Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #61
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Project Of The Day : Lingerie Dresser

Badass Scott. Well done, that looks fantastic
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #62
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

That is really beautiful craftsmanship there. Nicely done!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #63
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Turned out great Scott!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #64
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

turned out great
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #65
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I got an email this morning from Stuart at Vectric. They're the outfit that make the software I use to create stuff, it's called Aspire.
The program is kinda like Photoshop or something on that order, but geared to what a cnc machine can do, then you create "toolpaths" for each bit used in the CNC machine. It takes lots of toolpaths to make something and there's no software that can figure that stuff out.
You have to take tooling into consideration when you create something, and know how you're going to get the machine to make it while you create it.

Anyways, they picked up the pics of Weeze's dresser and asked if they could feature them at their website where they sell the software.
These guys, along with Shopbot, are the absolute best customer service people I have ever run into in my life, bar none. They'll call you from home at 9:00 at night if need be, and they're literally happy to do it. They're involved 100% in the industry, as evidenced by them finding the pics of the dresser.
I told them "absolutely". The dresser will be on their site after the first of the year.
I thought that was cool.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #66
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, that is too cool Scott. Definitely a lost service with most companies today.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #67
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Dam brother that came out good I cant wait to see it in person
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #68
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn brother...you got skills!!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #69
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Nice job, Scott!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #70
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

As it turns out, my plans to make a bed got pushed back. Weeze wants the whole office done.
We'd talked about base cabinets all around, storage cabinets up top, kinda like the kitchen but for the office. Now I'm leaning towards custom furniture.
A couple desks (I hate to get rid of mine, I love it), corner cabinetry, a custom print center for all the scanners and printers and paper and stereo.

I'm just gonna have to sit down and start brainstorming.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #71
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

That is awesome Scott!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #72
Cenookie
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Claude
Trading: (1)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Cenookie is on a distinguished road

Great work Scott, that guy on New Yankee Workshop better look out.
Cenookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #73
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Wow! That's all I got. WOW!!!

I put on a new toilet seat from Fleet Farm for $14.95 and my wife was thrilled. I cannot even imagine doing something like that.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #74
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Wow! That's all I got. WOW!!!

I put on a new toilet seat from Fleet Farm for $14.95 and my wife was thrilled. I cannot even imagine doing something like that.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #75
LamarDaniels
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
LamarDaniels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
While I'm taking a break I thought I'd share this project with you guys. I have a few going, but this one is front and center because it's a Christmas present for my beautiful wife, Lisa. She already has a lingerie dresser but it's old and cheap and nasty and the drawers fit poorly. It looks nice, but it's a little small for all her stuff.

This one is going to be bigger, I'm thinking around 21" X 11" X 48" high. It's 3/4" rough cut kiln dried cherry that I planed and finished for this project and I'll stain it to match the bedroom furniture. It'll be easy to match it to the bed because I was told it's time for me to make that when I'm done with this.

Since I've started this project I've read, crammed, practiced, and learned a metric ton of new stuff. I bought a number of specialty furniture tools that I've been putting off, but I needed them to get this done the way I wanted it done. I've made it super heavy in Old English tradition, all wooden hardware, it'll last forever. It'll certainly be an heirloom piece that'll stay in the family for as long as I can imagine.

I can't think of much more to say, so I'll get to the pics and if you guys have any questions on the how's and what's, I'd be happy to answer. The obvious is for new guys is "Do you build humidors?" The answer is yes, I've built lots and lots. The reason I've pushed my workshop ahead to where it'd at is so that I can make some very exceptional humidors unlike anything that anyone has seen out there. As my skills progress I pick projects that take advantage of those skills so I can employ them in my goal at a later date.

So anyways, off to the pics...

Here's the drawings/schematics of the dresser. I designed it from scratch. With the software I use I can pull up the dimensions I need whenever I need them. The left center pic is with the drawers in, the right center is with drawers out so I can see the face frame parts...

This is the 3D model of the drawer fronts. It was more or less to get a look at what they'd look like and to make sure Weeze liked the design and look. The design is inpired by the dresser she had, sort of. I started with mimicry and then went off on a complete tangent, but in the same vein.

The top is a drawer front I ran in poplar to see how it turned out. From there I made adjustments to the model height and placement, among other things. It was a good move. Had I not done it I'd have made a bunch of drawer fronts that were no good. The bottom front is the real deal. There are five more just like it.

A couple pics of the drawer fronts being made...

More coming...
Awesome project. You did very nice job I would love to have one for my wife
LamarDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Great craftsmanship! Truly incredible!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

That is some really nice work Scott.
Some day, after my not to distant retirement, plan on setting up shop in the garage and having some similar fun.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #78
LamarDaniels
Just in from the Storm

LamarDaniels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarDaniels View Post
Awesome cheap lingerie project. You did very nice job I would love to have one for my wife
Can you make one such lingerie dresser for me?
LamarDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #79
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Awesome build, Scott. Thanks for the tour. That's a serious shop. Impressive work !
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote