Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #3461
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I dont think any dealers here will have stock to sell at the shows
We have a big gun show this weekend & next weekend I am going to see what's left but prices will be thru the roof. No p-mags for $13

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #3462
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
We have a big gun show this weekend & next weekend I am going to see what's left but prices will be thru the roof. No p-mags for $13
I'm wondering if there's going to be people lined up at the door before it opens, waiting to rush in like black Friday shoppers to snag whatever mags might be on the table.

We've got about 2-3 big shows a month within a few hours of my area, which is nice... can always "try again" if I don't find what I'm looking for! Right now the only things on the radar I guess are an M1a or an AR10, though I don't have high hopes of finding either!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #3463
PearlS4
Entering the fray

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
PearlS4 is on a distinguished road

The shows that happen in my area never really have any deals, most things are priced higher than you can find them elsewhere
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3464
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Rats our next big gun show wont be till Jan 18
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #3465
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Rats our next big gun show wont be till Jan 18
Come East to Dayton this weekend.
(I am pretty sure you can buy a gun from a dealer, but private party sales are a no-go to out of state folks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlS4 View Post
The shows that happen in my area never really have any deals, most things are priced higher than you can find them elsewhere
I find it depends external things... the dealers usually don't have deals, UNLESS you know what you're looking for. "In the know" people can find things from time to time. Private party deals vary, there's lots of really good deals to be had on that front, depending on the time of year. Early december is a GREAT time usually for cheap private party deals, as people sell to finance the holidays. Or January, when the credit card bills start arriving!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #3466
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
2007, same parent company.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...acquires-dpms/

As for the why, as Justin said, they'll shoot just fine, and most folks won't have a single problem with em.

I personally am not well versed on the various AR brands and parts, and won't make something up and pretend I am. But a few folks that I personally believe to be knowledgeable in basic gunsmithing, and whose advice I sought and have chosen to pay attention to, all were less than enthusiastic about those particular brands. Certainly not saying you have to be, it's just my own personal choice to heed their advice!

But I also tend to purchase my guns like I purchase my tools, for the ultra long haul. And when I comes to tools, I prefer to buy Snap-On. Now that's not me saying that Craftsmen are shiet, I've never had either brand break on me, and I own stuff from both... I just think Snap-On are worth the couple extra bucks, for what I want.

Guess that makes me a sucker sometimes. Ain't we all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Jared, they have been sub standard for a long time DPMS/Bushasters/Olympic.
Yes they will go boom when you pull the trigger, but they are are from mil spec I can go into great detail on each and every component if you wish?

If i am buying a AR or building a pieces and parts rifle I it's worth it to spend a little more. To say the 3 brands above are equal would be like comparing a Dutch master to Cohiba.
OUCH.
When I did my research years ago DPMS got much better reviews than the other two mentioned company's, The DPMS was considered the best machine for the money back then. (I will have too see if I still have the article). Any how I love mine, it has never let me down with some hard use and abuse I guess this is one more time I will be happy with not having the cool kid brands.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3467
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Off to a few more gun shops to see about getting a stripped lower ordered.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #3468
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

The last page of this article on the '94 ban really made me laugh. And it had some valid points.

.....As it turns out, firearms magazines are both typically very robust and reliable in design, and incredibly easy to mass manufacture. Once made, they last indefinitely.

Between the time Congress started signaling that they would create a magazine capacity restriction and the implementation of the law, factories worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week churning out millions of nothing but high-capacity magazines, which were stockpiled by manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers in massive warehouses.

As a result, “high capacity magazines” for most common firearms were freely available throughout the life of the ban.

The law had another unforeseen result. As companies looked to introduce new models of pistols, they determined that if they were going to be forced to make pistols limited to a magazine capacity of just 10 rounds, it would be advantageous for them to make these new pistols as small as possible for the concealed carry market. The Glock 26 and Kahr K9 were introduced the following year, and were among the first of a new breed of powerful, ultra-concealable handguns known as “subcompacts.” Similar designs from other companies quickly followed.

Objectively, based purely on the numbers, the assault weapons ban increased both the number of and public acceptance of semi-automatic, military-style rifles, and created a new class of powerful, concealable handguns.

Put another way, the assault weapons ban not only put more guns into the market, it encouraged the development of smaller, more powerful, semi-automatic firearms.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/assault-weapons-ban/3/

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #3469
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
The last page of this article on the '94 ban really made me laugh. And it had some valid points.

.....As it turns out, firearms magazines are both typically very robust and reliable in design, and incredibly easy to mass manufacture. Once made, they last indefinitely.

Between the time Congress started signaling that they would create a magazine capacity restriction and the implementation of the law, factories worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week churning out millions of nothing but high-capacity magazines, which were stockpiled by manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers in massive warehouses.

As a result, “high capacity magazines” for most common firearms were freely available throughout the life of the ban.

The law had another unforeseen result. As companies looked to introduce new models of pistols, they determined that if they were going to be forced to make pistols limited to a magazine capacity of just 10 rounds, it would be advantageous for them to make these new pistols as small as possible for the concealed carry market. The Glock 26 and Kahr K9 were introduced the following year, and were among the first of a new breed of powerful, ultra-concealable handguns known as “subcompacts.” Similar designs from other companies quickly followed.

Objectively, based purely on the numbers, the assault weapons ban increased both the number of and public acceptance of semi-automatic, military-style rifles, and created a new class of powerful, concealable handguns.

Put another way, the assault weapons ban not only put more guns into the market, it encouraged the development of smaller, more powerful, semi-automatic firearms.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/assault-weapons-ban/3/

Anyone remember (or has at least read about) the 18th Amendment? From what I understand, it didn't really limit alchohol, just made a bunch of law abiding citizens criminals.

When we ignore history, we are doomed to repeat it.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #3470
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Off to a few more gun shops to see about getting a stripped lower ordered.

They have become the Holy Grail, along with bolt carrier groups! I need one for my Colt; I had a .22 conversion in it for while now I don’t know were my M16 carrier is!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #3471
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's going to be people lined up at the door before it opens, waiting to rush in like black Friday shoppers to snag whatever mags might be on the table.

We've got about 2-3 big shows a month within a few hours of my area, which is nice... can always "try again" if I don't find what I'm looking for! Right now the only things on the radar I guess are an M1a or an AR10, though I don't have high hopes of finding either!
I saw pictures of the LONG line of folks outside Sharonville Convention center from last Saturday waiting to get in. Went by there on Sunday (didn't bother attending) and it was crowding up again by 10 am. No doubt the same will be true at beautiful Hara Arena this coming weekend.

Personally I'd rather avoid such nonsense. The Treasure Aisles/Patriot Gun Show held near Monroe on Saturdays is a better choice in my book, as is Schomy's Swap Meet in Middletown. But then, I'm not looking to add anything much to what I've already got.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #3472
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I am finding that some shops won't even allow me to place an order with full acceptance that it may be months before I ever get it. Crazy that they're not even willing to take and hold onto my money now.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #3473
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
I am finding that some shops won't even allow me to place an order with full acceptance that it may be months before I ever get it. Crazy that they're not even willing to take and hold onto my money now.
I thinks it's more likely they don't know were the market price will be!
Most would be secretly steemed if they sold you a receiver for a $100 and at that moment they were able to get $300 or good knows how much.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #3474
PearlS4
Entering the fray

Trying to load up on guns and ammo now is akin to waiting until the day it snows to show up at the tire store and try to get snow tires. Should have had all that stuff packed away by now. Shortly after the original AWB expired I loaded up on all the stuff I could, and the stuff that was unobtainium during the ban. It was going to only be a matter of time before they outlawed it all again.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #3475
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Reminds me a little of 08' when we got a new prez. I grabbed 5 NIB Colt 6920's...before the prices went through the roof!!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #3476
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Trying to load up on guns and ammo now is akin to waiting until the day it snows to show up at the tire store and try to get snow tires. Should have had all that stuff packed away by now.
Yeah, I know. I just got particularly po'd seeing these clowns advocating and now putting a timeframe on a new ban to take place, so I decided to take action. You always hear it being discussed, but it's a guarantee that if he can't get it through congress, he'll just go the EO route. To go from what was regarded as a tearful speech the day of last week's shooting and then speaking of bans before the funerals is just another knee jerk reaction.

That said, I put my snow plow on my ZTR a month ago to ward off all snow for the winter.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #3477
PearlS4
Entering the fray

Thumbs up Re: First Firearm Thread.

I had planned on this administration banning them in the first term, so there has been a bit of extra time. Homeowner plows were a way of life when I lived in AK
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #3478
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I just got particularly po'd seeing these clowns advocating and now putting a timeframe on a new ban to take place, so I decided to take action. You always hear it being discussed, but it's a guarantee that if he can't get it through congress, he'll just go the EO route. To go from what was regarded as a tearful speech the day of last week's shooting and then speaking of bans before the funerals is just another knee jerk reaction.

That said, I put my snow plow on my ZTR a month ago to ward off all snow for the winter.
I realize the sensitivity of the subject matter but let's try and keep the politics out of it.

First and last time I'll post this here.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #3479
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
I had planned on this administration banning them in the first term, so there has been a bit of extra time. Homeowner plows were a way of life when I lived in AK
Deleted
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #3480
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

The wife is bringing permit applications home tonight. We're thinking about a 12 gauge pump for home defense.