Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation
Default Power of attorney while in bootcamp

I leave Monday for boot camp and it was just brought to my attention that I should leave my wife with power of attorney while I’m gone. Before I go and spend some cash on a contract off the internet I was wondering if any of you would have one or point me in the right direction to get one. I am not able to use the law office on the base yet. I am just looking for a simple contract to leave her with general power of attorney while I’m gone. Nothing special.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Power of attorney while in bootcamp

Why are you leaving your wife with power of attorney? Will it be for everything or something specific? For what potential purpose?

Legally, I believe any notarized document that has been drawn up to include what the power of attorney can be used for would be considered valid. At least, the power of attorney documents that I have used for my wife for closing on our properties has been fairly simple and simply signed by each of us in front of a notary and accompanied by copies of our driver's licenses.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
FragmagnetEOD

Not right away, my wife has had a General POA since day one. I trust her VERY much though. I wouldn't go a day without her having one as she has used it on numerous occasions. You "should" (I use that term loosely) have some time to get it done through JAG while a BC. You can mail it to her once you get it and it's free. Just make sure that you/her make multiple copies because people need to have it on file before she can act on your behalf. PM me if you have any questions, I can ask her(she's way smarter than me).

Wes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Depending on what you need it for I am not sure it is required for simpler things where your wife can just tell them you are in bootcamp, and have you deal with it later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I was in basic training and can't think of a single instance where a POA was necessary. Granted, I wasn't married at the time, but IMO, there's nothing that can really come up that can be THAT damn important for you not to be able to deal with it later.

Well, unless you want to give her the LEGAL right to enter you into any and all legal/financial responsibiliteis without your consent anyway.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
GoodFella
out to sea

ERdM AirForce (Active)

Its not just boot camp its also tech scool. We have a few things going on that would require it. Also the things we habe not thought off. Chip from ehat im seeing u are right. Is this what others have done. I should not need to say this but i trust my wife and see no reason for her not to have poa while im gone.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck...and thanks for your service brother.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

If you dont mind me asking what branch of service are you entering?

If USMC shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you out.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

If:
1. You're in the military and subject to short-notice deployments (or boot camp); AND,
2. you're (still?) at a point in your marriage that you trust your spouse implicitly.....then I say go ahead and provide her/him with a general power of attorney. Make if of a very limited duration - one year at most - six months is better; you can always renew if both conditions above are still met. Even more important if you own house, vehcicles, business, etc. If the risk is low, the peace of mind and ease of some transactions is worth it. If you have even an inkling that it could be a problem for you down the road, then get a specific PoA for things that you might be able to anticipate -- perhaps something involving kids that are yours, but not hers?.....buying, repairing, selling, a car that is in your name....accessing emergency funds in a bank account that she isn't a joint owner......etc.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
ysr_racer

I used www.Legalzoom.com , then had an Attorney I know check it out. He said it was fine.

EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY should have a Power of Attorney, Living Will, & Last Will and Testament.

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret, everybody is going to die at some time.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I used www.Legalzoom.com , then had an Attorney I know check it out. He said it was fine.

EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY should have a Power of Attorney, Living Will, & Last Will and Testament.

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret, everybody is going to die at some time.
I would suggest never a living will, but, a durable power of attorney in health care matters. That way, someone you know - love - trust is making health care decisions.

If I am not mistaken, military personnel are suggested to have such stuff in place, especially if they are married, as the job (even in boot camp) is such that dangers exist which could maim or end life. It is wise precautionary measures.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

The AFN commercials here tell me there are two types of POA, a general and special. I think you would want to go with special.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

If I am not mistaken, military personnel are suggested to have such stuff in place, especially if they are married, as the job (even in boot camp) is such that dangers exist which could maim or end life. It is wise precautionary measures.
Given the level of safety exercised in the military, you're just as likely to die doing whatever it is at home, perhaps even more so if you figure driving and everything else that incurs risk. Sure, you're doing some non-everyday things in basic training, but they do all they can to prevent ending the gene pool of any family tree. Accidents do happen, but from what I went through, you've got a really sorry ass drill sgt if you end up in a body bag (or unless there was something like an unknown medical condition that caused something to happen).
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
GoodFella
out to sea

ERdM AirForce (Active)

I know i want one but what i need to know is how to do it. Im looking for a contract that i can fill in the blanks like my name abd date and be done with it. I figured some one would have a pdf. Of a poa on there pc somewhere. Friday is my last day to get this done. Thanks for the input sofar guys. And its the air force im going into.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
ysr_racer

Here you go www.Legalzoom.com
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Swany
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Robert
Trading: (0)
Partagas Army (Active)
Swany is on a distinguished road

If you dont plan on having her sell anything you own, or buying anything using your name and credit rating, than you should be fine without one. I have been in for only 3 years now, but if you want, I can PM you some sad stories that have happended to some of my buddies. You will learn in the military CYOA. cover your own ass. Im not trying to be a negative nancy, just hate to see bad things happen to good people.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Check out legalzoom.com like already mentioned above.

IMO, it doesn't matter how long one has been in the military or if we believe he shouldn't get one. What we should do is support this fellow BOTL in his mission to making sure his loved ones are taken care of while he is away. Everyone has different situations that may arise so telling him that he can deal with it later should not be the correct response. Again this is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

And yes we all will die but no one knows when so why not be prepared?

EDIT: good luck on your future journey in the Air Force

Last edited by bvilchez; 11-23-2011 at 09:14 PM.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #18
Swany
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Robert
Trading: (0)
Partagas Army (Active)
Swany is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Check out legalzoom.com like already mentioned above.

IMO, it doesn't matter how long one has been in the military or if we believe he shouldn't get one. What we should do is support this fellow BOTL in his mission to making sure his loved ones are taken care of while he is away. Everyone has different situations that may arise so telling him that he can deal with it later should not be the correct response. Again this is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

And yes we all will die but no one knows when so why not be prepared?
Very good point. Sorry if I got off topic.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

I have no ecperienvce with them outside of the ones I get from base. I would like to think if you talked to your recruiter and asked him they could have one done at MEPs before you go to boot. Welcome to a new life. Congrats on deciding to serve.