Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road
Default Which Router?

I'm wanting to get a new router so I can hook my TV up to NetFlix.

I want to use an Ethernet cable and will be running my computer from this same router as well.

I see Ebay has a number of inexpensive routers (around $10) and wonder if any of these would be good enough for NetFlix?

Thanks
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which Router?

I wouldn't buy a router that isn't at least wireless G....I would recommend N though. I have a linksys wireless G router (3 years old) and it works just fine.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Do you need wireless capabilities? Or, just a simple ethernet router?

Some phones, wireless tv's will only have wireless N capabilities. Not sure if that is important to you. Something to think about.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

The new 'standard' is N. I use a motorola surfboard.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Some of the old linksys G's are VERY nice you can upload newer software to them and they are rock solid. Netgear are good as well, I would DEFINITELY get a wireless N though.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Do you need wireless capabilities? Or, just a simple ethernet router?

Some phones, wireless tv's will only have wireless N capabilities. Not sure if that is important to you. Something to think about.
My TV is about 25 feet from the computer and my computer is using a simple ethernet single port router, so I am wanting to stay with an ethernet cable and just upgrade to a multi-port router.

My computer can go wireless or cable and my TV can go wireless (if I buy the part that plugs into the TV) or cable.

The cable route looks like it will cost less and will not be a problem for me to run to the TV, so I'm thinking it may be the best way for me to go.

Just looking for one that is inexpensive, dependable, easy to set up and fast enough for running NetFlix and the online options that my TV has.

Thanks
Ken
Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

What are you using for you internet connection? Many of the modems can be had with a built in router...

With that said, you can do one of several things:

buy an inexpensive 4 port ethernet hub and put it between your rounter and other devices (acts just like a USB hub and give you more ports)

get a new router - if you go this route, the big thing to make sure you get is a gigabit router 1Gb/s. While you may not use this now it will provide expandability as many newer devices are coming with 10/100/1000 ports. Balance this with the cost / need though..

If you do not need wireless do not worry about it. As for G or N, the only N device I have is my router, lol.....none of my other wireless devices support N so for me it does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
My TV is about 25 feet from the computer and my computer is using a simple ethernet single port router, so I am wanting to stay with an ethernet cable and just upgrade to a multi-port router.

My computer can go wireless or cable and my TV can go wireless (if I buy the part that plugs into the TV) or cable.

The cable route looks like it will cost less and will not be a problem for me to run to the TV, so I'm thinking it may be the best way for me to go.

Just looking for one that is inexpensive, dependable, easy to set up and fast enough for running NetFlix and the online options that my TV has.

Thanks
Ken
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
What are you using for you internet connection? Many of the modems can be had with a built in router...

With that said, you can do one of several things:

buy an inexpensive 4 port ethernet hub and put it between your rounter and other devices (acts just like a USB hub and give you more ports)

get a new router - if you go this route, the big thing to make sure you get is a gigabit router 1Gb/s. While you may not use this now it will provide expandability as many newer devices are coming with 10/100/1000 ports. Balance this with the cost / need though..

If you do not need wireless do not worry about it. As for G or N, the only N device I have is my router, lol.....none of my other wireless devices support N so for me it does not matter.
Your first question shows what I know. I was thinking that a Router and modem were one in the same thing.

At this time, I have a Qwest DSL modem (Actiontec model GT701) that has only 1 ethernet outlet in back.

There will be times when the computer and TV will be used at the same time. With that being said, will any of these options give me better, or worse performance than the others?

Thanks for your help.
Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Based upon your description you may be able to just buy a 4-8 port switch. A switch can be put between your router and your TV and/or other devices. You don't need to worry about port speeds too much with the router port as I'm sure even 10/100 will be more than anything your ISP can throw at you bandwidth-wise. Even Comcast business class top of the line option is only 50mb/s. If you have any device to device transfers(inside the router) like from one pc to another then and only then will port speeds make a difference. And, in such a case a gigabit switch would still be much cheaper and easier than replacing the router.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #10
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Based upon your description you may be able to just buy a 4-8 port switch. A switch can be put between your router and your TV and/or other devices. You don't need to worry about port speeds too much with the router port as I'm sure even 10/100 will be more than anything your ISP can throw at you bandwidth-wise. Even Comcast business class top of the line option is only 50mb/s. If you have any device to device transfers(inside the router) like from one pc to another then and only then will port speeds make a difference. And, in such a case a gigabit switch would still be much cheaper and easier than replacing the router.
Thank you for your help.

This is the modem that I have.
http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=70

Will a port switch work with this modem and allow me to use the TV and computer at the same time?

Thanks again.
Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you for your help.

Will a port switch work with this modem and allow me to use the TV and computer at the same time?

Thanks again.
Ken

Looks like the modem can handle routing so a switch would work. Alternately you could connect the computer via USB and the TV via ethernet and not need the switch at all.

If you need help configuring let me know and we can talk via phone or connect via webex and I can set things up for ya...

Last edited by Starz26; 11-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you for your help.

Thanks again.
Ken
Do you have another ethernet router already between this modem and your devices, or is this the router you were referring to?

I guess my question isn't that pertinent, but I am curious. Anyway, yes. If you plug this modem into an ethernet switch, then plug your TV and your computer/etc into the switch, it should work fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Looks like the modem can handle routing so a switch would work. Alternately you could connect the computer via USB and the TV via ethernet and not need the switch at all.

If you need help configuring let me know and we can talk via phone or connect via webex and I can set things up for ya...
This could be a viable alternative assuming you only need these two devices connected.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

At this time, all I have is this modem and the computer is connected to it by an Ethernet cable.

I just tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable and connecting the computer to the modem with a USB cable.

The computer could not make a connection to the internet.

I then installed the the software that came with the modem and still could not get a connection to the internet.

I switched everything back to the Ethernet cable so I could get back online.

I'm not sure why the USB won't work, but it sure sounded like a good idea if it did. If I can get it to work, then all I will need to buy is a 25 foot Ethernet cable for the TV and I'll be in business.

Any ideas?

Thanks again
Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #15
Will herf for food

VR

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of having the modem directly connected to a PC. I know it has router capabilities, but a true dedicated router will provide better security IMO. They can be had cheap, especially since you don't need wireless. However, you can get a cheap WiFi router with 4 ethernet ports for about $30.

Here's a link to one with 802.11N capabilities and a 4 ethernet ports for $30.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-...&skuId=9706754

This will resolve all your issues, provide better security, and give you Wireless capabilites should you ever want them in the future.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of having the modem directly connected to a PC. I know it has router capabilities, but a true dedicated router will provide better security IMO. They can be had cheap, especially since you don't need wireless. However, you can get a cheap WiFi router with 4 ethernet ports for about $30.

Here's a link to one with 802.11N capabilities and a 4 ethernet ports for $30.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+-...&skuId=9706754

This will resolve all your issues, provide better security, and give you Wireless capabilites should you ever want them in the future.
This looks good.

So if I understand correctly, this will connect to my modem and then I connect my computer and TV to it and I can go wireless sometime in the future if I choose.
If I got this right, then it looks like a winner to me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Have a great day.
Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
This looks good.

So if I understand correctly, this will connect to my modem and then I connect my computer and TV to it and I can go wireless sometime in the future if I choose.
If I got this right, then it looks like a winner to me.

Thanks for all of your help.

Have a great day.
Ken
You are dead on.

The router will come with instructions on how to configure the Wi-Fi. It will instruct you to connect a PC or laptop with ethernet (as you described), then go to a certain web address (probably https://192.168.1.1 ) which will be the inside/private IP of your new router. From there you can enter the admin username/password and configure/disable WiFi as you see fit. When you set it up, make sure to change the default password to something else, and either disable the Wireless or at least configure it with WPA2 with a PSK (Pre-Shared Key).

WPA2 is a type of encryption that is very secure. People who want to use your WiFi would have to put in this password (PSK) in order to to connect, then all the traffic is encrypted with WPA2 to prevent malicious neighbors/etc from snooping your internet traffic.

PM me if you need help. I usually frequent CA during business hours M-F, so I may not get back to you ASAP, but I will do what I can to help.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Thanks to everyone for all of their help.

Have a great weekend.
Ken
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Do you know of any problems using Windows 7 with the D-Link - Wireless-N 150 Router?

I saw 1 review that a person couldn't make it work with Windows 7.

My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite with I-7 860 processor and it is using windows 7. It also has a wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n

Thanks again.
Ken
Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Linksys delivered. Enjoy.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote