Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Padrón Serie 1926 No. 35

Recently I've been smoking a lot of smaller sized cigars. I'm not sure if it's the smoking time I like, or if it's that little cigars put off more powerful flavors, but there is something about them that has caught my fancy. With that said, I am on the hunt for more smaller sized sticks that my fellow smokers enjoy, too. I posted a request for suggestions on a few message boards and got a resounding answer that the Padrón Serie 1926 No. 35 is one of the best little guys around. Luckily, I had one of these laying around that a person had sent me in random trade/bomb.

Some information on the 1926 taken from the Padron website:

Padrón 1926 Serie™ line premiered in 2002 to commemorate José O. Padrón’s 75th birthday. The 1926 Series consists of seven sizes available in sun-grown natural and maduro wrapper. All tobacco used in this line is aged for five full years. The refined tobacco is then blended to create an exceptionally smooth, complex, balanced and full-bodied flavor.

I've smoked a few Padrons, but not very many because of the high price tags and never a 1926. I was excited to smoke this stick, so let's see how it goes.

Specifics
Vitola: Petit Corona
Length: 4
Ring Gauge: 48
Wrapper: Nicaragua Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $10.70 each at my local shop
Smoking Location: My back deck
Beverage: water

Pre-Light

The first thing I noticed on my Padrón Serie 1926 was the amount of tooth on the wrapper. When I looked closely, it looked like it had the texture of a cat's tongue. Another characteristic of the dark brown wrapper that was striking was just how minimal the veins were. The leaf used for this wrapper must be very carefully selected to give this almost prefect appearance. When squeezed, this stick was hard as a rock. I had read that the Padrón Serie 1926 were almost all like this, so I was not worried about the draw. The pre-lit aroma was faint, which was a high contrast from the flavors I got from on the cold draw. This has to be one of the most interesting cold draws I have ever tasted. I was picking a very powerful nutmeg flavor mixed in with almost equally as powerful citrus and clove notes. Instantly, my taste buds were alive and excited for the smoke.

First Third

The first third of my Padrón Serie 1926 started off when a mix of different flavors. I was tasting lots of roasted nuts, mixed in with some black cherry and milk chocolate, with the milk chocolate being the most pronounced of the bunch. On the finish, I picked up just a slight hint of pepper that seemed to leave the palate as quickly as it came. The smoke itself was very dense and left a heavy texture in my mouth. This cigar was very interesting and not like a lot of sticks I've had recently. The burn and construction were perfect and the body was medium in strength.

Second Third

My Padrón Serie 1926 was smoking very nicely entering the second third. The flavor from the first third of milk chocolate was still there, but now I was picking up a lot of coffee notes. I would describe it as a black cup of joe using fresh ground beans flavor. The black cherry and roasted nut tastes from the first third had weakened but some of that pepper I was getting on the finish had picked up. The stick was not as exciting as the first third but was still very enjoyable. Something interesting to note was that the resting smoke from this cigar smelled exactly of warm peanuts. The body was still medium and the burn was razor sharp.

Final Third and Final Thoughts

After the first two thirds of my Padrón Serie 1926 I was shocked at what happened in the final third. The burn and construction was still perfect but the flavors took a sharp turn for the worse. All of the interesting and enjoyable flavors I had experienced so far were now completely dominated by a over the top strong pepper flavor. This was not the nice pepper that you get in so many Nicaraguan cigars but more of a bitter black pepper that was hot and harsh on my palate. I still smoked this cigar to the nub hoping to burn past maybe a bad spot in the filler, but it never went back to being the enjoyable experience I was having in the first two thirds. The body stayed a consistent medium from the first puff to the last.

My final thoughts on my Padrón Serie 1926 are mixed. This was a nice cigar that started very complex, slacked off in the middle and then turned sour. I have to assume from all the awards this cigar has one that I got a bad stick. That said, at the price I'm not sure when I will have another chance to smoke it and I'm not sure after this experience I would risk buying one when there are so many other cigars I know I like for less or around the same price.

Would I buy it again? If I came into some extra money in my cigar budget and the mood hit me right I might buy one more of these to see if I did in fact get a bad stick.

Would I buy a box? These are way out of my price range for box purchases.

For more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/2g25xym

Dan
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Padrón Serie 1926 No. 35

I love the Padron 26's. I see you also got the black cherry flavor that I also get.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
danreeve
Feeling at Home

I think I am intune with Black Cherry at the moment, because the stick I smoked last night I was getting tons of those flavors. That's a teaser for my next review

Dan
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
I think I am intune with Black Cherry at the moment, because the stick I smoked last night I was getting tons of those flavors. That's a teaser for my next review

Dan
Verocu No. 9?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
danreeve
Feeling at Home

nope... Punch Uppercut. Not something I expected to be better than meh. but was a decent smoke. Review coming weds. or thurs.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
leasingthisspace

This is one of my top 5 of all time. I love them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I am shocked.
Padron Annis are my favorite.
The 35 is the ultimate for me.
I have had at least 10 boxes or so of them and have yet to find a bad one.
I think this was bad luck or you could have had an off day on your taste buds.
That does happen at times.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I am shocked.
ya I figured I'd get a lot of that from this post. You might be right. Maybe it was just not a good day or something. But I didn't have a good experience.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
mash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am shocked.
Same. I absolutely love these, and find them incredibly consistent. Too bad you didn't enjoy yours more.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
ya I figured I'd get a lot of that from this post. You might be right. Maybe it was just not a good day or something. But I didn't have a good experience.
Definitely don't give up and give another one a shot.
How does your B&M store them? That may have had something to do with it perhaps.

I get to hang out often with the Padron family since I am in South Florida and since I have known Orlando, George and Rudi for nearly 20 years now. Gotta tell you, when the Padron family can smoke anything at all they want from their line and all you see in their hands is the '35, that says a whole lot. In fact, this was blended for the old man himself.

I would bet it would have to do with storage at the B&M. Just a wild guess.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Mine came as a gift so I'm not sure how it was stored. At my local, they do store the Padrons way to close the the humi machine. A lot of them are pretty wet looking.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
I am shocked.
Do you ever notice a loose draw with the 1926's? I mostly smoke the 2000's, 5000's and 1964's but I recently smoked (or tried to) a 1926 No. 9. Draw was so loose I pitched it after 10 minutes. This past week I tried a No. 1 and decided to use a punch, but the draw was so loose I didn't even bother to light it. It was almost like a hollow tube. Both cigars had been in my humi for several months. I called Padron and ended up talking to Cesar and Rudi. They asked me to send it to them so they could investigate. I know they will replace them but I'm more curious what the deal is.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Do you ever notice a loose draw with the 1926's? I mostly smoke the 2000's, 5000's and 1964's but I recently smoked (or tried to) a 1926 No. 9. Draw was so loose I pitched it after 10 minutes. This past week I tried a No. 1 and decided to use a punch, but the draw was so loose I didn't even bother to light it. It was almost like a hollow tube. Both cigars had been in my humi for several months. I called Padron and ended up talking to Cesar and Rudi. They asked me to send it to them so they could investigate. I know they will replace them but I'm more curious what the deal is.
I have never had what I would call a "loose" draw. However, Padron Annis are known for very effortless draw in spite of the hard feeling box press. You really don't have to try very much to draw smoke.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Not a fan of this cigar.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Did you purge and recut at the end when it went south on you? Sounds like tar buildup to me. I purge my cigars anytime they give me a bitter flavor I don't like, and 9 times out of ten, the next puff tastes great again.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Did you purge and recut at the end when it went south on you? Sounds like tar buildup to me. I purge my cigars anytime they give me a bitter flavor I don't like, and 9 times out of ten, the next puff tastes great again.
no I did not. Something to keep in mind.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

sorry about the bad experience this is a particular favorite of mine especially in the natural
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Dade View Post
Not a fan of this cigar.

It would be one hell of a fight to see which one of us is the bigger whore here Mikey.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It would be one hell of a fight to see which one of us is the bigger whore here Mikey.

Lets see. I only had this cigar for breakfast. And now just finishing up a 26 #6 maduro
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
darkninja67

Sorry about the stick turning to poo at the end. Great review though.

Maybe try a 1964 Exclusivo next time.

Padron Anniversaries (and Oliva V) are the most consistent cigars I have smoked. One thing you get with the Padrons is that they draw and burn great and are packed like a lead pipe.