Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MOLD!!! Help!!

Not to hijack, but . . .

Why do Anejo's mold more easily than other cigars wrapped in cedar?
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
I would get some DampRid. I use it in my Aristocrat sometimes to bring the humidity down, here is S. Florida. Bob Staebell actually recommended it.

I agree that I would try this stuff.

The beads won't do a damn thing to lower the humidity. They never have and never will. It's a mistake to rely on them when the conditions are as you describe.

Use the Damp Rid to lower it and then the beads can help bring it back to where it should be.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #23
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbreath View Post
Not to hijack, but . . .

probably because the tobacco was more moist when it was rolled.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I agree that I would try this stuff.

The beads won't do a damn thing to lower the humidity. They never have and never will. It's a mistake to rely on them when the conditions are as you describe.

Use the Damp Rid to lower it and then the beads can help bring it back to where it should be.
I was under the impression that shilala bead's absorbed and released humidity.. Maybe you aren't using enough beads for your humi?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My outside humidor was up to about 70%.
I stuck the whole thing in the fridge, propped open the lid, and dried it out in a few days.
It's settled right in at 64%.
The RH in the fridge is about 40%.
When I took it out, I immediately closed it so there would be no condensation on the sticks. The outside was cold also, and I just wiped the water off of her as she warmed up from the outside in.
If the humi doesn't seal, and it sounds as if it doesn't at all, you can fix it using some foam and a clasp. Either that, or throw it away and use a rubbermaid container.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I was under the impression that shilala bead's absorbed and released humidity.. Maybe you aren't using enough beads for your humi?
They do. They'll only do it in a controlled, sealed environment.
A pound of beads can't regulate the RH of the entire state of Texas.
You simply can't compensate for a leaking humidor, no matter how many beads, hydras or damprid you use.
Humidors are to be AIR TIGHT. Anything else isn't a humidor, it's just called a "problem".
Ziplock bags are a better solution than a humidor that leaks.
It's not hard to fix a leaky humidor. I just reworked a couple for longknocker last week. I fixed a couple for sofaman, too.
It's not difficult, and it's not expensive.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #27
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker View Post
no air conditioning, and i live in an old victorian building that doesn't have windows. only a few doors that open up. the rest are french doors that are painted shut.
I have a very easy solution for you my friend, move to a place with A/C

try what the fellas are telling ya to get the humidity down, and then go to your local B&M and look in the sticks of empty boxes for the cedar blocks. Ask if you can buy just those (they might just give them to ya)... they will help soak up a little humidity and help with the fluctuations

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #28
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They do. They'll only do it in a controlled, sealed environment.
A pound of beads can't regulate the RH of the entire state of Texas.
You simply can't compensate for a leaking humidor, no matter how many beads, hydras or damprid you use.
Humidors are to be AIR TIGHT. Anything else isn't a humidor, it's just called a "problem".
Ziplock bags are a better solution than a humidor that leaks.
It's not hard to fix a leaky humidor. I just reworked a couple for longknocker last week. I fixed a couple for sofaman, too.
It's not difficult, and it's not expensive.
So it seems the problem is solved. Brotha needs to fix the humi
Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
So it seems the problem is solved. Brotha needs to fix the humi
That's what it takes.
Or go to Wally and buy a 2 gallon rubbermaid for 10 bucks. They work great.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

First Name: Vadim
Trading: (9)
BUCASmoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Are you using the analog hygro by any chance? If you are dump it and get a digital. Those dial gauges are almost worthless.
digital. did a salt test, and it was 100% right on
BUCASmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #31
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

Quote:
That's what it takes.
Or go to Wally and buy a 2 gallon rubbermaid for 10 bucks. They work great.
Might have to do that.

Look for a "WTS - Firewood" in the next few days
Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbreath View Post
Not to hijack, but . . .

Most belive it's the extra sugar in the wrapper. They're aged in old whiskey barrels and as a result they get mold under the sleeve very easily. Even in ideal conditions.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Might have to do that.

Look for a "WTS - Firewood" in the next few days
Seriously. You're screwing up your smokes. They'd be better of sitting on the kitchen table.
If you wanna send your humi to me, I'll fix it.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

I put the smokes in 2 gallon size freezer bags, with a bag of beads in each... still at 77% after 24 hours... what the heck is going on?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I put the smokes in 2 gallon size freezer bags, with a bag of beads in each... still at 77% after 24 hours... what the heck is going on?
The beads assumed the RH from the leaky humi. You have to readjust them. Read the directions, brother.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #36
beamish

get a cooler, and use some ice packs to lower the humidity inside it..
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #37
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

Quote:
The beads assumed the RH from the leaky humi. You have to readjust them. Read the directions, brother.
I'll put them in the freezer this evening and try to get them lower. Buying a cooler this afternoon
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I'll put them in the freezer this evening and try to get them lower. Buying a cooler this afternoon
Put them in the fridge right now, and they'll probably be down low enough to use when you get your cooler. The fridge will dry them out pretty good.
THE MOMENT you take them out of the firdge you have to put them in a ziplock and suck the air out, or water will condense on them and you'll have defeated your purpose.
It will take multiple, multiple adjustments to get those soggy cigars dried out. It's not going to take a couple days, it's gonna take weeks or months.
It didn't take two days to get them soggy, ya know?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #39
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

Quote:
no air conditioning, and i live in an old victorian building that doesn't have windows. only a few doors that open up. the rest are french doors that are painted shut.

After you dry out your beads and re-prep them:

Get a thick trash bag (drawstring type) and cover your humidor and throw the humidor in the back of the closet.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #40
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

Quote:
Put them in the fridge right now, and they'll probably be down low enough to use when you get your cooler. The fridge will dry them out pretty good.
THE MOMENT you take them out of the firdge you have to put them in a ziplock and suck the air out, or water will condense on them and you'll have defeated your purpose.
It will take multiple, multiple adjustments to get those soggy cigars dried out. It's not going to take a couple days, it's gonna take weeks or months.
It didn't take two days to get them soggy, ya know?
Most of the cigars arent soggy... just a few here and there.