Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
thecatch83

Default Interesting Health Data On Cigar Smokers

http://www.bigredcigar.com/2010/01/h...moking-cigars/

There is absolutely no doubt that smoking cigars is not good for your health. Let’s get that much clear right from the start.

However, in all likelihood it’s not as bad as you might think. The extent of the negative effect on your health from cigar smoking depends primarily on two things:

1. The amount of smoke that is inhaled
2. The number of cigars that are smoked

For those who do inhale and smoke several cigars daily, the health risks approach that of regular cigarette-smokers. The extent of risk, on average, is dependent on an individuals’ smoking habits (as can be seen in the below data tables).
Do not inhale cigar smoke

So, the first tip for remaining healthy is an obvious one: do not inhale.

Unlike cigarette smoke, cigar smoke is not even intended to be inhaled. (For a thorough discussion of the inhalation of cigar smoke, see my article, Do you inhale cigar smoke?).
Smoke cigars in moderation

The second is also rather obvious, but less important: smoke cigars in moderation.

This is a “given” for most cigar-smokers, who smoke them as a hobby rather than because of addiction or habit. Although I don’t deny that they exist, I’ve never met anyone who habitually smokes (real*) cigars in the same manner as cigarettes. The majority of cigar smokers, even those who have been doing it for forty or fifty years, do not smoke more than two or three cigars per day. In fact, my guess is that the majority smoke significantly less than one cigar per day.

(* i.e. large, premium cigars. Small “cigarillos”, which are designed to compete with cigarettes are not “real” cigars, and the majority of people who smoke them do so habitually as well as inhaling the smoke.)
Cigar smoking health statistics

Below I have provided two tables of information resulting from a 1998 NCI study of cigar smoking vs cigarette smoking.
Mortality ratios for select causes of death in male cigar-only vs cigarette-only smokers by amount
smoked daily. Cancer Prevention Study I, 12 year follow-up.

Amount Smoked Daily

Cigars per day

Cigarettes per day
Cause of death Non-smoker 1-2 cigars 3-4 cigars 5+ cigars < 1 packet 1 packet > 1 packet
All causes of death 1.0 1.02 1.08 1.117 1.46 1.69 1.88
Cancer of buccal cavity & pharynx combined* 1.0 2.12 8.51 15.94 5.93 6.85 12.04
Cancer of esophagus 1.0 2.28 3.93 5.19 2.14 4.3 5.6
Cancer of larynx 1.0 6.46 no data 26.03 8.7 25.69 23.59
Cancer of lung 1.0 0.99 2.36 3.4 6.75 12.86 20.23
Cancer of pancreas 1.0 1.18 1.51 2.21 1.69 2.17 2.41
COPD 1.0 1.39 1.78 1.03 8.86 12.51 15.04
Coronary heart disease 1.0 0.98 1.06 1.14 1.4 1.58 1.65
* excludes salivary gland
Information is sourced from the article, Cigar Smoking: Overview and Current State of the Science, by David M. Burns.
Mortality ratios for select causes of death in male cigar-only vs cigarette-only smokers by depth of inhalation.
Cancer Prevention Study I, 12 year follow-up.

Self-Reported Depth of Inhalation

Cigars

Cigarettes
Cause of death Non-smoker none slight moderate-deep none-slight moderate deep
All causes of death 1.0 1.04 1.19 1.6 1.54 1.65 1.9
Cancer of buccal cavity & pharynx combined* 1.0 6.98 7.83 27.88 6.26 8.43 12.48
Cancer of esophagus 1.0 3.4 1.9 14.84 2.94 4.06 4.95
Cancer of larynx 1.0 10.6 no data 53.26 22.19 13.49 27.54
Cancer of lung 1.0 1.97 1.89 4.93 9.33 13.13 17.11
Cancer of pancreas 1.0 1.55 2.16 2.26 1.99 2.01 2.38
COPD 1.0 1.09 2.05 4.52 8.8 12.28 16.07
Coronary heart disease 1.0 1.01 1.23 1.37 1.45 1.52 1.71
* excludes salivary gland
Information is sourced from the article, Cigar Smoking: Overview and Current State of the Science, by David M. Burns.
Interpreting the statistics

The statistics show the increased risk a smoker has of death caused by a select group of common smoking-related diseases when compared to a non-smoker.

As you can see in the highlighted cell on the first table, a cigar-smoker who smokes 1-2 cigars per day is only 2% more likely to die of smoking related diseases than a person who has never smoked in their life. Likewise, a cigar-smoker who does not inhale is only 4% more likely to die of smoking related diseases than a non-smoker.
What it means…

The statistics should not be interpreted as (for example), “someone who smokes 3-4 cigars per day has a 51% chance of dying from cancer of the pancreas”. Rather that, going on statistical averages, “someone who smokes 3-4 cigars per day is 51% more likely to die of cancer of the pancreas than a non-smoker“.
Considerations

These statistics might be a little misleading if not properly considered.

For example, the first table relates only to “cigars smoked per day”, and has no relation to the second table, which relates to “self-reported depth of inhalation”.

What does this mean? It means that for the first table, the highlighted cell showing that a 2-per-day cigar smoker is 2% more likely to die of smoking related diseases is not accounting for depth of inhalation at all, only the fact that they smoke 1-2 cigars per day. Likewise, the second table that shows that a non-inhaling cigar smoker is 4% more likely to die of smoking related diseases does not account for the amount they smoke, only the fact that they don’t inhale.

In other words, the 2-cigar-per-day group may contain some people who “deeply inhale”, and the “do not inhale” group may contain some people who smoke 5+ cigars per day.

But what if you fit into the lowest-risk category for both tables, not just one or the other?
For the majority of cigar-smokers

I believe that the majority of cigar smokes do not inhale any smoke and they smoke less than 2 cigars per day. Even though it would be the most useful number, there is not a statistic recorded for those who fit into both groups. However, it’s an effortlessly logical assumption that if you fit into both groups then the statistic for “all causes of death” must be below the 4% mark for the group who do not inhale, and below the 2% mark for the group who smoke less than 2 cigars per day.
For more frequent smokers

Even for fairly heavy cigar smokers, the health risks don’t appear to be as high as one might have otherwise thought, if they don’t inhale the smoke. We can see from the above statistics that someone who smokes 5+ cigars per day (and does not inhale) is 11%-12% more likely than a non-smoker to die of smoking related causes. Considering that smoking 5+ decent-sized cigars per day would mean that one would be without a smoke for only half – or less – of his waking hours, that is probably a very surprising statistic.

Note however, that only applies for smokers who, rightfully, do not inhale. As the statistics demonstrate, someone who deeply inhales the cigar smoke is probably increasing their chances of early death by 60% or more. The data just keeps pointing to the same conclusion: do not inhale cigar smoke.
Conclusion

In my opinion, the incontestable conclusion – backed-up by scientific research by the NCI – is that those who enjoy cigars in moderation and do not inhale, are not exposing themselves to any statistically significant risk.

I also would dare a guess that the majority of cigar smokers fit into that category.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Interesting Health Data On Cigar Smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
those who enjoy cigars in moderation and do not inhale, are not exposing themselves to any statistically significant risk.
Condensed to Cliff Notes.

I knew that.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

icehog, you are my hero for that.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
icehog, you are my hero for that.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

how about the correlation to how much booz is consumed during smoking?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

I knew that.
Who is this Cliff and where can I find his notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodFella View Post
Call me crazy, but that might alter the test results.......
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
Who is this Cliff and where can I find his notes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CliffsNotes

Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

Someone help my dumbass on this:
Quote:
a cigar-smoker who smokes 1-2 cigars per day is only 2% more likely to die of smoking related diseases than a person who has never smoked in their life. Likewise, a cigar-smoker who does not inhale is only 4% more likely to die of smoking related diseases than a non-smoker.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Very interesting, thanks for the research,
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

I knew that.
Thanks Tom... Me head was about to explode!

Thanks for the post Ty!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodFella View Post
Actually, there is an increased risk presented when smoking and drinking simultaneously. This is because alcohol removes some of the tongue's natural protection and temporarily inhibits the cellular repair process.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

That, & the more you drink while smoking,
the greater chance of putting the
"hot" end in your mouth by mistake.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I don't know what this thread is about but I really could go for a smoke and a drink right now.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
Someone help my dumbass on this:
The 1-2 cigars per day @ 2% increase risk vs the no inhale at 4% increased risk...

Basically they two are mutually exclusive. The number per day includes those who inhale plus those who do not. The Inhale group includes those who smoke any amount per day.

This means that you cannot compare the two as the data from one is not scrubbed from the other...

With that said, the discrepancy would let me to believe that those who do not inhale typicall smoked more than 1-2 per day which could account for the increased risk..
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #15
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
That, & the more you drink while smoking,
the greater chance of putting the
"hot" end in your mouth by mistake.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
AL_B_70
Ex Pat Brit in Canada

First Name: AL
Trading: (0)
RyJ
AL_B_70 is on a distinguished road

As somebody who has survived cancer, lost their wife to a rare heart complaint at 36 and seen countless friends run off their bikes by asshole drivers texting on cell phones, my opinion is that life is too short for worrying about the day you're going to die. I've watched co-workers end up in the zipper club at 40 from worrying about what can go wrong.

Everything in moderation. Cigars smoking is a Gentleman's rite and one-five cigars per day works for me just fine. And yes, I do inhale, but that's my choice.
AL_B_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_B_70 View Post
As somebody who has survived cancer, lost their wife to a rare heart complaint at 36 and seen countless friends run off their bikes by asshole drivers texting on cell phones, my opinion is that life is too short for worrying about the day you're going to die. I've watched co-workers end up in the zipper club at 40 from worrying about what can go wrong.

Everything in moderation. Cigars smoking is a Gentleman's rite and one-five cigars per day works for me just fine. And yes, I do inhale, but that's my choice.
My condolences and I'm sorry for your loss brother. But, also, let me say, I do love your attitude towards it all.

Please drop in over here to say hi and introduce yourself.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
scottdurand is on a distinguished road

If I didn't have my relaxation time with the guys smoking my cigars I would have high blood pressure and break my foot off in someone ass constantly so with that sad my cigars are good for my health and well being.
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #19
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdurand View Post
If I didn't have my relaxation time with the guys smoking my cigars I would have high blood pressure and break my foot off in someone ass constantly so with that sad my cigars are good for my health and well being.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote