Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #361
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Second Firearm Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
You mean in the next couple weeks, or in 2017.sometime?
The session starts early in 2017 and if it passes the first session then it would go into effect July 1st I believe. The bills have already been filed. I believe they had the votes to pass it last year in the senate. It passed the house, but was held up in committee by a republican chair believe it or not. That senator lost his re-election to a democrat (probably thanks to a lot of conservatives voting for him to get rid of the republican) and a different republican that is very pro gun now chairs that committee.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #362
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Havent looked at new guns in a while but im wanting another sub compact single stack 9mm to CCW. I gave my Kahr PM9 to the wife when she got her permit, so i want something similar for me. I like the Kimber micro or ultra carry, i have the midsize Kimber 1911, but find it tough to conceal. Also considering another Kahr and the M&P shield. Not a huge glock fan, never could get used to the grip and trigger on my 22 or 27. Open to just about anything else.
I find the Kimbers to be a little difficult for concealed carry. Not a fan of Glock either. great reliability but natural aim point is way off for me. The M&P Shield is a good choice and one you may not have considered but I really like is the Taurus Curve
www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm
it is only a 380 but a great weapon in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #363
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
The session starts early in 2017 and if it passes the first session then it would go into effect July 1st I believe. The bills have already been filed. I believe they had the votes to pass it last year in the senate. It passed the house, but was held up in committee by a republican chair believe it or not. That senator lost his re-election to a democrat (probably thanks to a lot of conservatives voting for him to get rid of the republican) and a different republican that is very pro gun now chairs that committee.
Thanks for explaining. In Ohio, bills from the previous two year session die if not passed, and the process must start all over. Most annoying to lose out that way. To make it worse, the first week or two of each new session is all about resolutions that do things like rename roads and bridges for recently dead politicians.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #364
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Thanks for explaining. In Ohio, bills from the previous two year session die if not passed, and the process must start all over. Most annoying to lose out that way. To make it worse, the first week or two of each new session is all about resolutions that do things like rename roads and bridges for recently dead politicians.
I am def not an expert on how it works in Florida by no means. I learned what I do know last year mostly from a forum I belong to and following open carry. The house and senate have various committees that any bill first has to pass a vote and pass all the committees before a full vote is taken. The Senator I mentioned refused to hear campus carry or open carry in the committee he chaired, effectively killing the bill. Which as you can imagine enraged gun rights people. He lost his re-election mainly (opinion) because of it.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #365
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Anyone have any first hand knowledge about SCCY pistols? I have watched several vids on them, and other than Hickock45 having some picky ammo issues, they look pretty good for , as they say "the money".

I have a friend that considering picking one up to stash away for SHTF moments, and he was asking me my opinion. I told him what I had seen, but I figured I would come to the "Knowledge Bank" and see what could be drug up.

TIA.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #366
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

First Name: Benedic
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
benedic08 has a spectacular aura aboutbenedic08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Anyone have any first hand knowledge about SCCY pistols? I have watched several vids on them, and other than Hickock45 having some picky ammo issues, they look pretty good for , as they say "the money".

I have a friend that considering picking one up to stash away for SHTF moments, and he was asking me my opinion. I told him what I had seen, but I figured I would come to the "Knowledge Bank" and see what could be drug up.

TIA.
I was able to try a sccy pistol before. My biggest complaint on the gun is the horrible trigger. The long trigger pull is very gritty and you can actually feel the plastic trigger flexing a bit during the long trigger pull. Best pistol in that size i have tried is the Kel tec PF9. Your friend should try the different pistols out if a range has them as rentals. Its the best way to know what he's comfortable with.
benedic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #367
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
I find the Kimbers to be a little difficult for concealed carry. Not a fan of Glock either. great reliability but natural aim point is way off for me. The M&P Shield is a good choice and one you may not have considered but I really like is the Taurus Curve
www.taurususa.com/whats-new-the-curve.cfm
it is only a 380 but a great weapon in my opinion.
Thanks, hadnt really considered Taurus after the miserable PT140 i had. Failed qualifications after the sights came off while shooting. Took it inside the shop still dirty and traded it for the Glock 27. I'm really leaning towards the M&P Shield 9mm performance center model at the moment.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #368
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks, hadnt really considered Taurus after the miserable PT140 i had. Failed qualifications after the sights came off while shooting. Took it inside the shop still dirty and traded it for the Glock 27. I'm really leaning towards the M&P Shield 9mm performance center model at the moment.
Shield is really nice.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #369
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
In my limited experience opinion you cannot go wrong with a shield. I bought the 40 a year ago, and just now sold it and bought the 45 shield. The reason I bought the 45 is the fact that for my Florida G license I have to qualify every year for every caliber I carry. With both of my pistols being 45 I only have to qualify once instead of twice and that in turn will save me at least 70 bucks a year. I love them. I carry it appendix most of the time and I have a Desantis Seperfly for pocket carry when I am wearing BDUs at a job.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #370
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Does anyone have a .22 lr conversion kit for their AR? I can't decide on a kit or just a new gun. I can get an M&P 15-22 for $350, so is it worth it to get a $250 kit or just a new gun. Any opinions?
Spoke to my father and he didn't recall the brand he has and has never used his. Im on the phone with him right now and he said he will dig it out of his safe and get back with me on the brand. On a positive note, he said he forgot he had it and will try it out.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #371
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I'd just get the S&W, mags are amazingly easy to load. I thought I read about some problems with the M&P-22 but can't recall. I just don't like the plastic lower though.

I had purchased a .22 dedicated upper from CMMG and I was using their mags. Magazines were a pain to load, just like loading 10/22 mags. I picked the ready-mag adapter https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52 and have been using S&W magazines. The S&W magazines have a thumb assist that makes the loading so much easier. Sometimes the last round bolt hold open doesn't work, that doesn't bother me much, but I do have one of the very early models that were made.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #372
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late...

Old 12-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #373
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Now thats funny
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #374
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Welp, I am considering buying an AR 15. Have never had one, but since it will be my first I am seriously considering buying the S&W M&P 15 Sport 2. I can get one online with a first responder discount for $579 plus $20 transfer fee.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #375
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Welp, I am considering buying an AR 15. Have never had one, but since it will be my first I am seriously considering buying the S&W M&P 15 Sport 2. I can get one online with a first responder discount for $579 plus $20 transfer fee.
Thats not a bad price for the M&P sport
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #376
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Happy New Year Brothers, may your collections grow!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #377
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Happy New Year.

Can anyone recommend a discrete soft case for an M&P 15 Sport? I have looked at several that are rectangular and I would prefer to have some pockets inside that can hold mags and such. And I am hoping to get something that don't break me. I read the reviews on a lot of them and it seems the zippers are crappy and break very soon after folks get them. Thanks
Old 12-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #378
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I am looking for something that I can carry from the car to different places like motels if we are out of town or on vacation that doesn't really look like a rifle case. No I aint getting no guitar rifle case. LOL
Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #379
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Break down the rifle, grab a couple 20's and shove in your duffle bag. The Larue covert rifle case is nice too.

You have your ccw, no? Why not just carry on you? Just a few things to think about, Are you planning on leaving the rifle in your room, in basically an unsecured bag, where who knows how many people have access too? Are you planning on carrying it everywhere with you and leave it in a car that can be broken into anytime?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #380
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Break down the rifle, grab a couple 20's and shove in your duffle bag. The Larue covert rifle case is nice too.

You have your ccw, no? Why not just carry on you? Just a few things to think about, Are you planning on leaving the rifle in your room, in basically an unsecured bag, where who knows how many people have access too? Are you planning on carrying it everywhere with you and leave it in a car that can be broken into anytime?
Yes I have a CCW, but you can't carry long guns on you in Florida unless they are concealed with a permit. You can open carry when you are doing a few things that are stipulated in the statute. No I wouldn't leave it in the room unsecured. Truth be told that was just an example, my wife and I hardly ever stay in a motel anyway. If you carry it in the car, IMO there is going to be times when you just have to leave it in the car. At least in Florida. I am intending to probably have it in the back floorboard of my car for access, and then if I have to leave it in the car then i would transfer to the trunk as long as everyone and their grandma couldn't see me doing it. I'm not sure how someone could carry a long gun in a vehicle when you are out and about and not EVER leave it in the car at some point. I know it's not optimum but unavoidable at some point. I mean the only other option is leave it at home, and that's not a guarantee that it won't be stolen there either. My home was broken into several years ago and two of my pistols were stolen.

The larue is the style I have been coming back to and there are several brands of the style.