Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Dry boxing?

So I cut a cigar earlier and the draw was a bit too tight for me usually when i try to draw and my cheeks collapse i know the stick is going to frustrate me. I was going to try dry boxing the stick, but my coolidor sits at 69rh, and when i open it to look around or rearrange my sticks it jumps to 74 or 75, I don't think that it would qualify as "dry" boxing if i just left them out. I use bovedas but they only go to 65% and I don't think that would qualify either.

I think I'm going to have to actually make a dry box, but I'm not sure what RH to go down to or how to get it there. Anyone else have this problem and how would you recommend I go about this?
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dry boxing?

i would dry box. whats the worse that could happen

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I agree, I'm just not sure how to go about it when the humidity in my house is higher than in my humidor.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I use an old cedar cigar box with no humidification at all if I feel dry boxing will help.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
I use an old cedar cigar box with no humidification at all if I feel dry boxing will help.
good thinking

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You want to drybox in something that will absorb moisture and also seals well. An old (wooden) cigar box inside a ziplock bag or tupperware container should work well for you in your high humidity environment.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
So I cut a cigar earlier and the draw was a bit too tight for me usually when i try to draw and my cheeks collapse i know the stick is going to frustrate me. I was going to try dry boxing the stick, but my coolidor sits at 69rh, and when i open it to look around or rearrange my sticks it jumps to 74 or 75, I don't think that it would qualify as "dry" boxing if i just left them out. I use bovedas but they only go to 65% and I don't think that would qualify either.

I think I'm going to have to actually make a dry box, but I'm not sure what RH to go down to or how to get it there. Anyone else have this problem and how would you recommend I go about this?
Whenever I open my cooler, my RH drops.....It must be Hawaii?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
Whenever I open my cooler, my RH drops.....It must be Hawaii?
The humidity tends to be pretty high here, my fear is that even a cedar box will just go to ambient humidity, since it will have been sitting around absorbing moisture in my house. Which would mean I'm actually wet boxing my cigars. I'll do a test with one of my hygrometers and see what develops.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
thecatch83

Quote:
The humidity tends to be pretty high here, my fear is that even a cedar box will just go to ambient humidity, since it will have been sitting around absorbing moisture in my house. Which would mean I'm actually wet boxing my cigars. I'll do a test with one of my hygrometers and see what develops.
You might want to try dropping your levels to around 60% with beads or the BOV packets.....from my experience with higher ambient humidity, cigars smoke significantly better, and you wouldn't have to worry about dry boxing!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I like to leave it out on the counter for two days. BUT sometimes that kills too much moisture.
And right NOW, and during the summer, sometimes it take ON moisture. Hard to go wrong with
the empty cedar box plan, have used it a lot.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
LigaPrivadaT84

I have a few extra smaller humidors that I use for dryboxing. Used to buy one every year when CI has their humidor plus smokes for $20 deal. Much fewer split wrappers since the humidity around here is usually less than 20%. For your situation, they have humipacks set at much lower Rh (45% for guitars) that you could toss in as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I think it would be pretty much impossible for you to dry box in your environment, everything in your house is around 70-80% already, so your humidors are probably already seasoned just from being in the humidified ambient environment for so long.

Unless you can buy a small dehumidifier and place your cigar near it, maybe that would work.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
trendo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Troy
Trading: (16)
trendo is on a distinguished road

Hi Isaiah, the rh in my house is usualy around 75, and my coolers are at 67. If I have something that is too wet, I clip the end and let it sit in the cooler for another week. You can also buy a small amount of 60% beads and have a seperate tupperware for the sticks you are trying to dry. Personaly, I find that nothing smokes well ROTT after being shipped to hawaii. I usualy keep my recent purchases in a coolidor which does not get opened very often, and after about a month they are dry enough to smoke.
trendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I've actually had decent luck with the shipped ones, it's the b&m ones that are always a bear to smoke, relights, tight draws, and whatnot, I'm definately going to buy some low RH beands and commit a humidor to dry boxing.

I'm fighting with a viaje tnt as we speak, got it from toh and if the sumbich goes out one more time I'm gonna throw it out the window. I'm having to smoke it a bit fast to keep it lit and it is kicking my ass. If it wasn't so delicious I'd have pitched it already. Never should have started it with only 2 days in the humidor, but couldn't resist.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
IndyRob
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
IndyRob is on a distinguished road

I totally entered this thread with the wrong intentions, but I have learned some good tips. Thanks for keeping me honest.
IndyRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

I know of a couple of BOTL's in Hawaii that use damprid in their coolers. It works for them with no ill effects.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've actually had decent luck with the shipped ones, it's the b&m ones that are always a bear to smoke, relights, tight draws, and whatnot, I'm definately going to buy some low RH beands and commit a humidor to dry boxing.

I'm fighting with a viaje tnt as we speak, got it from toh and if the sumbich goes out one more time I'm gonna throw it out the window. I'm having to smoke it a bit fast to keep it lit and it is kicking my ass. If it wasn't so delicious I'd have pitched it already. Never should have started it with only 2 days in the humidor, but couldn't resist.
I would say since you live in a high humidity environment that you use a hair dryer to dry your low RH beads out and then only add a small splash of distilled water to them. You're beads will soak up enough RH just from the ambient environment and should make it easier to dry box if they are not already wet.

Of course,I am just guessing, this is just what I would do... It's 20% humidity this time of year here, so it's pretty easy to drybox. lol
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Anything wrong with throwing the stick in the refrigerator, with or without a box? I would imagine that should be a much drier environment and would work in a pinch.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I've not tried this because I haven't had the need, but with the ambient RH that high, perhaps a small humidor (good seal) and a couple of those small silica gel humidity absorbers would make a nice dry box?

Just did a quick search and found these:

http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-Ge.../dp/B006LMDBS4

I honestly have no idea how quickly they would suck the humidity out of a cigar, but instead of leaving in there over night, if it works too quickly maybe just leave it in there a few hours. Might take some experimenting.

Seems like building a separate 60% humidor wouldn't really dry box them and stabilize them quick enough to get the "overnight" dry box effect.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Putting them in the fridge has crossed my mind, I'm a little afraid of them picking up weird flavors though. I'm also a bit afraid of just using dessicant gel because I don't want to turn them into kindling.

So far I'm on the fence about it but considering a 50% or so humi.