Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Kristoff Maduro

Size: 7×48, Churchill

Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro

Binder: Olor Dominican and Cuban Seed

Filler: Olor Dominican, Cuban Seed, Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: Box of 20, $125.99

Grade: 8.8

The Kristoff Maduro is made by Exclusive Cigars, which was established in 2005. EC is a manufacturer of boutique cigars, including the Vengence, Brittania, Cuban Selection, and Premium Selection. The Kristoff is without a doubt the most popular brand from Glen Case’s Exclusive Cigars.

The Kristoff Maduro is available in four sizes: Torpedo (6 1/8×52), Churchill (7×48), Robusto (5.5×54), and the Matador (6.5×56). The Kristoff line also encompasses a few other blends including a Kristoff Criollo, Kristoff Ligero Maduro and Criollo, and a Kristoff Sumatra that looks very tempting. The cigars are packed in a rough cut cedar box with loose tobacco, giving these cigars a very rustic feel. Kristoff cigars are fairly easy to find online, though I haven’t come across them yet in my B&M. More information can be found online.

This is our first review of a Kristoff cigar, though we’ve been looking forward to it for some time. So, on to the toast!

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Kristoff Churchill is a hearty looking smoke with a shaggy foot and a well-constructed pigtail cap. The Brazilian Maduro wrapper is dark and oily with a few prominent veins. The cigar is well packed with no soft spots and has an excellent weight in the palm of the hand. The simple banding really fits the character of this smoke, and it also textured which is a nice touch. The pre-light aroma is of rich tobacco along the wrapper with some nutty vegetal notes at the shaggy foot. The cold draw is a little tight but produces some warm tobacco notes.

Burn, 1.7:
The Kristoff’s shaggy foot toasts and lights well. The draw is a bit tight to start but opens up about half an inch in and is dead on the rest of the time. The ash appears to be flaky but holds well past one inch before I bump it off in the tray. The Churchill produces plenty of smoke throughout the life of the cigar and at a good temperature, with no touch ups or re-lights required.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the Kristoff produces woody and vegetal tobacco notes and the finish leaves a warm spice on the lips with some sweetness. The first third is of tobacco, some barely present sweet spice, and some salty notes here and there. The second third transitions into a solid tobacco that has earthy and woody characteristics, which are coupled with a sweet spice on the finish. The cigar is somewhat creamy at this point as well. The last third continues with a solid tobacco profile that is paired with some sweet spice throughout. The creaminess persists and is a nice addition to this profile.

Overall, 2.7:
The Kristoff Maduro is a fun and enjoyable smoke in my opinion. The draw was good, the burn even, and the flavor profile solid. Coming in at a little over six bucks a stick, this one is priced right. The solid tobacco, coupled with some sweet spice and creaminess, will make for an enjoyable smoke.

(Total: 8.8)
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kristoff Maduro

Thanks for the review Matthew.

I tried these a while back and it was just ok for me. I thought it was pretty muted and a bit muddy... but not too bad anyway.
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Nice review. I haven't tried the Sumatra yet, but the others are all great smokes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, i have smoked the Matador and really enjoyed it!!
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Matthew...these are yummy!!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Pass
Puff, Puff...

First Name: Max
Trading: (8)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Pass is on a distinguished road

Nice review! I just had my first Kristoff Maduro last night and was struck by the salt I tasted both in the smoke and on my lips. It was definitely an entertaining cigar and original - at least to me. Figured I would search out reviews and see if anyone else had the same experience I did.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Very nice review, I'll have get my hands on some to try!
STEVE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE S View Post
Very nice review, I'll have get my hands on some to try!
Famous and Tex Cigars both carry them. The best price would probably be on Cigar Auctioneer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I really like these, and they have a unique flavor profile.

Thanks for the review.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at these sticks, but others have complained about draw problems with Kristoffs in general. Given the enthusiasm here, maybe that's not the case with the maduro?
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'am View Post
I've been looking at these sticks, but others have complained about draw problems with Kristoffs in general. Given the enthusiasm here, maybe that's not the case with the maduro?
I've never had a draw problem with a Kristoff, and I don't even cut them. I just bite off the pigtail and light up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'm smoking one now and I find the draw irritating. Not getting near enough smoke and it's getting better. But so far the first inch is very annoying. It does taste fantastic though..... Hmmmm not to Jack the review but I'll post my findings when I'm done
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote