Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #81
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: New York Yankees 2011

Yanks inked former Rays Closer Soriano to a three year deal to setup up Mo. Good sign, gives us the best on two punch at the end of the game by far. Too bad he can't start
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #82
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

It is needed after finding out that Pettitte will not be returning for 2011. Add in Logan, Joba & Robertson and they could shorten the game down to 6 innings.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #83
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I like the move, but I don't understand If they were going to pay 11+ million for a setup man, why not keep Kerry wood?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #84
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Because Soriano is better than Kerry Wood. Plus when Wood signed they still had hope for Pettitte in the rotation.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #85
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Because Soriano is better than Kerry Wood. Plus when Wood signed they still had hope for Pettitte in the rotation.
Exactly. Soriano is much better than Wood and younger too. Plus it gives us a proven closer if Mo decides to call it quits in three years.

So Yankee fans, think Mariano will pass Hoffman on the all time saves list this year?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #86
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

This year will be tight I think. As long as he stay's healthy I think he will do it on 2012.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #87
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Exactly. Soriano is much better than Wood and younger too. Plus it gives us a proven closer if Mo decides to call it quits in three years.

So Yankee fans, think Mariano will pass Hoffman on the all time saves list this year?
I understand Soriano is younger than Wood, but he proved himself here in NY.
Wood had a 1 year club option at 10 million. We have seen more than 1 closer come here in a setup role and be awful, ala Tom gordon, Kyle Farnsworth.

As for the saves thing, It's kind of like the who's the best HR hitter of all time question. The answer is obviously Babe Ruth even tho people have hit more HR than him.
Hoffman may have more saves but he has always been awful in a big spot and Mo is the better closer regardless of how many saves he has.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #88
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I understand Soriano is younger than Wood, but he proved himself here in NY.
Wood had a 1 year club option at 10 million. We have seen more than 1 closer come here in a setup role and be awful, ala Tom gordon, Kyle Farnsworth.

As for the saves thing, It's kind of like the who's the best HR hitter of all time question. The answer is obviously Babe Ruth even tho people have hit more HR than him.
Hoffman may have more saves but he has always been awful in a big spot and Mo is the better closer regardless of how many saves he has.
Soriano proved himself in the AL east, thats good enough for me. Remember Wood was struggling in Cleveland when we got him, he turned things around nicely in pinstripes. But he did struggle in the post season, he was too up and down. Soriano at least will have a higher trade value if he flounders in the environment given his track record.

As for all time best closer, there's no doubt in my mind it's Mo. But you still get a few lone Padre fans that point to Hoffmans record, overlooking how bad he was in the post season and the fact he had several more years pitching as a closer than Mo, and use it to try to put him in the same league. Hoffman was great and i'm sad to see him retire but he is a distant second to Rivera in terms of greatness
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #89
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

The Yankees avoided arbitration with 3 pitches today.

Phil Hughes goes from $447,000 in 2010 to $2.7M in 2011.
Joba Chamberlain goes from $487,975 in 2010 to $1.4M in 2011.
Boone Logan goes from $590,000 in 2010 to $1.2M in 2011.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #90
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
The Yankees avoided arbitration with 3 pitches today.

Phil Hughes goes from $447,000 in 2010 to $2.7M in 2011.
Joba Chamberlain goes from $487,975 in 2010 to $1.4M in 2011.
Boone Logan goes from $590,000 in 2010 to $1.2M in 2011.

Hughes? OK, I guess he earned it.

Joba? Hmmmm . . . OK, I guess they can afford it.

Logan? Uhhhhh . . . ask me again come July or August, OK?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #91
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Logan was excellent last year. Baseball contract history shows that you get paid for what you did yesterday.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #92
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Logan was excellent last year. Baseball contract history shows that you get paid for what you did yesterday.
He had a decent season but he got knocked around in the post season. Dunno if he was worth it.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #93
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
He had a decent season but he got knocked around in the post season. Dunno if he was worth it.
He did fine against the Twins, it was Texas that did him in and he was not alone as all the Yankees pitchers got knocked around by the Rangers.

2010 was the best season of his short career. Hopefully he will have some lefty help in the bullpen this year also.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #94
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Logan was excellent last year.
I guess his ERA and BAA were pretty good (2.93 & .231). However, he only pitched 40 total innings, which would mean his "yesterday" earns him $10,000 per out "tomorrow". Plus, he's a righty. Plus plus, his ERAs in four previous "yesterdays" were 5.19 (2009), 5.95 ('08), 4.97 ('07), and . . gulp! . . . 8.31 ('06).

Which is why I said see me after the All Star Break, and not "We wuz robbed!"
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #95
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Logan is a lefty.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #96
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Logan is a lefty.
My bad. He bats right.

Or so they say. From what I can find, he's yet to have a hit, so who would know for sure?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #97
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

That's fine with me. I don't like pitchers batting or runnign the bases. Remember Wang.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #98
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
That's fine with me. I don't like pitchers batting or runnign the bases. Remember Wang.
I sure do. And what I remember is that damn stupid 3rd base coach waving him around in a game where we already had a big lead.

Who was that dumb bozo, and why wasn't he fired immediately?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #99
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I sure do. And what I remember is that damn stupid 3rd base coach waving him around in a game where we already had a big lead.

Who was that dumb bozo, and why wasn't he fired immediately?
I think it was Larry Bowa
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #100
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
I think it was Larry Bowa
He was in LA with Torre in 2008. I can't remember who the 3rd base coach was.