Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Almost to the end of our rope with probate issues

Kinda wondering if there are any Florida Attns here, or maybe an underwriter for a Title company? I don't know where else to turn. I will try to lay out the issues in as short a space as possible and then you can see where we are and maybe someone can help. More lawyers are probably the answer, but with the wife out of work for almost 2 years and the siblings not being able to help, we aren't able to spend lots of money at this point.

Here it is:

My wife's mother died in November 2008. She had a joint will with a prior husband. He died in 1989 and his estate was probated and she got all his stuff including the house that we are now trying to sell. She didn't go and make a new will she just kept that one. This will had a "simultanous death clause" that stated if the two of them were to die together- here is what we want done with our stuff, and named my wife and her three siblings, and also his 5 kids from a previous marriage. When we went to court and the judge construed the will in 2009 she ruled the simultaneous death clause invalid since they died 20 years apart. When you take away that provision there was no other direction so the judge ruled that the will was valid, but since there was no direction then for all intents and purposes she died intestate. The judge further ruled that the other 5 people named as heirs was removed from the estate, since they weren't blood relatives. So far so good. The problem is that even though my wife as personal representative of the estate has an order allowing her and her alone to sell the property the title company is requiring that all nine individuals named in the will sign a quit claim deed. Easier said than done. My wife and 2 of her siblings, and three of her step siblings have already signed. Two of the step siblings and her step brother have not. They think there is something in it for them and so far have refused to sign. And if there are no sigs then there is no sale. The title company has said they don't care what the judge says that they are gonna require the sigs. We have spoke to two other title company's and they say that they might can do it without the sigs but you are into them for $500.00 by the time they can make the decision and we can't afford to pay that kind of money to find out if they can or not. It is on my wife and I to spend any money that needs to be spent cause the others aren't financially able to pay anything towards any costs. There is no money in the estate and this house is worth $30,500.00 so it isn't like we're talking about millions here. I have a call into the county judge, and the probate judge. If there is anyone here who can help PM me and I will give you my phone number, I will drive 4 or 5 hours to see you, whatever it takes at this point to move forward. My wife wants this done, and it is affecting her mentally and physically and it needs to be over. I can see probate taking a long time for big estates but this is a thirty thousand dollar estate and to still be in it over two years later is a testament to idiocy of the system.

Any help at all would be highly appreciated at this point.
Thanks
Greg G
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
shvictor
Instigator

First Name: Steve
Trading: (40)
Partagas
shvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Almost to the end of our rope with probate issues

Good luck Greg. I hope you get it all straightened out.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear this. I hope you get some resolution soon.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Good Luck Brother!!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Yesh .....I got nothing for you man, but I sure hope it works out dude! I wouldn't wish that on anyone
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Not a lawyer - but I was the executor of my mother-in-laws estate.

That said: if for all practical purposes she died intestate, the judge removed the other five, your wife is the personal representative which allows her to sell/dispose of the property - why not go down to the county clerks office with the court rulings (papers) and see if you can have your wife named on the deed.

We are in different states so different laws - but here in Virginia we did a very similar thing. We were told that we needed a title company to do it when in fact we didn't. A friend of my wife's who is a paralegal dug up the paperwork for us - we filled it out - and went to the county clerks office and filed. Done deal.

Any way - worth a shot. Hope it all works out for you soon.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Hope It Works Out Quickly, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

Good luck to you. My dad passed away with a will, it still took almost a year for the probate to be finalized. The lawyers and courts really make it difficult for a person/family.
Again good luck to you and your wife
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Not a lawyer - but I was the executor of my mother-in-laws estate.

That said: if for all practical purposes she died intestate, the judge removed the other five, your wife is the personal representative which allows her to sell/dispose of the property - why not go down to the county clerks office with the court rulings (papers) and see if you can have your wife named on the deed.

We are in different states so different laws - but here in Virginia we did a very similar thing. We were told that we needed a title company to do it when in fact we didn't. A friend of my wife's who is a paralegal dug up the paperwork for us - we filled it out - and went to the county clerks office and filed. Done deal.

Any way - worth a shot. Hope it all works out for you soon.

Ron
I;ll check into that. Thanks, anything is worth checking out at this point.

I did talk to the judge's assistant today and explained to her what we were up against, and just like that we are on the court docket for a hearing later in the month. What the crap am I paying an attn for? Isn't that something he should have done a couple month's ago? that's the kinda crap that makes me loopy.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar

We appreciate the well wishes guys. I told my wife when we started down this road that we would have to keep putting one foot in front of the other til the end. We are still walking but it is a weary road.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a difficult situation Greg, but it sounds like you might be making a little headway. Best of luck in the continued process and prayers for you and your wife's sanity.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Well after this and a couple other things I have been through in the last ten years I should be able to pass the Florida Bar when it's over.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Positive thoughts for a speedy, uncostly resolution brother.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

My dad has acted as executor several times. He would only do so if the will was up to date and checked by an attorney. I recall he still had issues with my grandmother's estate. I didn't go nearly as long as you have been waiting, though.

MCS
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Positive thoughts for a speedy, uncostly resolution brother.
^^^ What Mac said....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
mariogolbee

Sorry to hear this, Greg. Sounds like a royal pain. Hope you work it all out and pull some heads outta some...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

good luck greg,

the court should be able to issue a clerk's deed which should be able to be recorded, giving your wife sole posession and title of the property which the title company should be required to accept to transfer the property, otherwise i would mention to the title company that if you have to go elsewhere you would be filing a complaint against them....that should get things moving...

another thought, if your mother in law and her late husband were on the property in joint tenancy, then the property passed outside of the will.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
zappaFREAK is on a distinguished road

Death and Taxes.
No avoiding either.
Probate is like purgatory.
Hope this works out soon for you.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Greg, God's blessings on you and especially your wife. Will keep you in my prayers on this.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Almost to the end of our rope...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
My dad has acted as executor several times.
Does Indiana permit capital punishment?