Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project of the Day : Desktop Humi

Wow, very nice!
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The beads go behind the unscewable doohickey you see here.
It's vented beneath, and the cover is made so you can't see it.
The beads will keep it rock solid, along with the closed cell gasket and latch.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #23
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The beads go behind the unscewable doohickey you see here.
It's vented beneath, and the cover is made so you can't see it.
The beads will keep it rock solid, along with the closed cell gasket and latch.

Very crafty idea indeed. I like it!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Brass feet on four corners.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Who were the guys that you were gonna build them for? Was it two or three?
Two guys. I probably shouldn't say who.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Dual brass barrel hinges, they only open so far, by design.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Just curious but how long does it take to put together something like that Scott ?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
ahc4353

What's the green stuff?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Poly-brass handles.
You can see the gloss here pretty good. There's four undercoatings of sandable lacquer and no less than 10 layers of Poly on this thing. The finish was the killer because the wood is so grainy and uneven and full of natural imperfections.
I didn't want to fill the imperfections because it's what gives the zebrawood it's special look and feel and warmth.
That's why I also made the divider removable and non-adjustable, so that a person can appreciate the grain and look of the zebrawood.
It's totally awesome, but sheer hell to work with. Hard as nails, wrecks tools, and likes to explode.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
What's the green stuff?
The reflection of the grass in my yard, dipwad.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #31
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

The last shot is the interior.
The Spanish Cedar was the absolute best I have ever worked with. The smell when I opened this for the pics was incredible.
All I need to do is season it, make beads, and fix a screw, and I can ship it out this week.
It'll make an awesome desktop, or even better drybox.
I'd keep it for my own bad self, but it's been bought, paid for, and waited on for months.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Because of the botl's that were willing to sponsor my dumb ass, in the last six months my woodworking skills have come along by leaps and bounds.
The wood makes a guy learn his tools, and I've learned my way around them very well. I only sawed the pads off my fingers once, and it was only three of them, so that wasn't too bad.
I've completely stopped hurting myself with the table saw now.
I can crank out boxes pretty fast, and have bought the stuff I need to do what I want to do "the right way".
I'm just finishing up a desktop thermoelctric that is the coolest thing on earth, and it's turning out very well. The reason it's turning out so well is because of these couple half-assed boxes the brothers were willing to sponsor.
I've built a lot of other things by improving on techniques I learned making these boxes, and the quality, fit and finish gets better every time.
The point is...
Were it not for the brothers that sponsored this effort, I'd not have learned what I've learned. You can't price the gift of knowledge, and there aren't words to describe the thanks.
Best I can say is that there's an incredible amount of love involved in these boxes from many different angles. It's great testimony to goodness of our brotherhood.
Peace out.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
ahc4353

Quote:
The reflection of the grass in my yard, dipwad.

Looks like stain, numnuts.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #34
Boss Hogg
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Curt
Trading: (3)
Boss Hogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Full shot...

That is awesome man. Great Job
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Incredible Scott!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #36
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Looks great Scott.

Chris.....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #37
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Awesome job Scott, well done!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #38
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful looking humi Scott...great work!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #39
SilverFox

Quote:
Full shot...

Quote:
Because of the botl's that were willing to sponsor my dumb ass, in the last six months my woodworking skills have come along by leaps and bounds.
The wood makes a guy learn his tools, and I've learned my way around them very well. I only sawed the pads off my fingers once, and it was only three of them, so that wasn't too bad.
I've completely stopped hurting myself with the table saw now.
I can crank out boxes pretty fast, and have bought the stuff I need to do what I want to do "the right way".
I'm just finishing up a desktop thermoelctric that is the coolest thing on earth, and it's turning out very well. The reason it's turning out so well is because of these couple half-assed boxes the brothers were willing to sponsor.
I've built a lot of other things by improving on techniques I learned making these boxes, and the quality, fit and finish gets better every time.
The point is...
Were it not for the brothers that sponsored this effort, I'd not have learned what I've learned. You can't price the gift of knowledge, and there aren't words to describe the thanks.
Best I can say is that there's an incredible amount of love involved in these boxes from many different angles. It's great testimony to goodness of our brotherhood.
Peace out.

Sometimes stuff happens, and patience is an easy gift to grant.

In the end things are usually worth the wait.

That is a beautiful piece of work Scott.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #40
dubnick

Absolutely amazing craftsmanship!!!!