Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Pujols, I don't get it...

I still don't get it and say he's a d0uchebag. He's said how great STL is for so long and here are some quotes to prove it. Also some quotes where he talks about how humble he is:

"This is a great city to play. Anywhere you go, you're going to have great fans, but not like you have here in St. Louis. I've only played in St. Louis, I haven't played anywhere else, but even when the other teams come here they tell us, 'Man I can't believe how nice the fans are here.'"

“We’ve got the best fans in St. Louis. A lot of people want to come and play in St. Louis because of the way the fans treat us.”

“What motivates me more than money are God and my family.”

“As long as you don’t get caught up thinking you are better than the game, or you think that you’re better than everybody else, as long as you don’t get caught up in that, you’ll be fine, if you stay humble, you’re going to survive to play this game — if you stay healthy — for 15-20 years. That’s what I want to do. Stay humble before God. Stay humble before my teammates. And just have fun out there and play the game.”
5/29/2006

How is he being humble here when accepting an offer from a totally strange team for only about $4 million a year? How is he being loyal to the people he's led on for years? He's established a dynasty for himself in STL and now he throws it all away for a few dollars more. I could understand if he only played for them for a few years, but he gave 11 years of blood, sweat, and tears for the STL fans.

For the Reds fans here, at least Votto's been vague and dances around the question each time he's asked about the future. We know he's gonna go to the highest bidder (as long as it's not NY). But Pujols? He could have had so much more and it would have only cost him about $4 million a year. When you'r making $20 million a year anyways, $4 million isn't that big of a discount. It's not going to put him in a higher tax bracket for sure. He could have been the next Stan Musial, Derek Jeter, Lou Gherig, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Johnny Bench, etc... But no, he had to go for a few dollars more.

I could even see it being reasonable if he went to Miami for more money b/c like Griffey, it would be a slight bit closer to home, but why California? Nothing against California and the Angels, I just don't get Pujols' actions here. Total d0chebag move in my opinion.

People crucified Lebron last year, but there's little to no outrage over this, not even from STL fans. Yes, I know that Pujols didn't schedule a tv interview to announce his decision making process, but Lebron didn't establish a dynasty in Cleveland like Pujols has in STL. At least Lebron left for more money AND a chance to win a championship. Albert already has a couple of championships and the ability to get a few more where he was at, even without TLR.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pujols, I don't get it...

Ummmmm, $260 Million.

Enough said. Get real bro. I like Pujols. I like the Cardinals. But when someone throws what basically amounts to a $260 Million retirement plan at you... you gotta think about the future... not just here and now. The Card's couldnt make him an offer like that.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

To me it appears he's also thinking of the future by moving to the American League. Pretty clear that Pujols has potential DH written all over him.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

Enough said. Get real bro. I like Pujols. I like the Cardinals. But when someone throws what basically amounts to a $260 Million retirement plan at you... you gotta think about the future... not just here and now. The Card's couldnt make him an offer like that.
Which breaks down to an extra $4 million a year. If I made $25 million for 10 years, I'd glady give up $4 million a year to be an absolute legend.
Seriously, a $200 million retirment plan isn't enough. I need to get real? C'mon now.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

The Cards offer was less than 200 million.
The reports that they moved to 10yrs 220 mil were false.
So its more like 6million per.
Granted, it may only be a drop in the bucket to a 200 million dollar man, but it's still 60 million whichever way you slice it.
I think the DH was a huge factor as well, for both Albert and the club!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
The Cards offer was less than 200 million.
The reports that they moved to 10yrs 220 mil were false.
So its more like 6million per.
Granted, it may only be a drop in the bucket to a 200 million dollar man, but it's still 60 million whichever way you slice it.
I think the DH was a huge factor as well, for both Albert and the club!
You got a link that supports that? I've heard it reported numerous times today that it was between $200 and $210 million. I'm not sure about a no trade clause offer like the Angels offered.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
You got a link that supports that? I've heard it reported numerous times today that it was between $200 and $210 million.
I missed today's reports and you are correct.
The final offer was between 200 - 210
Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I missed today's reports and you are correct.
The final offer was between 200 - 210
It's ok. I thought I had bad info for a minute. Just wanted to make sure.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Ummmmm, $260 Million.

I'm with Jeremy on this one. He has two rings with the Cardinals. Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing. But when I stop and think about it...what would I do? While the Cardinals have a better chance at winning than my Mets do, it is still very hard to turn down that kind of money. He's only get this opportunity once in his life and he went with the money.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing.
Weren't you the one who thanked him for 9 great years?
Not sure Reyes left for more $, considering the Mets never made him an offer!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I'm with Jeremy on this one. He has two rings with the Cardinals. Jose Reyes just broke our hearts by doing the same thing. But when I stop and think about it...what would I do? While the Cardinals have a better chance at winning than my Mets do, it is still very hard to turn down that kind of money. He's only get this opportunity once in his life and he went with the money.
I see your point, Mac, but Reyes didn't establish a dynasty with the Mets like Pujols did. Pujols leaving STL is similar to if Jeter left the Yankees in 2001. Or Stan Musial leaving halfway in his tenure, or etc...
Plus, like Dom said, they never even made him an offer.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Weren't you the one who thanked him for 9 great years?
Not sure Reyes left for more $, considering the Mets never made him an offer!
I did thank him for nine great years...doesn't mean I wanted to see him leave. The Mets made it very clear that they were willing to go 5 years,$ 75-80 million...with an option for a 6th year. I cannot fault Jose for taking 6 years, $ 106 million and a chance to win now...because even I know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon with the Mets.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I did thank him for nine great years...doesn't mean I wanted to see him leave. The Mets made it very clear that they were willing to go 5 years,$ 75-80 million...with an option for a 6th year. I cannot fault Jose for taking 6 years, $ 106 million and a chance to win now...because even I know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon with the Mets.
I stand corrected. I didn't know they made him an offer.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
I see your point, Mac, but Reyes didn't establish a dynasty with the Mets like Pujols did. Pujols leaving STL is similar to if Jeter left the Yankees in 2001. Or Stan Musial leaving halfway in his tenure, or etc...
Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively) and to do that in one place (ala Tony Gywnn) is honorable. But in todays age of free agents and crazy-a$$ contracts...I KNOW I'd take the money. And by the way, Mets and the word dynasty hardly go together in the same sentence.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
They didn't "woo" him like the Marlins did (they contacted Jose at 12:01 the day free agency opened) ...and it cost us. And then alderson makes some dumba$$ comment about how he should have offered a box of chocolates.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
No they never made him an offer.
There were "discussions", between the Mets and his agent, but no offer was made.
FWIW Cashman had "discussions" with Reyes' agent and Pujols agent as well.
I think "discussions" are just standard operating procedure!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
No they never made him an offer.
There were "discussions", between the Mets and his agent, but no offer was made.
FWIW Cashman had "discussions" with Reyes' agent and Pujols agent as well.
I think "discussions" are just standard operating procedure!
Alderson made his agent an offer of 5 years, $ 75-80 million with an option for a 6th year (Peter Gammons doesn't lie). And less than 24 hours later, the Marins presented their offer (with a new stadium and warmer weather). And POOF...Reyes is no longer a Met.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively) and to do that in one place (ala Tony Gywnn) is honorable. But in todays age of free agents and crazy-a$$ contracts...I KNOW I'd take the money. And by the way, Mets and the word dynasty hardly go together in the same sentence.
You've always got the Miracle '69 team to look back on. Same with Cincinnati. I've always got the BRM from the 70s and the 90 team.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Very true Andy...Pujols has a chance to be the greatest to ever play the game (offensively)
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
When Albert hits more homeruns than other Teams in the league, ala the Babe, we can talk about that.
Although, with the Mets lineup, it's not as unrealistic as it sounds

FWIW
Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds all played for more than 1 team.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
You've always got the Miracle '69 team to look back on. Same with Cincinnati. I've always got the BRM from the 70s and the 90 team.
Let's not forget the 1986 team (Buckner ball).