Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Killian
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cassidy
Trading: (0)
Killian is on a distinguished road
Default Another winter RH question...

I know there are several posts about this on here but I have a question. I got back from Vegas on Sunday to find the RH in my desktop had dropped to 58. I have shiala beads and obviously they have dried out. My question is, what is the best way (for both the beads and sticks) to reintroduce moisture? If I use a wet sponge will that work too fast and split my sticks? Should I place a small cup of water in there and let it go?
Thanks for your help.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another winter RH question...

Check out the site... there are instructions right here.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Same thing happened to me. I have a Bally II, and I think the cheap plastic hygrometer embedded in the wood is the source for much leakage, especially in the winter. My RH dropped to 57%, so I took out the shilala beads, put them in a ziploc w/ my digital hygro & a folded papertowel soaked with distilled water. Let it all sit overnight, took out the papertowel, let the beads sit and now they're back at 67% which is perfect for me.

I have a love/hate relationship with my humidor. I mostly hate it 7 months out of the year. gl with yours!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with my humidor. I mostly hate it 7 months out of the year. gl with yours!

That is why I also have a cooler.....I checked it every few weeks when I first got it and the RH was the same.....now I check it maybe every 6 weeks and I have yet to see the RH move. **knock on wood**
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post

That is why I also have a cooler.....I checked it every few weeks when I first got it and the RH was the same.....now I check it maybe every 6 weeks and I have yet to see the RH move. **knock on wood**
Yep! I moved all the cigars out of my Bally and into my cooler when I recalibrated the beads. Will try to do a little humidor repair & resealing over the holiday.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
I know there are several posts about this on here but I have a question. I got back from Vegas on Sunday to find the RH in my desktop had dropped to 58. I have shiala beads and obviously they have dried out. My question is, what is the best way (for both the beads and sticks) to reintroduce moisture? If I use a wet sponge will that work too fast and split my sticks? Should I place a small cup of water in there and let it go?
Thanks for your help.
People have answered about the beads, so I will focus on the sticks. To avoid any splitting raise the RH in your humi slowly. Putting in recharged beads would be fine, but I would not throw a damp sponge or anything will a lot of moisture in with the cigars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Killian
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cassidy
Trading: (0)
Killian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
People have answered about the beads, so I will focus on the sticks. To avoid any splitting raise the RH in your humi slowly. Putting in recharged beads would be fine, but I would not throw a damp sponge or anything will a lot of moisture in with the cigars.
This is what I was concerned about. Thanks.
I can tell already that it is going to be a chore this winter keeping that thing in a decent range.
I wonder if the wife will spring for some beads and cooler for Christmas??? Hmmmmmmm....
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I just add a credo humidifier back into the humi. slow release of moisture everywhere. Works just fine for me, and is a gradual change. When it gets where I want it, I remove the credo.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

For me this is just the problem with desktops in general. The RH always goes down...

Coolers are the way to go. Mine is Rock solid 64 RH for the past 2.5 months.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I hear ya, Bill. I've not been able to keep a steady rh in a desktop. But I do open them a couple times a day at least.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

also difference between winter and summer....in summer i use about a gallon of distilled water in my moistenaire every month and humidity holds...in winter it is about a gallon/wk have to check it more often....cold saps humidity
Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yea mine gets opened MAYBE once a day for sure once every 2 days but ....just disappointed. I cannot believe how awesome coolers are. Every time I open it 64 RH, without fail. Also I got 120 quarts of storage for half the price of a desktop with 300 count that is maybe 200.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote