Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Blind tobacco #1 reviews & reveal

Well, I have been waiting for the reviews to come from a couple guys (The Camaro Show & Conch Republican), but enough waiting.

Here is DAFU's review, my review with the blend revealed.

Dafu’s review of #1
This is my review of the kind Revs blind sample #1. Smoked at my desk in a pre '66 restored Kaywoodie 51 billiard.

1- nice dark broken flake. looks good.
Score - 4.5
2- perfect moisture content and easily rubbed out.
Score - 4
3- lights easily that gets a bit hot if smoked too fast. Doesn't bite too bad however.
Score - 4
4 - VAs stand out in the beginning with sweet fruity flavor. Gonna guess some Perique and possibly Burley in here too with a bit of spicy smokiness coming thru by mid bowl. Not overpowering at all and fairly smooth. Finishes with the VA in the background, which is why I'm guessing a VaPer or VaBur. I like it!
5 - Pleasant aftertaste evolving from sweet and fruity in the beginning to more smoky and subdued in the end .
Score- 4
6 - Room and nose note is equally pleasing like a rich sweet tobacco aroma should be.
Score- 4.5

Overall score would be a 25 out of 30 which makes this a well above average 'baccy for me. I mostly smoke VaPers and English/Balkans and I did like this blend
quite a bit and would recommend to anyone wanting to stray a bit from straight VAs.
If I must guess I'd say St.James Flake or maybe the other Gawith Brown flake.

I want to thank Todd for starting this. Been awhile since we've done much on the pipe forum and it's so much fun.

Tobacco Review #1
Gawith, Hoggarth Cherry Cream Flake

1) Aesthetics: Do not know why I ordered this, I am not normally an aromatic fan, but it sort of screamed at me to try it out. I opened the 250g package to find a fairly solid brick of tobacco. This was obviously a brick, for the grain is visible as a continuity through all the flakes.

2) Pre-light Construction: The brick is a bit moist, but not overly so. The flakes come off very easily, yet remain intact. It seems ready to smoke, although I personally like things a bit drier. I love the tactile sensation of rubbing out flakes, it is a wonderful ritual that makes pipe smoking so enjoyable. When the packaging opened, there was a hint of cream and the faint hint of cherries, but these topnotes were applied with a gentle hand, and they did not hide the obvious richness of the base of Virginias.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Initial smokes proved that it was a bit moist, and it took a couple matches to get a nice even burn going – but it continued nicely after that. Wanting a copious amount of smoke, a puffing vigorously does not produce a tongue bite.

4) Flavor and strength: I love the Virginias in here, they are always evident, the cream and cherry notes however are more evident in the room note than in the mouth. With that said, if either of them is more noticeable, it is the cream, but whether from the topnote or as a flavor inherent to the constituent VAs, I am not sure. While you can puff vigorously, this really sings when it is sipped. Yes, you can taste the slight topnote casing applied, but it is subtle and not cloying in in way.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Rich Virginias play nicely for a moment, then dissipate.

6) Aroma: A couple people mentioned the cherry cream notes, enjoying them. So in that regard, this is definitely a winner. I liked it too.

7) General Comments I am glad I got 250g of the stuff, considering how often I smoke aromatics, it should last awhile. I could see possibly ordering more to put away, as I would like to see what happens when a Virginia based aromatic ages. Aromatics made with burleys do little to nothing, this might be different.

8) Recommendation: If you are not an aromatic fan, this is a blend worth having around, for it will keep others happy, and you will not grumble when you need to keep others happy by what is in your pipe.