Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
naamanf
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Naaman
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
naamanf is on a distinguished road
Default Joe Cigar Selling Seconds?

I have been purchase a decent amount of cigars recently from CI's Joe Cigar to build up my deployment collection. I just received some Decade Toros that just don't look right. I have a box of the torpedoes at home and the quality on these just don't look to be the same caliber. Plus the wrapper seems to be dyed to make it darker, when I wet it a bit it rubs off brown. The box I have definitely didn't do this. I have not had the chance to smoke one yet thought.

So this leads me to wonder if CI is putting labels on seconds and selling them as first on JC?
naamanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Joe Cigar Selling Seconds?

I hope not, I have placed 2 orders with them and everything was alright. I would contact them and see if they will set it right. Good luck brother.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

It would be a lie if I said that this question has never come up before on both message boards and in personal conversations with other smokers. You are not alone in wondering this same thing.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

wow, this is Fd up if theyre doing this......definitely call them if you haven't already....I have seen dye rubbed of a OWR Maduro like I have seen on no other cigar before....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

It may be my imagination, but quite a few cigars I've gotten from JC seem inconsistent when compared to the same cigar, which I've bought elsewhere.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
naamanf
Just in from the Storm

Army (Active)

Well at least it isn't just me then. I don't think all of them are seconds but would seem like some are. I think to be safe from now on I will just stick with CB and purchase boxes when I am looking to save a bit of cash on NCs.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

IT's CI....i stopped trusting anything from them many moons ago.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
DropTheE
Loves Wolfgang Guitars!!

First Name: Dan
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
DropTheE has a spectacular aura aboutDropTheE has a spectacular aura about

Not really a seconds thing but I have noticed that their shipping is all messed up and they are falling behind in customer service. I ordered some Camachos that were in stock two weeks ago and still have note received them. They told me that they are lost in their new warehouse and they can't find them. They tripled the order at no charge but I am still waiting on my sticks. I told them that until that I receive my order, I am giving my business to other companies that can deliver product.

Bring it to their attention, they make enough money that they should be backing up their stuff, if they can't then they should not be getting business.
Service and quality are very important to me.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
naamanf
Just in from the Storm

Army (Active)

I just sent their customer service a WTF so we will see what they have to say.

They all have a funky caps that just don't look fitting of a top end cigar. Plus I am no expert but I don't think the brown from the maduro should come off onto your hands. The wrapper just has a fake brown color to it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Could it be that RP's QC is slipping, or are the Decades you've sourced from other vendors recently been much better? I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on CI. Sometimes, if you're paying a big discount for samplers, there's a reason they're discounted. They may not be seconds per se, but CI could feasably buy boxes or cases of cigars that other vendors passed up, it happens all the time with CC vendors. Also, it could be that CI has a deal with certain producers where they buy up unboxed bundles of uglies that aren't quite "seconds" but didn't make it into boxes. Something has got to explain why some of their samplers are so far below MSRP.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Like I mentioned before this question has come up in the past, plus you also have the Rocky factor involved too which I do not trust the quality of his sticks too much either these days.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I picked up one of their deals a while back. Out of the 3 sticks I've smoked from it, 2 have been totally plugged and unsmokable. That's the same number of plugged sticks that I've had total from all the other one's I've had. They sat in my humidor for 3 weeks before I tried the first one, so they should have had time to settle down from shipping. It makes me hesitant to order from them again.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
apNgb

I haven't ordered from CI in quite some time. The whole Devil's Weed thing chafed my buns. But I don't think CI is that stupid to put thier business on the line by selling seconds as firsts.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #14
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
I picked up one of their deals a while back. Out of the 3 sticks I've smoked from it, 2 have been totally plugged and unsmokable. That's the same number of plugged sticks that I've had total from all the other one's I've had. They sat in my humidor for 3 weeks before I tried the first one, so they should have had time to settle down from shipping. It makes me hesitant to order from them again.
CI sticks are very wet. They do need a good deal of time in the humidor first. Seems like risky policy if there are seconds.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
Trouble

Not sure about CI but Cbid sells damaged cigars. I bought a lot of cigars on Cbid and some of the boxes would be opened and resealed with a sticker that said "opened for inspection". Everyone that was "opened for inspection" was filled with damaged cigars. It was like they took all the returns for cracked wrapper or stems breaking through the wrapper and put them into one box and sent it out hoping someone would not want to take the time to return it. I stopped doing business with Cbid, CI and all affiliated companies.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Is this the B&M vs online question all over again??
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #17
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Couldn't tell ya for sure (does look a bit odd though), but keep in mind Rocky's stuff has changed considerably over the last 2-3 years. The original releases of OWR, Decades, etc, look and taste different from the newer ones I have found

aj
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naamanf View Post
Plus I am no expert but I don't think the brown from the maduro should come off onto your hands. The wrapper just has a fake brown color to it.

Thats because RP dyes their wrappers.....
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Is this the B&M vs online question all over again??
Pretty much.

There is a 98.2% chance that Legend is getting a chubby over this crap.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Not sure about CI but Cbid sells damaged cigars. I bought a lot of cigars on Cbid and some of the boxes would be opened and resealed with a sticker that said "opened for inspection". Everyone that was "opened for inspection" was filled with damaged cigars. It was like they took all the returns for cracked wrapper or stems breaking through the wrapper and put them into one box and sent it out hoping someone would not want to take the time to return it. I stopped doing business with Cbid, CI and all affiliated companies.
I hope this isn't right, cause I have a box in the mail coming from Cbid... I recently ordered this: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...KASST21&cat=19 from CI and everything came in wonderful shape, but I realize the daily deals and auctions might be different.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote