Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #2581
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

While it won't be in a smoker exactly, I'm cooking a brisket on friday, but I have a question. When a recipe says "top" of the brisket is that the side with a layer of fat?

It's going to be cooking for a total of 6 hours, gas grill (shudder) but I've got some chips that will be smoking the whole time too.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #2582
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

anyone try thai style ribs...

found this recipe... the cook time seems a bit low... what do you guys think?

Ingredients

3 -1 1/2 lb racks of baby back ribs, membrane removed
3 cups of apple wood chips (750ml)

Thai Marinade
2 tablespoons peanut oil (30ml)
2 teaspoons of sesame oil (10ml)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (30ml)
2 tablespoons garlic, minced (30ml)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (15ml)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (60ml)
2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves removed and center thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar (30ml)
1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar (15ml)
The juice of 2 limes

Dipping & Basting Sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (15ml)
1/2 cup pineapple juice (125ml)
The juice of 2 limes
2 tablespoons white sugar (30ml)
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped (15ml)
1 teaspoon chili pure (10ml)
1 stalk lemon grass, finely chopped

Method

In a small bowl mix together rice wine vinegar, pineapple juice, lime juice, sugar, garlic, chili puree, and lemongrass.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until time to serve with the ribs.

In a large bowl whisk together fish sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, cilantro, lemon grass, sugar, rice wine vinegar and lime juice.

Place ribs in a sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over ribs and place in the refrigerator. Let marinate for 4 hours.

Soak only 2 cups (500ml) of the apple wood chips in water for one hour.

Prepare barbeque for grilling with indirect heat by preheating one side of the grill to 400°F/200°C or high heat and leaving the other side of the grill off.

Prepare a smoke pouch by squeezing the excess liquid from the soaked wood chips and place them on the centre of a large piece of tin foil. Combine the dry wood chips with the wet and fold the foil around the wood chips creating a pouch.

Using a fork, poke several holes in the smoke pouch and place it under the grate on the heated side of the barbeque. Close the lid and wait for smoke.

Once you have smoke, lower the heat under the smoke pouch to 275°F/135°C or medium heat and place the ribs on the opposite side of the grill where the burner remains off.

Close the lid and smoke ribs for 2.5 hours.

Baste Ribs with dipping and basting sauce in the last half hour.
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #2583
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacboy View Post
anyone try thai style ribs...
No, but I know what I'm making this weekend.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #2584
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
While it won't be in a smoker exactly, I'm cooking a brisket on friday, but I have a question. When a recipe says "top" of the brisket is that the side with a layer of fat?

It's going to be cooking for a total of 6 hours, gas grill (shudder) but I've got some chips that will be smoking the whole time too.
Whenever I do a brisket the "top" for me is always the side with the fat.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #2585
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! I figured as much, then all the fat would drip down the rest of the meat. Mhmmmmmmmm
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #2586
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road

Well the football season is upon us once again. Some of you know I'm pretty involved in our football programs. We cook at all the Jr Pro thru High School home games. Tomorrow is our opening day for the little guys.
All our coolers are full and ready for a day of grilling. 100 pork burgers, 100 chicken breasts, 85 brats, 125 + hotdogs and 50+ ribeye steaks for sandwiches. Oh and 3-40 pound bags of charcoal. Start cooking at 3:30 and hoping to finish by 9pm. What's cool is all of our food is donated so it's a great money maker for the program.
One of these days I'll get some pictures of our outings!!
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #2587
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof3illinois View Post
Well the football season is upon us once again. Some of you know I'm pretty involved in our football programs. We cook at all the Jr Pro thru High School home games. Tomorrow is our opening day for the little guys.
All our coolers are full and ready for a day of grilling. 100 pork burgers, 100 chicken breasts, 85 brats, 125 + hotdogs and 50+ ribeye steaks for sandwiches. Oh and 3-40 pound bags of charcoal. Start cooking at 3:30 and hoping to finish by 9pm. What's cool is all of our food is donated so it's a great money maker for the program.
One of these days I'll get some pictures of our outings!!
It's a good thing that you do, Jerry.

Pics would be awesome.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #2588
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
How did those ribs turn out Brent?
The ribs turned out good

Made another batch of jerky yesterday and then put on a beef clod. I cut the clod into four pieces though.... more bark!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #2589
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm firing up 2 butts today with my first attempt at baked beans. Going to inject them and use a rub from the virtual weber site. My cookout is tomorrow, but I don't want to put them on and cook overnight to keep temps controlled better.

Sam's Club has a BBQ competition going on today that's only a couple of miles from me. Free samples from 11am-4pm.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #2590
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Did some ribs yesterday on the WSM 22.5...smoked them with apple chunks for 4 1/2hrs at about 250 and they came out awesome, everyone devoured them. I'm quiet happy with my first ribs!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #2591
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Those ribs look real good Dave! Almost makes me want to get out in the heat an do a mess up myself...almost!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #2592
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

WOW, you SHOULD be happy with those racks. They came out looking a lot like mine, but shot under different light I am afraid.
For some reason I never remember to shoot them outside on the grill. I am always a few bones in before it hits me....CRAP, I needed
to shoot those, lol. And so with today. I gave a rack to the kid downstairs for his birthday to share with no one or everyone,
and started in on mine a few minutes ago. Then I remembered. So here is the partially eaten rack. The dogs got a rib each, too.
I decided to go off the menu today and leave them dry. Added a lot more sugar and kosher salt to my original rub. Very tasty.
The nap at the end got me, though. These are PERFECTLY tender and moist, but a tad mushy. Which I like, so no problems,
but would not win me any pro prizes. Dig that crystally crust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 Aug ribs 1.jpg (111.9 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 13 Aug ribs 2.jpg (116.2 KB, 359 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #2593
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

My butts took 9 hours on the smoker, set them in my cooler to rest for an hour and then pulled them. By far the best butts I've ever made. I think the pulled pork will be a big hit for my get together tomorrow afternoon. Baked beans were good-don't know that I'd say they really tasted "smokey" though.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #2594
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
The ribs turned out good

Made another batch of jerky yesterday and then put on a beef clod. I cut the clod into four pieces though.... more bark!!!
more bark = more better!....gotta do some chuckie soon!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #2595
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thai bbr's in the smoker. I'll let you guys know how they taste. Smoking with some pecan wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #2596
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Thai bbr's in the smoker. I'll let you guys know how they taste. Smoking with some pecan wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

looking forward to it
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #2597
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Here's the Thai BBQ baby backs. They turned out awesome.

I had to modify the recipe a bit as the store was out of cilantro, I couldn't find lemongrass and I forgot to get pineapple juice. I just omitted the cilantro, but will look into it for next time. instead of the lemon grass, I used fresh lemon juice. Just half a lemon for the marinade, then the other half for the mop. I went with extra rice wine vinegar for the mop, plus added some honey for a little more sweetness.

They were spicy, tangy, sweet. Needed just a touch more salty for my liking, but overall they were great. Served with a spicy coleslaw along side.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #2598
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Saturday I used some pulled pork I smoked a couple weeks ago and had in the freezer and made a pulled pork pizza on a stone on the Weber performer. It was awesome. A little bbq sauce, pulled pork, red onion and a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Cooked in about 8 minutes with just a little char around the bottom edges of the crust.

I made another with Canadian bacon and pineapple for the girlfriend, but the pulled pork was the best of the two.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #2599
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am always disappointed when I cook other dishes with leftover Pulled Pork. So I just eat it the regular way, haha.
Those Thai ribs look incredible! I can only imagine the flavor. My ribs from the weekend gave me terrible burps. Need to
figure that out, haha. Spent some time at Alfred's balcony on Beale St. yesterday taking pics of various Elvi out and about.
THIS is going to be one fantastic Elvis Week! The temps are not expected to rise above 93 all week. Compare at 98-100
for the last several years, maybe the last ten. Might cook uip some beef ribs this week in honor of the king.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #2600
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Here's the Thai BBQ baby backs. They turned out awesome.

I had to modify the recipe a bit as the store was out of cilantro, I couldn't find lemongrass and I forgot to get pineapple juice. I just omitted the cilantro, but will look into it for next time. instead of the lemon grass, I used fresh lemon juice. Just half a lemon for the marinade, then the other half for the mop. I went with extra rice wine vinegar for the mop, plus added some honey for a little more sweetness.

They were spicy, tangy, sweet. Needed just a touch more salty for my liking, but overall they were great. Served with a spicy coleslaw along side.

they look delish!!! did you have to cook them a bit longer then the recipe said?

lemon grass is pretty hard to find... gotta go to a south asian market usually.... did you add honey to the mop only or marinade too... gonna have to try this one... i usually do dry rub only but been craving a spicy sweet wet rib... that's why i looked it up... gonna fire up the smoker this weekend for this...

any other reccomendations for as sweet / spicy rib guys? i would like to try a couple while i have her going.