Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brake pads for my Envoy, I need suggestions.

I have an Envoy 2004 SLT, about 45,000 miles on it.
Just had the rotors all turned yesterday but all the pads are good.
I did get the "They won't last till inspection" warning though.
The originals were Raybestos Professional Series.
I just talked to my buddy PJ, who owns a garage, and he said there's cheapos, midgrade, high grade and ceramic.
He said a bunch are noisy and ceramics don't last long, or something.
I have to do all four wheels and he said it'd be about 300 bucks for good pads installed. I thought that was kinda off the map.

So...
I need four sets of good pads that won't be noisy and won't eat my rotors (which are nearly brand new).
Any suggestions? I'm gonna go shopping today and see what I'm looking at. It'd be a big help to know what I'm looking for before I go looking.

I even thought I might go with the OEM pads being they lasted so long?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brake pads for my Envoy, I need suggestions.

Axxis makes good pads in various compounds

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I always used Bendix.

EDIT: Disc brake pads are easy to install yourself.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

Looking at Advance auto online, Wagners, which are good, are $56 FR, $63 Rear. So that gives you an idea how much labor is.

I've never heard that ceramic wear faster than metalic pads, but I usually stick with the higher end metalic.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post

Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

The Four Main Types of Brake Pads

Semi-Metallic

Semi-metallic brake pads contain a mix of 30 to 65 percent of metal and typically include chopped steel wool or wire, iron powder, copper or graphite mixed with inorganic fillers. They also contain friction modifiers that bond all the components together. These pads have a reputation of being durable and of having excellent heat transfer; however, they wear rotors down quickly, are noisy and may not perform up to par in cooler temperatures.

Non-Asbestos Organic

Sometimes listed as organic or NAO, these types of brake pads are made from fibers such as glass, rubber, carbon and Kevlar. In addition, non-asbestos organic brake pads have filler materials and high-temperature resins. These pads are softer and quieter than other types of pads, but they wear faster and create more brake dust.

Low-Metallic NAO

These types of brake pads are made from an organic formula mixed with small (10 to 30 percent) amounts of copper or steel to help with heat transfer and provide better breaking. With the added metal, there is more break dust and they might be slightly noisier.

Ceramic

These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents and possibly small amounts of metal. They are lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads and are cleaner and quieter. In addition, they offer excellent braking without wearing down the rotors. Most ceramic-based linings perform well in a wide variety of areas; but for some, other materials work just as well – if not better. Ceramic is not a generic term for a type of friction material – it is a description that covers a wide spectrum of friction materials. The only thing they have in common is that they contain some kind of ceramic as an ingredient.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Very easy to install...I don't buy ceramic b/c they didn't last me any longer. I would be surprised it you needed rear pads...hell the rears will last you 75k+ on the rears since most of the breaking is done (pressure) on the fronts.... disk break pads for decent ones on domestic cars run about $40 or less for for both sides. Autozone had these lifetime pads for like $30 and when they wear out (which they do) you take them back with your reciept and they hand you another set at no charge. If you need a coach on DIY I can walk you through it.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I always used Bendix.

My Envoy is all 4 wheel abs, and I think I have to bleed the calipers to push them back.
Rolling around on the ground all crippled up ain't much of an option, either, but I'll probably be too stubborn not to do them myself.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Patron

I love the ceramics......no break dust and IMHO they last just as long as all the rest. I have the ceramics on both my vehicles.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
skibumdc
That's what she said

First Name: Balco
Trading: (8)
PL
skibumdc is on a distinguished road

yup. sad what shops charge to do simple pad changes when all you need are simply hand tools.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I was kinda thinking about these for the front.
The backs are like new, and they don't make noise, so I probably won't mess with them at all.
Since I got the rotors turned, I can hear the right front doing a little whining.
Rather than letting them hog up the rotors, I might as well change them now, I was thinking.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

You don't have to bleed the breaks...just compress the piston on the caliper with a c-clamp...U might have a little break fluid come out of the top of your break fluid res but you can top it off when done...very easy and you save a bunch of coin.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ll&totalPages=[I@1eda25&currentPage=1&vehicleNValue=&navValue=144 01233&parentId=44-0&fromString=&fromWhere=null&filterByKeyWord=&cate goryNValue=&categoryDisplayName=Brakes+%26+Tractio n+Control&_requestid=315238

I would buy the duralast DG182 for $38.99

Last edited by e-man67; 08-11-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
You don't have to bleed the breaks...just compress the piston on the caliper with a c-clamp...U might have a little break fluid come out of the top of your break fluid res but you can top it off when done...very easy and you save a bunch of coin.
I was reading and the guys get all excited about backing up caliper fluid into the abs system cause it can screw them up?
I'm not scared, but I'd just as soon beeed when I compress the calipers and just top off the fluid.
Make any sense?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Agreed. This is what I do.
A c clamp works great to compress the piston.
I'd help you but your kinda far away.

I've. Nver bled mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I was reading and the guys get all excited about backing up caliper fluid into the abs system cause it can screw them up?
I'm not scared, but I'd just as soon beeed when I compress the calipers and just top off the fluid.
Make any sense?

Not sure why it would screw anything up...it's just fluid...I would go c-clamp, $40 pads, and spend the other $260 on cigars.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

On my old car I got tired of all the brake dust. I asked my Dad (mechanic) what to do, and he said to install Akebono brake pads on it.

He put them on and they were great.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Not sure why it would screw anything up...it's just fluid...I would go c-clamp, $40 pads, and spend the other $260 on cigars.
I'm gonna go that way, c-clamp wise, but I'm gonna spend a little more money for pads that won't eat my rotors.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Plus cheap pads will probably squeal. I always buy better pads for that reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
Plus cheap pads will probably squeal. I always buy better pads for that reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
That'd drive me out of my mind.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Use a few gurkhas...