Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #701
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Sounds and looks awesome! I will have to give that a try!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #702
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #703
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #704
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #705
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Awesome work there Ben, thanks for the detail. I'm still figuring out the smoked onion proportions myself too.

What you say about pork chops kind of mirrors my experiences too. I had always struggled with getting them right until I bought an SV cooker.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #706
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Corned beef yesterday, 180* for 10 hours, came out perfect. I didn't have time to let it rest too much before slicing it up for sliders, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #707
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Made Sriracha Buttered Shrimp tonight with some (really large) fresh black tiger shrimp from Costco (8-10 per pound):

Shrimp and sauce before sous vide:

After sous vide:

Ready to serve:

Really good! We did not have any rice or pasta with this and it was almost too spicy for my wife — she really wanted a little rice.

Also, the sauce might overpower smaller shrimp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED023E40-8C7F-4262-93F2-28C62CD7B5ED.jpg (11.6 KB, 886 views)
File Type: jpg A2D1BCB2-5D32-4730-88D4-7FD462E0747A.jpg (13.4 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpg 5B29D75C-FA0B-4BE5-BB17-DF8077E46EC1.jpg (13.1 KB, 882 views)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #708
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Corned beef yesterday, 180* for 10 hours, came out perfect. I didn't have time to let it rest too much before slicing it up for sliders, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing
Tried this again over the weekend but let it rest for about 20 minutes before slicing, it was perfect, only ever cooking corned beef this way now. No spices or anything added, just the brisket cooked in the brine
Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #709
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Tried this again over the weekend but let it rest for about 20 minutes before slicing, it was perfect, only ever cooking corned beef this way now. No spices or anything added, just the brisket cooked in the brine
NIce Ben....Using the supermarket corned beef flats?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #710
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I get it from my butcher, they come vac packed in brine but no other spice packets or anything, 4-5lb cuts. They're labelled as "Corned Beef Brisket Ready to Cook"
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #711
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I get it from my butcher, they come vac packed in brine but no other spice packets or anything, 4-5lb cuts. They're labelled as "Corned Beef Brisket Ready to Cook"
NIce..sous vide in that package or re-bagging?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #712
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I re-bagged it, I didn't really trust the seal on the package they used in such high temperatures. I've cooked steaks in the retail packaging from costco and other big places before, but they look a lot more sturdy than this place. In hind sight I should have taken their whole package and put it in a vac bag rather than take the brisket out, I had way too much trouble getting the bag to seal with the wet brine in it, but I got there eventually
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #713
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
I did the same yesterday. When it was done I dried it well then mixed a half cup of brown sugar, quarter cup of molasses, teaspoon of dried mustard and half a cup of bourbon. Mixed it up and glazed the hot beef and popped it into a hot oven to crust it up.

Simply the best corned beef of my life.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #714
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
I did the same yesterday. When it was done I dried it well then mixed a half cup of brown sugar, quarter cup of molasses, teaspoon of dried mustard and half a cup of bourbon. Mixed it up and glazed the hot beef and popped it into a hot oven to crust it up.

Simply the best corned beef of my life.
you had me at bourbon!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #715
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

No pictures, but I want to make sure any newcomers understand, PORK LOIN is my favorite use of sous vide hands down.

Did a simple bbq rub tonight, 3 hours at 135, and seared off. The best pork loin you'll ever have.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #716
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

We did boneless chicken thighs last night. Poured half a bottle of BBQ sauce in the bag, set sous vide at 160 for 4 hours. Seared them off in a cast iron pan afterwards until a bit charred. Really good!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #717
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Picked up a smaller one. about 3 lbs....I'll run it at 180* but I guess for a bit less than 10 hrs
Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #718
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Did a tri-tip in the sous vide today, but its different than I have done before. Before moving, I would use a Cusinart to make my marinade (onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper, oil, soy sauce, etc.).

We no longer have a food processor, so I made up a new (completely different) marinade:

1 bottle of Cindy's Kitchen Tangerine Vinaigrette
1 chopped red onion
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper

Also, we used to get our tri-tip at Costco (in Oregon), but the Costco's out here in Florida do not carry it. We found a 3 lb. tri-tip at Whole Foods on Sunday and used that.

Marinated in the vacuum bag for about 24 hours and cooked for 6.5 hours at 130 degrees:

It came out perfect! Tasted great -- the hint of citrus was really nice along with the garlic and onion. Just the right amount of salt too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sous Vide Tri Tip.jpg (108.0 KB, 704 views)

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #719
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Looking good Michael! Love some SV tri tip, was a favorite for a while getting it pre-marinated from costco

Putting a few pounds of beef short ribs in the SV for a 48 hour cook tonight, looking forward to dinner friday
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #720
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Made the beef short ribs last week, following this recipe almost exactly. They were good, especially with the red wine glaze, but overall I thought I'd be a little more impressed with the tenderness, they were easy to chew but still needed a steak knife, maybe I had unrealistic expectations hoping to only need a fork. I did a little looking around after and maybe 48 hours wasn't enough, I see some recipes calling for 72. I'll give them another shot some time in the future using 72 hours, but for now I'll stick with the instant pot when cooking up short ribs (or a smoker if I had access to one)