Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
postjack

Default Bad first pipe experience: Me or the tobacco?

Hi everyone-

I've been smoking cigars a little over a year now, and thought I would give pipe smoking a try. Based on some reading I've done here, I grabbed a corn cob pipe from Walgreens. I wanted to start with Prince Albert, but they didn't have any (or the lady couldn't find it, she was reaching for chew when I was asking for pipe tobacco ) so I bought Captain Black.

The tobacco smelled amazing, and I was really excited to get home and give it a shot. At first I just packed some tobacco in the bowl and lit it with matches. Wow, really just a bad taste. Didn't taste like it smelled at all, in fact it didn't taste like much of anything. I was tasting the pipe a lot, I know that. I figured maybe I packed the bowl poorly, so I went to the internet for instructions. I found this page and followed its instructions, but still my tobacco tasted weak, and when I could taste it it tasted bad, not at all like it smelled.

Furthermore I know relights are a part of pipe smoking, but I pretty much had to relight every hit. Its like I would get a good draw of smoke when I first lit it, but after that just small draws. It really seemed like all the tobacco wasn't burning.

So I'm sure my newbness is partly to blame, but since I didn't really see anything at all to enjoyable about the smoke flavor, I'm wondering if Captain Black isn't for me, or maybe pipe smoking at all isn't for me.

I'm just curious if anyone ever had similar experiences starting out? Ever not like the experience at all but then did something different and began enjoying it?

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bad first pipe experience: Me or the tobacco?

Does Walgreens sell Panama Red? Beats Captain Black ten ways to Sunday.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Does Walgreens sell Panama Red? Beats Captain Black ten ways to Sunday.
Not sure, I didn't get a good look at their selection. I'm willing to venture over to the tobacconist to try out some other leaves, I'm just curious how far down the rabbit hole I need to go before I can determine if this is for me.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

It sounds like the tobacco was too wet, causing all the relights. I'd try again but leave the tobacco out for a couple 10 or 15 minutes before packing. Also you have had the pipe packed too tight. Those are a couple things I've personally had problems with that caused me to have to relight constantly. The draw of the pipe should be like "sipping soda from a straw".
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
It sounds like the tobacco was too wet, causing all the relights. I'd try again but leave the tobacco out for a couple 10 or 15 minutes before packing. Also you have had the pipe packed too tight. Those are a couple things I've personally had problems with that caused me to have to relight constantly. The draw of the pipe should be like "sipping soda from a straw".
right on, I'll try leaving the tobacco out to dry a bit. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like my first time.

Practice makes perfect with the pipe. I eventually "got it" and now have fewer relights. As a dual smoker, cigars and pipes, you have to realize the experience will be different. Flavors are different with the pipe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

Starting pipe smoking is the reason there are so many cigar smokers. In a word, it sucks. Pipe smokers are though of as patient, stoic men. This is because you have to be very patient, and focused on smoking (in the beginning) which often passes for deep thoughts instead of praying the damn thing will stay lit.

Step 1. Stay the hell out of Walgreens. Go to a tobacconists, or online and buy a tin of something that isn't a sweetened tar ball. Look for frog Morton, a good beginner blend. I did my time with the good Capt., but leave some out to let it dry. A day, a week, a month? It will still be way to wet to smoke. They add a chemical to it to keep it moist which is probably not healthy, and keeping it moist is keeping your pipe hot wet and tasting like crap.

Step 2. Pack it lighter than you think it should be. Packing is 3/4 of what will make a good pipe, or a bad one.

Step 3. I smoked a lot when I had a few adult beverages in the beginning. Being slightly numb, and not so conscientious can help. Eventually, with diligence, you’ll have a pipe that is tasty and satisfying. It will be a while before you can guarantee yourself a great pipe every time, but it will come.
the MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Pipe smoking is defintely an art form. While patience is needed at the beggining, the adage "practice makes perfect" still applies. The more practice you have, the easier it will be to judge how much tobacco you need, how tight to pack it, and how dry you like it.

Letting it dry out is a good start. take as much tobacco as you need to fill a bowl (probably a little more than that to be safe), and spread it out on a table to let sit.
Also, I've never had Capt. Black, but I can assume as it is a drug store tobacco and that it is a milder blend. Checking out your local B&M for their suggestions is a great idea.
Like all things, it takes time. I'm almost 2 years into pipe smoking and I've finally been able to find not only what tobacco I prefer, but how I like to smoke it and pack it. It's a journey, and while there are some ups and downs, eventually you will be rewarded! Dont give up!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
postjack

Alright, I took some of the advice in this thread. Still messing with the Captain Black, I broke some up on my desk and let it sit there for 15 minutes. Then I packed the pipe, not to tight. The result is a remarkably different smoking experience then I had yesterday. I am getting good pulls off the tobacco, not just a bunch of nasty pipe air. I did require several relights, but thats way better then having to relight every time.

I did enjoy the overall character of the Captain Black, but its obvious I need a tobacco with more flavor. And I don't like the idea of this PG one bit. So its off the tobacconist I go, probably sometime this weekend.

I'll keep y'all posted as to my progress. Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Captain black tastes good, but it's not the tobacco you are tasting.
When you exhale and smack your lips together and flop your tongue
around, you get nothing. It is the smoke that goes into your sinuses
that seems to carry the flavor of the CB. If you like good cigars, your
mouth and tongue look for that FINISH. But you won't get it with CB
and to tell the truth, with a lot of pipe tobaccos. The stronger the blend
the more finish you get. And like you discovered, a properly packed bowl
of properly dried tobacco makes all the difference. I have been at about
6 months or less and I am just now starting to really enjoy it. I tell you
what makes for good technique...forgetting your lighter and only having a few matches in a box in your truck console. You get a good light, tamp
very lightly and before you think you need to, and puff at a decent rate.
And if you don't you are done for the day, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Just put of curiosity, did you take the paper filter out of the pipe?

Like others have said filling and smoking a pipe is an art form, and not every pipe or tobacco can be filled the same way. Stick with it and you'll develop a Spidey Sense of how best of fill and smoke a blend out of a certain pipe, but in the beginning filling is with less tobacco will help out. Also a pipe needs to be smoked at a faster pace than a cigar. A cigar you may only puff once or twice a minute, where as you pay puff on a pipe 4-10 times a minute.

Search youtube for the "Frank Method" of filling a pipe. Some people love this method, others hate it. I just know that it made my first couple months of serious pipe smoking much more enjoyable.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
Just put of curiosity, did you take the paper filter out of the pipe?

Like others have said filling and smoking a pipe is an art form, and not every pipe or tobacco can be filled the same way. Stick with it and you'll develop a Spidey Sense of how best of fill and smoke a blend out of a certain pipe, but in the beginning filling is with less tobacco will help out. Also a pipe needs to be smoked at a faster pace than a cigar. A cigar you may only puff once or twice a minute, where as you pay puff on a pipe 4-10 times a minute.

Search youtube for the "Frank Method" of filling a pipe. Some people love this method, others hate it. I just know that it made my first couple months of serious pipe smoking much more enjoyable.
Thanks for the Frank Method tip. I just youtubed it, this will give me a good guide to getting started. Yes I did remove the filter.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
$$$

Not to mention packing a bowl properly takes a bit of practice. It took me awhile before I was able to pack a bowl and have it stay lit for more than a puff or two.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

For myself I just sprinkle the tobacco into the pipe, then lightly tamp it down. Then I just toss a little more on the top and light. Been working well for me lately.
Could also have been the tobacco. Might be worth checking out our Newbie Tobacco Sampler thread. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168
Old 07-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
For myself I just sprinkle the tobacco into the pipe, then lightly tamp it down. Then I just toss a little more on the top and light. Been working well for me lately.
Could also have been the tobacco. Might be worth checking out our Newbie Tobacco Sampler thread. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168
thanks for the link, once I accumulate some more tobacco this could be fun to participate in.

I went to the Tinder Box and picked up a few 2oz bags of various aromatic blends: Anniversary, After Dinner, Captain Spice, and North Sea. Better packing combined with much better tobacco have made for a much better experience. I have to say, I might just be enjoying a change of pace, but right now I am enjoying the pipe more then the stogie, for a few reasons:

1. Time. I work full time, go to school at night, and somehow juggle a girlfriend and a social life as well. I love my life and wouldn't live it any other way, but unfortunately it makes it difficult to find time to enjoy a cigar. The times I typically find myself smoking are when I am reading a textbook for school, and while this is great, its high summer right now down on the Gulf Coast, and sometimes it is difficult to concentrate on the nuances of a stick for an hour+ while the heat index is 100+. So its been kind of nice this week to take a study break, and step outside to enjoy a short bowl.

2. Aftertaste/breathe after. This is something a friend of mine mentioned who recently took up the pipe. Basically my breath doesn't stink as bad after a bowl, as opposed to after a cigar. This is confirmed from GF feedback.

3. Cost. Hard to deny that at least the tobacco is a heck of a lot cheaper, so long as we keep that 7000% tax increase tabled. As a result of the low cost I see myself about to order a slew of different pipe tobaccos, though I haven't decided from which online vendor.

4. The pipes! I'm a collector by nature. I used to collect fountain pens a couple years ago, but fell out of the hobby. I see pipes as another opportunity to enjoy fine craftsmanship in a form I can use.

I see the art of packing and smoking as a challenge. I really appreciate the help y'all have provided in this thread, its time for me to go explore the Pipe subforum in greater depth now that I've gotten my feet wet.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
thanks for the link, once I accumulate some more tobacco this could be fun to participate in.
That's the thing. You do not need any tobacco to participate. You just order an Experienced Pipe Smoker a tin of tobacco, and they in turn send you multiple samples of tobaccos.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
postjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
That's the thing. You do not need any tobacco to participate. You just order an Experienced Pipe Smoker a tin of tobacco, and they in turn send you multiple samples of tobaccos.
obviously my english degree isn't helping my reading comprehension. i'll head to the thread now, thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by postjack View Post
obviously my english degree isn't helping my reading comprehension. i'll head to the thread now, thanks!
It's ok lol . Another plus it will help you build up some positive feedback from trading.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
madirishman
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
madirishman is on a distinguished road

I agree with the posts regarding the frank method, the youtube video helped me alot when i was just getting started
madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Check this out...