Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about DVD writing...

I have a big pile of bluray discs. If I simply write files or put an .iso of a program on there, will it read in any cd-rom? (I specifically have a program .iso that's around 7gb that I want to burn.)
I'm not writing a bluray movie to the disc, won't be later, and will just close the write session. I won't need to store any other info on that disc at a later date.
I could get around this by buying dual layer dvd's, obviously, but I don't have any on hand. This is a question I've been wondering about since I got my bluray burners and haven't explored it yet.

Hopefully I've asked this clearly enough. Thanks, guys!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question about DVD writing...

Not that I'm aware of, Scott.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I might just have to try it, huh?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

IIRC any computer that is 1.8GHZ dual core or faster CAN play bluray. Why worry about a CD-Rom? Send me a PM and I'm sure I can work out whatever idea you have
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I'm not up on the most current technology, but I know DVDs don't play in regular cd-roms, and I don't know why a bluray would.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
IIRC any computer that is 1.8GHZ dual core or faster CAN play bluray. Why worry about a CD-Rom? Send me a PM and I'm sure I can work out whatever idea you have
I don't need the machine to play bluray. I need to know if a cdrom or dvdrom or any other device in that vein will read data-only on a BD-R, or if it's completely unrecognizable.
I can just run a quick test tomorrow, I'll know in 15 minutes.
Thanks though, brother!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I'm guessing that you have blank blu-ray discs and a dvd player that can read and write blu-ray. Blu-ray is a different format from the older DVD formats. If the reader doesn't understand blu-ray and you write in blu-ray, then you won't be able to read it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I'm guessing that you have blank blu-ray discs and a dvd player that can read and write blu-ray. Blu-ray is a different format from the older DVD formats. If the reader doesn't understand blu-ray and you write in blu-ray, then you won't be able to read it.
That's exactly what I was looking for, Mark. Thank You!!!
Yes, I have dual bluray burners in my current rig and a whole bunch of blank blurays. I was considering using the blurays as a long-term storage solution, but if I can only read them on a machine that has a bluray player, that's not very sensible. My desktop is the only computer in the house that's bluray capable, it'll take time for the rest to catch up.