Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Total Shoulder replacment?

Has anyone here had one?

Its looking like i will be needing one soon and to be honest I'm scared sh!tless. Ive already had the hip replacement but from what I've heard already the shoulder is horrible.

Please share any info/ experience you have.

One part closer to cyborg
Mark
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Total Shoulder replacment?

Don't know of anyone who had this done. My friend had his rotator cuff repaired. It was a big deal but he came through OK. The recovery time was long, but he did all of his PT and exercises and his shoulder is good as new!

Hope that everything goes OK for you!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

Future Mark?

My family have all torn their rotator cuffs, but I don't know anyone that's gone through a shoulder replacement. Wish you the best of luck with the recovery, and at least you can still smoke cigars with your other hand
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
tobii3

well, they superglued, screwed, nailed, and I think duct-taped my scapula to hold it together.

If that's any indication/comparison of how bad the shoulder could be, DON'T DO IT.

&^%$, even BREATHING hurt.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
mash is on a distinguished road

My brother had his done. You're right, the technology isn't quite where hips are, but the point is to eliminate chronic pain. If you have a good surgeon, this should be the outcome.
Once it gets to the point where you can't sleep at night because you hurt all the time, it looks a lot more attractive.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had it done, but I'd do my back surgery all over again if I had to.
The worse that can happen with a shoulder is if they leave it off, and if it hurts anything like my back did, it's worth it.
They don't run into this kind of surgery, so you must have exhausted all the options.
Balance how good your hip feels and flip a coin.
If you don't find anyone here who's had it done, I'm sure if you look you'll find a joint replacement forum out there. Read up and talk to the folks there.
Good luck, Marc. Our prayers will be with you, my friend!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Resipsa

Not yet but the doctor already warned me it's in my future. I've already had 4 operations, thw worst of which put me in an airplane brace for almost 3 months and I still have problems and pain with it. If it gives you some relief I say go for it
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I have A vascular necrosis in the head of the humeral. It is only getting worse and worse. I have passed the point of being able to sleep thus the doc prescribed me Ambien which works but isn't a solution.

Made an appointment with an Orthopedic doc and a rumetoloist we'll see where this goes.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Boy, oh boy, that sounds like fun! Wish I could add something useful, but allow me to send you all the best wishes possible!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I have A vascular necrosis in the head of the humeral. It is only getting worse and worse. I have passed the point of being able to sleep thus the doc prescribed me Ambien which works but isn't a solution.

Made an appointment with an Orthopedic doc and a rumetoloist we'll see where this goes.
Sheeeeesh dude, I'm hurtin for ya. Wishing you all the best brother....really.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Thanks all. Today kinda sealed the deal for me. Something popped today and its been hell since.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I have absolutely no guidance to give... but my thoughts and prayers will be with ya brother!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
ahc4353

Prayers sent Mark. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Damn Wolfie, I hate to hear that. I know it seems like you've been through hell and back.

I can't give you first hand experience but I have a client that had his replaced. It's been probably about 5 years or so since he had the last one as they had to do it 3 times because it kept going "bad" so to speak. He can't play golf anymore or do a lot of other things that he previosuly could, but he's almost 65 years old now, too.

But joint replacement has come a long way in a short period of time, it's almost like having a cavity filled. Just routine, almost. I'll be thinking about you bro.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Good luck Mark, I'll be prayin' for you...
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

At 65 things are different. I'm a spry 21 year old I healed much faster than most after my hip replacement. And im hoping age will be on my side this time too. I will update after I see the Ortho Doctor hopefully its just a muscle tear or something.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Dooge
I drink with awsmith4!

Trading: (4)
Dooge will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about this mark! thoughts and prayers are with you!
Dooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
tx_tuff

Prayers sent your way, hope you get some good news.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
andrew

I work in an ortho hospital and we've had a few TSAs. Like with any surgery, there are risks involved. The most extensive part will be PT. Typically, after the procedure, a three or four day hospitalization is all that's needed to ensure that the patient is stable, then the rest is done in an outpatient setting.

What are your concerns with the procedure?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Never heard of this, but it sounds serious and since you've had the hip done, you know more than most will tell you.

I can't and don't want to imagine this, but hope you all the success and speedy recovery. You'll be doing Arnold's with 60's in no time. Well hopefully at least