect of our lives. Thank God there are artists out there who are truly talented and thank God we have the internet to find them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
PT is Steve Wilson's original band, with Blackfield and Riverside being some of his side projects. Definitely worth checking out.
BTW, Riverside is not a Steve Wilson project. PT is pretty cool though!

Riverside is a polish band, some of the best ProgRock I have ever heard.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

There is (and always has been) a ton of really rad stuff out there. Turn the radio off people. Go to your local record store and listen to some stuff. Ask the employees what they like. Quit listening to this horseshit douchebag rock like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed etc. It is all garbage. I will stop now, cause I will get mad.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

check out Adult Swim bumps on youtube. I have some that I have created below, but the originals are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2Gfp4VMfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXW74...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDsR_...eature=related

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelman View Post
As I've been scouring various websites such as youtube, pandora, and grooveshark, I have been noticing that the music being produced more recently is what I like to refer to as music, and not the garbage that has been clouding the radio stations for the past 15 years. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy flippin to an oldies station now and then, but i yearn for new music. And what I am seeing is that the music being produced is once agin taking musical talent and less autotune and tech work. I am glad that this is the case and hopefully music is heading in a solid direction, with less mass produced tunes, and more quality, talent-oriented songs. Just my

Has anyone else noticed this trent?

Some of my recent finds have been:
mumford and sons
The Decemberists
Juzzie Smith (youtube sensation with true talent)

Just thought I would share
If you want to see a transformation in music, you should expand the window that you're looking at. Start in the Baroque Era, and work your way forward