Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough
Default Tatuaje West Side

A few years ago Pete Johnson decided to release some smaller quantities of 'RE' Verocu cigars, the No. 1 (or 'West Side') available only on the west coast, and the No. 2 (or 'East Side') available only to the eastern US. I was lucky enough to get a hold of the West Side from a great BOTL, and was in the mood for a good Tat today- hopefully this will fit the bill!

Lighting up at the B&M today, cut with my Palio and lit with matches. Cold water to drink.

Pre-Light - There is a slightly stiff draw, and some mild sweetness on the pre-light draw. Not much otherwise.

First Third - My first puffs of the 'West Side' yielded rich, smooth flavors right off the bat. There is a definite sweetness (molasses?), with some wood, mild coffee, and possibly some leather flavors. The draw is perfect, with a nice darker gray ash forming already. I'm still not sure exactly what the sweetness is here, but it sure is interesting- reminds me of the HDM EL 07 I had recently.The beautiful ash I was working on decided to drop right as I was going to snap a pic, a true shame.

Second Third - Flavors entering the second third continue to be the same as the first for the most part, mainly sweet with some rich wood/coffee/leather faintly rounding it out. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any spice yet, but from what I have heard both this stick and the 'East Side' pick up in strength and spice towards the end. So far, it is medium bodied with flavor more towards full. Ending the second third darker flavors start to gain on the sweetness, mostly earthiness and strong coffee.

Third Third - Burn has needed a touch up or two, and the ash is very nice but isn't sticking around too long. The strength has definitely picked up from the first third, while spice is starting to appear and a bitter coffee/woody flavor is taking the reins from the molasses sweetness. The flavors are getting a bit muddled, but what can you ask for at the nub.

Conclusion and Score - I've got to admit that this stick was very different from most other Tataujes I have had. This is not to say it wasn't good, as I thoroughly enjoyed it until I burned my fingers. The 'West Side' wasn't necessarily a complex cigar, but did have some nice changes throughout- moving from medium bodied molasses sweetness at the start, to a stronger, dark earth flavor in the last third. I have only had one or two other cigars with sweetness like this, and this was by far the best. If you're looking for a change of pace and enjoy sweet flavors, try and find one of these. I'd gladly score this a 90, with the possibility of another point or two if aging could eliminate the occasional bitterness and average burn. Will be looking for more!

PS the rest of the pics on are on my blog
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tatuaje West Side

Thanks for the review AJ. I have had a couple of the East Coast but have not gotten my hands on a West Coast.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Great review... This is by far my fav of the tats.... I really like its flavor profile cause its different....
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Great review... This is by far my fav of the tats.... I really like its flavor profile cause its different....
You like these??? Really?

And yes, they're totally different! Love the normal Tat profile but this was a nice change.

aj
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

The West Side is absolutely Tatuaje's worst cigar, HOWEVER...the OR west side, the Lado Occidental is 100x better. Strangely 3 of us tried the west side numerous times from different sources and each time it has been terrible. Like I said HOWEVER the Lado Occidental which is supposedly the same exact blend as the west side according to Pete Johnson himself, just the second release tastes infinitely better, well a 5 star versus a 0 star cigar.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review! I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a couple Easties, but I havent really seen anything on these West Sides until now. Sounds like an interesting smoke!
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Wierd, I didn't know there was a second release. The original is still on my to try list.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review AJ!! I have tried the East Coast, but not this stick yet.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Wierd, I didn't know there was a second release. The original is still on my to try list.
Indeed, the "West Side" are the second releases as seen here, the OR east and west COAST http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Tatua...cu-sampler.htm
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I've had the OR Zona del Este