Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Ashton VSG Robusto

Ashton VSG Robusto

Ashton VSG Robusto (5.5x50)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Price: $9.50-$10.50

Click the link to see review with photos @ http://aaronfoodandwino.blogspot.com

A dark robust looking cigar at first take. The aged wrapper is akin to other cigar wrappers like the ones used to wrap Tatuaje Reservas. Blended by Carlos Fuente Jr., this cigar has excellent pedigree. I have smoked the VSG torpedo years ago and it was one of the first cigars to make me say “Wow!” I just happened upon this one in the local Spec’s Liquor store and decided to pick it up.

At the start, the cigar was a little hard to light. Once lit the cigar had some spiciness to it with a good dry draw. The cigar transitioned immediately away from the spice and new puffs brought creamy coffee notes, and good earthy flavors. Produced a nice tight, white ash. About an inch to an inch ˝ in the cigar was singing with great cocoa and coffee bean notes and then the problems began. This stick started to canoe on me and had multiple burn problems. It seemed as if the cigar only wanted to burn on one side and then kept going out. This stick was pulled from the humidor at around 72-73% humidity which may have been the problem. This particular cigar needs to be at around 65% humidity I believe to burn right.

After half way through, I touched up the cigar and got it to burn evenly finally. The coffee and cocoa flavors still coming through. The nicotine is starting to hit me now and the body of the cigar went from medium to >medium. The last third of the cigar had an elevation in spiciness return followed by a leather component. Able to smoke to nub without it getting too hot. Overall a good robust cigar with big flavor. Construction is good, but the humidity has to be right for this one to be enjoyable. I like the VSG torpedo much better though. This one can be paired with aged rums and scotches and still be able to hold up.

Score: 90
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote