Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #41
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Single Malt Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Picked up a bottle of this on a whim. Haven't tried it yet (maybe tonight!).

The Singleton of Glendullan

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/10/0...dullan-scotch/

Anybody try this one?

Never tried it but I saw one bottle come into the store and it didn't sit on the shelf very long.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #42
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Tried The Singleton tonight...

Caught a fruity/floral scent right away. Had a nice body to it. It was more peaty than I normally like, but it wasn't overpowering. Thought this review I found nailed it:

Quote:
...Glendullan distillery presents its first American offering this fall, The Singleton, a 12-year single malt that most Scotch enthusiasts will likely find perfectly pleasant, if a bit entry-level.

Produced in the crowded Speyside region, Glendullan's 40-proof Singleton is a darker 12-year than most, but the taste is fairly light. Buttery smoke is first on the nose, and in the quaff. Floral notes are secondary, followed by light apple, nutty almond, and faint grassy tones. It's very approachable for a Scotch pro, but I probably wouldn't unleash it as a first-time whisky on a newcomer to the spirit. The more I drink it the more I like it, though I do prefer more honey/vanilla sweetness in my whisky.

On a secondary note: The bottle is an oblong number that resembles an (oversized) flask, a design that's really growing in popularity these days.

Not a terrible price for a Scotch that is likely to be hard to come by for the immediate future. Give it a try if you're a single malt enthusiast.

B+ / $36 / www.malts.com
I look forward to a few more drams.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #43
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Questions. Im normally a rum guy but I thought at the ripe old age of 22 id start branching out.

Im just getting into Single Malts. I just went to Total Wine and talked to them a little and grabbed a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, and Bunnahabain 12.

I came home to find an old unopened bottle of Mcallan 12. I realize it doesnt age outide of the cask but is there a way to tell when this was bought? I also came upon a couple bottles of J&B (any good?)

Based on what i have rounded up is there anything I'm missing?
Doing a tasting with a friend of mine later this week, is there a particular order youd all recommend?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #44
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Not a fan of Scotch. Prefer bourbon. That being said, I think I could drink Talisker Distillers Edition just about ANY day of the week. Not expensive, generally $50-65 per bottle range, but NOT available at all in Bama, and difficult to find elsewhere since it's a limited production item.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #45
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Questions. Im normally a rum guy but I thought at the ripe old age of 22 id start branching out.

Im just getting into Single Malts. I just went to Total Wine and talked to them a little and grabbed a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, and Bunnahabain 12.

I came home to find an old unopened bottle of Mcallan 12. I realize it doesnt age outide of the cask but is there a way to tell when this was bought? I also came upon a couple bottles of J&B (any good?)

Based on what i have rounded up is there anything I'm missing?
Doing a tasting with a friend of mine later this week, is there a particular order youd all recommend?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Just like Cigars - drink what you like and buy what you drink. As a scotch newbie you got some popular newbie stuff that are good quality but not usually preferred by seasoned single malt folks. Just got to try them till you find what you like best which is all that matters.

I just poured 3 fingers of Lagavulin 16 over my standard 3 small cubes of distilled water ice which is my favorite but many of my Malt friends find Lagavulin too smokey for them.

J&B is upper medium quality blended not single malt so not even in the running.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #46
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

So being a newbie I should learn from the three bottles what I prefer. Correct me if im wrong but Macallan would be the cleanest and Bunnahabvain would be the peatiest? I suspect im going to like the smokey peaty flavor best. Its a flavor throughout my life im drawn to.
We shall see.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #47
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
So being a newbie I should learn from the three bottles what I prefer. Correct me if im wrong but Macallan would be the cleanest and Bunnahabvain would be the peatiest? I suspect im going to like the smokey peaty flavor best. Its a flavor throughout my life im drawn to.
We shall see.
Heavens no I did not mean you should learn from 3 bottles or anything like that. It is so similar to cigars - try as many as you can. Macallan is on the sweet side but I have never tasted Bunnahabvain.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #48
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

I was speaking as to what style highlands, lowlands, Islays etc not just the three brands i currently have. I am by no means close minded.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #49
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

I enjoy Balvenie Double Wood 12, Cragganmore 12, and Laphroaig quarter cask. I don't remember buying much for them (not over $50ish).
Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #50
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
I just poured 3 fingers of Lagavulin 16 over my standard 3 small cubes of distilled water ice which is my favorite but many of my Malt friends find Lagavulin too smokey for them.
My favorite too! I like it neat. Perfect during the cold months.
GolfNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #51
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
I take it you fancy Scotch? That is an impressive collection you got going, especially being in Canada.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #52
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Wild Scotsman is very good, distilled by the only master distiller in the US of A, a local fellow(to me) to boot!

http://wildscotsman.com/whisky/
Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #53
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Just pokin around in here. Just finished a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood. Looking around to see what to try next. I really loved the Balvenie and want to try another with that sweet front end.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #54
eldondo

Some of my favorite Whiskys (left to right: Highland Park, Macallan, Glen Grant, Tobermory Ledaig; all distilled in 1973)

Another all time favorite is Ardbeg Lord of the Isles... hard to get for a decent price...

Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #55
ChicagoWhiteSox

Some great bottles Heiko.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #56
eldondo

Thx... I have some more 73s (which is my year of birth) comin at this weekend... pix'll follow...
Old 10-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #57
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

so..........in the effort to find a cheaper alternative to Balvenie Doublewood, I picked up some Abelour 12. It is very very very very very close on the front end and the nose. Very sweet and oaky and a bit of vanillla. I LOVE that flavor. However, the Abelour is a LOT more astringent on the backend. It almost burns going down. It is very close, but the search still continues. For another $13, I pick Balvenie.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #58
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Costco is selling Macallan made 16 year sherry wood finished Scotch for I think $60 a bottle.

Has anyone tried this batch?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #59
eldondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Costco is selling Macallan made 16 year sherry wood finished Scotch for I think $60 a bottle.

Has anyone tried this batch?
Definetly something better than the Fine Oak crap....
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #60
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road

I have only recently moved into Scotch. My first bottle was Laphroaig Quarter Cask and it was decent. Very much an iodine hint to it. I was looking for a bottle of Scotch for my dad for Christmas and got him a bottle of Tomatin 12 year old. I will have to try it when he opens it. I got myself a bottle of Longmorn 15 year old. It had been sitting on the shelf at the store a while because the box had about an 1/8" of dust on the top of it. I tried that last night and I really liked it! Very mellow and on the sweet side. It's very creamy and buttery. Apparently they stopped making it though and now sell a 16 year old instead.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote