Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Drat

Default Question for an electrician - HELP!

I haven't been around here much lately, but I have a good reason...

We bought a house. An old house. A 90 year old house...

I've been spending every last minute of my waking time on this place with very little time for the simple pleasures in life (beer and cigars).

I'm a pretty handy person, but when it comes to electricity, I'm riding the short-bus.

So on to my question:

We've been tripping two of the breakers very often. One seems to control all of the 2nd floor and attic room along with the bathroom and laundry room. The other seems to control all of the outlets along one wall, which is where our toaster over and microwave are. I've figured out what all all of the breakers go to except 2. So we might have 2 open, but I doubt it (will probably do some testing this weekend). We've been running electric heaters due to insufficient insulation (another project I'm working on) and hate having to go the the basement crawl space to reset the breaker.

Anyway, what are the options for cheaply fixing our issue of having too many outlets connected through one breaker?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question for an electrician - HELP!

Sounds like your amps are too much for the breaker...A couple of things you need to find out:

1. do you have modern circuit breakers or fuses. If the latter I cannot help
2. do you have a 100 amp or 200 amp circuit breaker
3. Add up all your breakers and make sure they do not go over the total amps for your service.
4. If you have free breakers, move a few of the items to those breakers.
5. If you do not have, try to balance out the load a little..
6. Balance by taking high amp items (toaster over, microwave) and splitting them onto breakers that do not have as much of a load. Keeping in mind that a 10 amp breaker cannot take as much as a 20 amp (I know duh)

If you only have a 100 amp service, consider upgrading to a 200 amp service. can be done on your own for what 1000-2000 including all materials? Someone may have a better cost estimate.

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat View Post
I haven't been around here much lately, but I have a good reason...

We bought a house. An old house. A 90 year old house...

I've been spending every last minute of my waking time on this place with very little time for the simple pleasures in life (beer and cigars).

I'm a pretty handy person, but when it comes to electricity, I'm riding the short-bus.

So on to my question:

We've been tripping two of the breakers very often. One seems to control all of the 2nd floor and attic room along with the bathroom and laundry room. The other seems to control all of the outlets along one wall, which is where our toaster over and microwave are. I've figured out what all all of the breakers go to except 2. So we might have 2 open, but I doubt it (will probably do some testing this weekend). We've been running electric heaters due to insufficient insulation (another project I'm working on) and hate having to go the the basement crawl space to reset the breaker.

Anyway, what are the options for cheaply fixing our issue of having too many outlets connected through one breaker?
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Drat

Thanks for the quick reply. I did my best to address a few of the points you made below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Sounds like your amps are too much for the breaker...A couple of things you need to find out:

1. do you have modern circuit breakers or fuses. breakers
2. do you have a 100 amp or 200 amp circuit breaker 200
3. Add up all your breakers and make sure they do not go over the total amps for your service. gah? there are 5 breakers on the right side of the box that range from BR130-BR115. There's the main that looks like it says BR2000. We have a 220v outlet for an air conditioner that has it's own breaker and some others that I couldn't see well for the boiler and the outside lights etc.
4. If you have free breakers, move a few of the items to those breakers. I wouldn't know the first step in doing this, but would this be an easy thing for somebody who does?
5. If you do not have, try to balance out the load a little..once again, not anywhere near my level of understanding. Is it easy to tell what outlet goes to what wire?
6. Balance by taking high amp items (toaster over, microwave) and splitting them onto breakers that do not have as much of a load. Keeping in mind that a 10 amp breaker cannot take as much as a 20 amp (I know duh)

If you only have a 100 amp service, consider upgrading to a 200 amp service. can be done on your own for what 1000-2000 including all materials? Someone may have a better cost estimate.

Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I did my best to address a few of the points you made below:

Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post

there are 5 breakers on the right side of the box that range from BR130-BR115. There's the main that looks like it says BR2000.
the BR 115 is a 15 amp breaker, the Br130 is a 30 amp breaker. The 30 amp is good for items that draw a lot of current like microwaves, heaters, toaster ovens. It will depend on what the items uses for amperage as to how many you can put on that breaker. The 15 am should be for outlets and lower amp stuff that plugs into them. Typically this is not needed but you are having issues with breakers tripping so they are becoming overloaded and you need to find it you can manage what you have better

The balance comes from mapping what goes to each breaker, determining what amperage each item uses (internet search or owners manual) and arranging them so they are all placed to utilize the available amperage without overloading them.

The Br2000 - I could not find any information, could it be a BR 2020 (twin pole 20 amp 120/240v)

Quote:
We have a 220v outlet for an air conditioner that has it's own breaker and some others that I couldn't see well for the boiler and the outside lights etc.
4. If you have free breakers, move a few of the items to those breakers. I wouldn't know the first step in doing this, but would this be an easy thing for somebody who does?
very easy, once the wires are identified, unscrew them from the breaker and move them to the other breaker. You can shut off one of the mains if you feel uncomfortable doing this while it is energized.

Quote:
5. If you do not have, try to balance out the load a little..once again, not anywhere near my level of understanding. Is it easy to tell what outlet goes to what wire?
They sell equipment (cheap) that you can plug into the outlet and then it will emit a signal that you can trace at the breaker box. Or you can pop the breaker off and see what does not run any more. If more than one item on that breaker, replace one at a time, turn on the breaker, lable the wires, and repeat until you know what they all are.

also try reading this and see if it helps at all...http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...it-breaker.htm
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Drat

Thank you so much! I'm going to open the box up this weekend and poke around. I hope it's 1/4 as easy as you make it sound.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you so much! I'm going to open the box up this weekend and poke around. I hope it's 1/4 as easy as you make it sound.
It really is super easy.
That said, don't mess with it. Take pics and have the guys look at it.
On top of load, you have to consider wire weight, or the type/size of wire pulled throughout the house. For some reason, nowadays they pull 14 and 16 guage wire in houses, or have in the past. Why anyone would do that is beyond me, because it saves about 5 bucks on a job, but it happens.
Odds are that your overloaded circuit is tripping because of wire size and not overload at the breaker.
The best way to take care of it is to move the heaters off that circuit with the microwave and heavy load stuff.
I wired this whole house when I remodeled it about 10 years ago. I pulled 12 wire everywhere. Despite that, I overload this circuit where my computer, fish tank, microwave and a million other things are. I put the dining room on the same circuit as the kitchen because I have an old breaker box with discontinued super expensive breakers.
It was a good idea until I moved in here and plugged the whole world into one circuit.
Just blew the breaker yesterday while I was warming my coffee in the microwave and had a space heater plugged in at my desk. The space heater is just one appliance too much.
Your other (maybe not so) obvious option is to unplug the microwave. That way you'll know to turn off the heater before you use it, and no more crawling under the house.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Served With Honor)

Scott knows what he is talking about.....forgot all about the type of wire........
Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

As Scott has indicated this is certainly something that you can do, especially with the help of some BOTLs. Having said that, electricity can really F--- you over, so you might want to have an electrician come out and give you an estimate.

They have all of the tools and skills to make short work of your problem -- they see this kind of thing all the time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Before you do any work research and abide by your local building codes.

For example:

Chapter 56 Dallas Electrical Code

Quote:
The 2008 National Electrical Code is amended by adding a new Article 81, entitled "General Provisions," to read as follows:

81.3 Performance of Electrical Work by Homeowner.

(A) Electrical Work on Homestead Premises. A homeowner may personally install electrical conductors or equipment on homestead premises owned and occupied by the owner if the owner files approved plans and specifications with the chief electrical code administrator, satisfies the chief electrical code administrator or the assigned electrical inspector, as to the owner's ability to install electrical wiring by passing an approved written or oral examination, applies for and secures a permit where required, pays required fees, and does work in accordance with this Code and the provisions of Chapter 52 of the Dallas City Code.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Before you do any work research and abide by your local building codes.

You do something wrong and there is a problem down the road, god forbid, your home owners insurance could decline the claim if everything isn't up to code.

Anything more than rewiring an outlet or a switch I call a pro.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Don't forget, even if you turn the main off, you'll still have hot wires in the panel. You really shouldn't mess with electricity if you don't have an idea of what you're doing.

How many space heaters are you running on the second floor?

Since it sounds like your house has been rewired, you should have at least two small appliance circuits in the kitchen.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

Balancing loads is not nearly as simple as it sounds when you consider that most, if not all, of your circuits are likely daisy-chained from a single wire coming off of each breaker. As such balancing loads will require fishing new wires through the walls, tearing out walls, and other messy stuff.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Balancing loads is not nearly as simple as it sounds when you consider that most, if not all, of your circuits are likely daisy-chained from a single wire coming off of each breaker. As such balancing loads will require fishing new wires through the walls, tearing out walls, and other messy stuff.

I just unplugged my heater. Problem solved.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

I just unplugged my heater. Problem solved.
Of course there is always the less-than-elegant approach of balancing loads using extension cords
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Of course there is always the less-than-elegant approach of balancing loads using extension cords
Or burning the house down...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Or burning the house down...
This is true, it's only as safe as you make it. I have at times made my own extension cords out of #12 Romex
Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
This is true, it's only as safe as you make it. I have at times made my own extension cords out of #12 Romex
I didn't think the methodology was crude at all, brother. It works great. Saves grief, too.
I was suggesting that burning the house down might just be easier.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
I didn't think the methodology was crude at all, brother. It works great. Saves grief, too.
I was suggesting that burning the house down might just be easier.
I didn't think of that, but it certainly does solve the wiring problems.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Unless you have a clue as to what you are doing call a licensed Electrician. Check around, check the BBB etc.
No need to become a statistic.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Drat

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that in this house it is anything but easy to figure out what the hell is going on. The kitchen is actually an addition built some 20 years after the house, and certainly wasn't built to code (the 5 inch sloping floors are the first clue).

There are very few outlets in the house. Based upon that I was thinking that it could be pretty straight forward, but it seems that the two breakers that overload control just about everything we have plugged in. The microwave/toaster aren't on the same breaker as the heaters. My computer, tv, video games, etc are on that one.

The heaters all seem to be on the same one though. We have two small and two large heaters (don't remember their amperage, but they do the job). We try not to have more than 2 on at any given time, but if two are on, and then the refrigerator cycles or something, we trip the breaker. Ideally I'd want to rewire the house with a larger box to spread them out more, but I don't have the couple of thousand dollars to do that, let alone the time and $$ to redo most of the interior walls.

I wish there were a quick/cheap solution, but alas, there never seems to be.

Thanks for all the help guys!