Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default La Aurora Preferidos Emerald

Size: 5X54 Perfecto
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Piloto Cubano
Filler: PilotoCubano, Bahia, Nicaraguan
Price: $18.50

I travel for work and spend almost every other night in a hotel. For those who do not know I am a railroad conductor. It rained all day today and when I first checked into my hotel it was hot outside and the humidity was sky high. As the evening arrived the temperatures cooled down and the humidity diminished so it was time to sit out front and enjoy a good cigar. Tonight I decided it was time to smoke the La Aurora Preferidos 1903 Edition Emerald. There are five blends in this series and the cigars are a wonderful perfecto shape like the original cigars made in the La Aurora Factory in 1903.

The La Aurora Preferidos Emerald comes in a nice metal tube. The wrapper is a medium tan shade with a hint of oil and an overall rustic look. Several veins and bumps cover the wrapper, and though I did not capture it with my camera, it had a hint of plume. The classic perfecto shape is tapered at both ends with the foot open. The cap is well done and the cigar is packed solidly full of tobacco. There was no give when I squeezed the cigar and no soft spots. The aroma off the wrapper and foot was sweet tobacco with a hint of wood and spice. The prelight draw was cinnamon, leather, and spice. My XIKAR Xi3 cut the cap perfectly smooth.

The tapered foot lights easily and starts producing sweet smelling tobacco aromas right away. The first few puffs had a slightly tight draw but it opened up right away. The smoke was very smooth and creamy and had a medium start and finish. Wood flavor dominated most of the cigar with an underlying sweetness. In the mix I experienced a dry cocoa, coffee, leather, and an occasional hint of something floral. About half way in I got a good amount of spice and the retrohale had a nice mild spice to it. Towards the end of the cigar I experienced some pepper. There was some good complexity to this cigar.

The burn stayed even and when it seemed like it was going to stray it corrected itself. A nice tight white ash with hints of gray hung on to the nub. I have smoked several cigars in this vitola and it is the one I prefer. Everything about it is pleasing to my smoking enjoyment. This is a wonderfully constructed cigar with great flavors and is a very satisfying cigar. When I started this cigar the sky had a few clouds and I was enjoying the cooler temperatures. Off in the distance I could see some really amazing lightning and eventually heard some rumbles of thunder. It seemed that as I was smoking I was drawing in the storms. By the time I was finished a downpour of rain started and the lightning was wicked looking and very close. I got to enjoy my cigar though and timed it just right. Feeling very satisfied as I go to my room to watch some NFL preseason.

The only issue I have with the cigar is the price. I tend to hover around $10 to $12 and above that a cigar brand tends to lose me. Did I like this cigar? Absolutely! I definitely want to try more and after smoking this one I want to go buy the other blends and try them. Since the price is a little high in my opinion I will probably go for the sampler that lets you try all five. Just like our preferences in cigars, pricing is subjective as well. I will pick up the sampler and on occasion maybe pick up a few of these. The flavors were great, the construction close to perfection, and I was left satisfied having enjoyed a wonderful medium cigar. If you feel like picking up a good cigar for a special occasion or just want to treat yourself give this a try. When comparing cigars in this price range I would pick this over any of the others.

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend.

More pictures here:http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...s-emerald.html
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default Re: La Aurora Preferidos Emerald

No idea how to make the pic smaller. Anyone know how?
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road
Default Re: La Aurora Preferidos Emerald

Any photo editing program should be able to make the picture smaller. Even Microsoft Paint (included with Windows) will work.
Hot Stuff x is offline   Reply With Quote