Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a Handgun
Springfield XD 8 14.04%
Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm 9 15.79%
Glock 17 26 45.61%
Other 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #41
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice
Default Re: Opinion on these Handguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Before I carried, I had a 357 Magnum for home defense.

Once I started carrying, it wasn't practical to carry such a large gun and being a revolver fan, the Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight 38 was a perfect fit for my small frame body.

I know it's only 5 shots, but if I need more, I am in a prolonged gunfight and nothing will probably help.

There is no comparing the reliability
Very true Pete, I like to carry my SW airweight off duty...its light weight and easy to carry in your pocket.....agreed, if it takes more than 5 shots, then your Fu**ed...
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #42
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Agreed. Anything more than a few shots and you'd better have the AK or AR nearby because it's going to be a battle.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #43
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
I agree to shoot some and find out what one you like, but I can't advocate the use of a 1911 as a self defense weapon, yes they are sexy and lots of fun to shoot, but I have seen far to many of them goes toes up on the range under optimal conditions, I still don't know why some of my co-workers choose to carry those things. My .02
The US government issued them as the standard sidearm for all branches of the military for 75 years (1911-1985).

Infact, the 1911 was put through rigorous testing before it was selected:

Quote:
http://m1911.org/full_history.htm

A torture test was conducted, on March 3rd, 1911. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds. One hundred shots would be fired and the pistol would be allowed to cool for 5 minutes. After every 1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled. After firing those 6000 rounds, the pistol would be tested with deformed cartridges, some seated too deeply, some not seated enough, etc. The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud and some more tests would then be conducted.

Browning's pistols passed the whole test series with flying colors. It was the first firearm to undergo such a test, firing continuously 6000 cartridges, a record broken only in 1917 when Browning's recoil-operated machine gun fired a 40000 rounds test.
IMO there is nothing wrong with the 1911 design. There have been improvements to them over the past century, but the basic design is still the same.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #44
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
The US government issued them as the standard sidearm for all branches of the military for 75 years (1911-1985).

Infact, the 1911 was put through rigorous testing before it was selected:

IMO there is nothing wrong with the 1911 design. There have been improvements to them over the past century, but the basic design is still the same.
Yeah, they have a great history and don't get me wrong I really like 1911's. My hang up is that some are very finicky i.e some like to be dry, some very oiled, some clean, some dirty. Awesome gun to shoot and have fun with, just that I have seen way to many go bang once and then stop working and have to be fiddled with to get back into action, I would save my 1911's for the range on the weekends and go M&P or Glock for everyday carry.

And remember military contracts usually go to the lowest bidder
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #45
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

P.S the Browning 1911 is now Utah's official state gun.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #46
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue View Post
Very true Pete, I like to carry my SW airweight off duty...its light weight and easy to carry in your pocket.....agreed, if it takes more than 5 shots, then your Fu**ed...
You're not the only LEO I have heard make this statement and carry a 38 off duty.

My brother in Jersey is a Leuitenant, and feels that they are the best choice.

I spend most of my time in cargo shorts and find it perfect in my front pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

I added Crimson trace laser grips not long after buying it so a relatively inexpensive handgun became not so inexpensive.

I had a Kel Tec P11 for a short time but found it to be the biggest piece of junk, although many LEO carry it due to it's compact frame.

It all boils down to personal preference, but after a lot of trial and error, a 38 in the pocket and a Mossberg in the house has me feeling somewhat secure.

The Smith and Wesson scanduim 357 360 model caught my eye, but shooting 357s in a small frame left my hand throbbing to the point that I would never practice, and I feel a 38 plus p round has plenty of stopping power with 4 behind it to be certain.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #47
kickerb

Glock, I owned an XD, well actually the XDm. I didnt like it all. I own 2 Glocks. 19 and 23 Gen4
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #48
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

The only real downside to 1911's as far as concealed carry is that they are a bit heavy.

Other than that a GOOD 1911 won't fail. I still personally would cycle 500-700 rounds through it to break it in real good before carrying it as a defense weapon.

I've never shot better with any other pistol, the 1911 is perfect.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
You're not the only LEO I have heard make this statement and carry a 38 off duty.

My brother in Jersey is a Leuitenant, and feels that they are the best choice.

I spend most of my time in cargo shorts and find it perfect in my front pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

I added Crimson trace laser grips not long after buying it so a relatively inexpensive handgun became not so inexpensive.

I had a Kel Tec P11 for a short time but found it to be the biggest piece of junk, although many LEO carry it due to it's compact frame.

It all boils down to personal preference, but after a lot of trial and error, a 38 in the pocket and a Mossberg in the house has me feeling somewhat secure.
+1 I have a S&W Airweight .38, I am a cargo shorts guy and hate tightening my belt enough to carry on my hip or inside the waist, throw that little sucker in a pocket and good to go.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
The only real downside to 1911's as far as concealed carry is that they are a bit heavy.

Other than that a GOOD 1911 won't fail. I still personally would cycle 500-700 rounds through it to break it in real good before carrying it as a defense weapon.

I've never shot better with any other pistol, the 1911 is perfect.
I'm with you 100%. A lot of the negative feedback people post about 1911s is when they are brand new. People buy them, walk directly to the range (inside the shop they bought it at) and shoot. Expect some issues. You should clean and oil all new guns before shooting them. Some manufacturers ship relatively dry, others with packing grease (little or a lot), others with an average amount of oil. That kind of variance will affect your first impression big time. I know Kimber ships bone-dry. Don't shoot them out of the box, you have to clean and oil them first.

That said, I love my BIL Kimber Pro-Carry. It's 25 oz, 4.25 inch barrel, with an aluminum alloy frame stainless slide, and tritum 3-dot night-sights. That's 13 oz less than my full size all stainless Custom II, all with the same full size grip.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #51
spooble
Palmetto State Herf Crew

First Name: Chad
Trading: (58)
ERdM
spooble will become famous soon enough

I'm not a Glock fanboy, but I have a G23c that I like a lot. I'm a slim guy and it carries well in my Crossbreed Supertuck.
spooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #52
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I dont mean to stir the pot or get anyone angry, but you asked for opinions. I would not carry a Glock if you gave it to me. I am past law enforcement, now a Firefighter. I have seen one Glock slide come off its frame while being fired and the local police department here recalled all Glocks from there officers after having 2 trigger assemblies come apart during qualifying. For concealment I would recommend the Ruger SP101, 5 shot 357 revolver. Less to think about in a bad situation, just aim and pull trigger.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #53
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I'm putting a vote for other. I love my Sig 239 for CCW. If you are in the market for a full size gun, they have that as well. Love all the Sigs I have ever fired.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #54
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
I'm putting a vote for other. I love my Sig 239 for CCW. If you are in the market for a full size gun, they have that as well. Love all the Sigs I have ever fired.
For a full size auto, I agree. Sig makes one awesome gun.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #55
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Guns are just like cigars. Each will feel right in a different persons hand. I know a lot of the 1911 issues are ammo related. Once you start tightening up the tolerances on that platform for better accuracy it gets to be a very picky eater in my opinion. I love my Sig 226 as much as my colt commander. Got an 4in XD in 9mm about 6 months ago. I have a glock 19 I am waiting to get the grip reduced on. Depending on what I am doing and wearing will really play a huge part in which tool I grab. The most important part is find one you like to shoot and that fits well. Then get a good belt and holster and start shooting.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #56
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I was taking a pistol class and all the instructors were using Glock 21s. They gave me and the two other guys with 1911s crap about them joking around about their unreliability. Three guns had a malfunction that day. None were a 1911. And I was running hollow points through mine cause that's all the ammo I had at the time.

But truthfully, my under the pillow gun is my Glock 23. Has thousands of rounds through it and has never had a hiccup.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #57
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
I agree to shoot some and find out what one you like, but I can't advocate the use of a 1911 as a self defense weapon, yes they are sexy and lots of fun to shoot, but I have seen far to many of them goes toes up on the range under optimal conditions, I still don't know why some of my co-workers choose to carry those things. My .02
It depends on what kind of 1911 though.....If it was a cheapie...might be the reason. Also did said guns FTF before 500 rounds? Gotta break them in.

IMO the sights on a 1911 shoot truer and have (to me at least) proven to be more accurate then any other gun I've shot. I've probably shot somewhere around ~20 different handguns.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #58
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I know I don't get a lot of people who agree with me but I continue to vote support for the HK P2000. Ive carried it for a year and a half now for work and have over 5k rounds through it and have had maybe 2 hickups at the range.