Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Its time....(Another Coolidor Build)

Hey guys,

Well its gonna happen. I always wanted to purchase a nice desktop humidor but never got around to it. Now I have moved and believe or not I have no where to put a desktop / table top humidor in my house (not going to be putting a $300+ humi hidden in a basement).

So I have done my research and found my notes from last time around. I need CA's help getting the last details.

I don't want to go for a massive humi, I only smoke a few times a month during the warmer months of the year (No smoking in the house). I'm thinking a 70 to 100 Qt will be perfect, maybe even a 48/50qt. The space were it will be going (on top of my mini beer fridge) will require the cooler to be standing up like a cabinet. I also want to do cedar shelves and trays. What that in mind, who makes the best cooler for this application?

Will I need to add latches?

Also is GolfNut still making shelves?

I'm pretty good on the steps I will need to take to setup the cooler, I will most likely use the heartfelt beads since this is what I have been using in my temp setup

I'm planning on using a variable speed equipment fan to move air, I will use the drain plug as the wire port and seal it with silicone caulk.

Anything else I should take into account?

Pics to come as the build progresses.

Thanks,
Mike
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Its time....(Another Coolidor Build)

Have you thought about getting a small wine fridge and making that into a humi? Looks a lot better, you can get Spanish cedar shelves for it, and utilize the fan as well.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

I have considered this, but I have not found a decent used one in my area. I'm also a little concerned about having any leaks. Also I would not be plugging the unit in, my basement seems to stay a nice 60 degrees even on the hottest days with the house getting up to 82.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

If you want to stand it up and do shelves I would go with this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...Green/21947771

Here is a place to order shelves: http://www.wineadors.com/coolidors.html - just know that it could take months to get them.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

If you want to go a little cheaper and depending on your size needs I use these baskets in my Coleman 48qt. 4 fit in perfectly with some space in the middle for boxes stacking would probably also work.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-558...tack+and+slide
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Sweet Leaf : That will be my back up, I'm trying to see if the smaller chests have the same style of slots as the 150 qt. I havent been able to find pictures or any in stores yet. Thanks for the link for the shelves, I will probability order a few. In the mean time baust55's post is a great idea using the pre-made trays and making them into shelves.

WhiteMamba: I'll keep this in-mind I think this as an alternative. Although I think the 48 qt is going to be too small.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdx88 View Post

I'm planning on using a variable speed equipment fan to move air
Why? Cigars age better when air flow is kept at a minimum. I never understood why people do this with such small containers.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Why? Cigars age better when air flow is kept at a minimum. I never understood why people do this with such small containers.
Obviously, it's your cooler and you can spend as much as you want. But my idea of a cooler build is a cooler, and some beads. I no longer even bother with a hygrometer as I judge by the way my cigars are smoking. I prefer to save my money for more cigars.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I've got a 70qt Coleman and it is great. More than enough space for 9 boxes of mixed sticks plus 1lbs of beads. I have to recharge the beads about once every other month and it holds at a solid 65%. I used to use a 300ct desktop humi with a Cigar Oasis and found that needed more upkeep than my cooler.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

RadioMan, I thought one wanted to move air in large humis because of getting large pockets of humidity and as the cigars age there is a build up of ammonia?

This is news to me.

Dude is your cooler standing or sitting?