Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #41
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Packer fan thoughts

What a great game to be at last night. Lambeau was electric. Everybody was stoked. OK, not everybody. The Vikings fans who were present were strangely subdued last night. Don't now why? They are normally pretty boisterous and boastful.

Oh yeah. 45-7. Guess they didn't have much to say.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #42
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
What a great game to be at last night. Lambeau was electric. Everybody was stoked. OK, not everybody. The Vikings fans who were present were strangely subdued last night. Don't now why? They are normally pretty boisterous and boastful.

Oh yeah. 45-7. Guess they didn't have much to say.
Mercy.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #43
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Mercy.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #44
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

There is a local pastor at the church which has a school where my wife teaches and both my sons attended, who is a huge Vikings fan. Had a meeting with him on Sunday, he was bragging about how the Vikings were going to kick Packer butt.

I called him when the Pack scored the touchdown to put them at 37-7 and said, "Dan, wish you were here." He was not in the best of moods.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #45
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Hey folks, I've mentioned before that Tim Masthay and his wife are good friends, and thought you might enjoy a picture she recently showed me!

This is them at Halloween, left to right its Aaron Rodgers, Tim, and Brett Goode.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #46
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Cool pic there.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #47
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Aaron and Brett dyed their hair red in support of Tim.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #48
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Well, they looked really good against the Raiders. Again, the defense was tough for a bit, then they were letting them gain yards at will. Yes, I know that they come up with big plays and take the ball away. But, what happens when they fail to do that? The defense worries me... BIG TIME!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

What are my thoughts? Same as last year around this time...
Quote:
That being said, still waaaaaay bitter about not picking up Marshawn Lynch. Couldn't give up a 3rd rounder for Marshawn Lynch Mr. Thompson? Really?
And what did we draft with that third round pick you ask? A freaking runningback. Eesh...

Marshawn Lynch: 969 yards, 9 TD's
Starks & Grant combined: 966 yards, 3 TD's

You know how easy it should be to run in Green Bay? You know how difficult it must be to run in Seattle? But I digress...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #50
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

And what did we draft with that third round pick you ask? A freaking runningback. Eesh...

You know how easy it should be to run in Green Bay? You know how difficult it must be to run in Seattle? But I digress...
I'll take our 47 total touchdowns to Seattle's 25 total touchdowns, even if it means we give away 6 rushing td's. Seattle has what, 5 guys scoring? We have 10+.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #51
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I'll take our 47 total touchdowns to Seattle's 25 total touchdowns, even if it means we give away 6 rushing td's. Seattle has what, 5 guys scoring? We have 10+.
Exactly my point. As crappy as Seattle is, he's still beasting. I can only dream of what he'd be doing in Green Bay right now.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #52
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly my point. As crappy as Seattle is, he's still beasting. I can only dream of what he'd be doing in Green Bay right now.
And what would it have cost us in cap $$? Would we have what we have in other places if we'd have taken him over the 3rd round draft pick? I cannot say, I haven't figured that one out. But, are we hurting for it?

Personally, I'd have liked to see us get someone opposite Matthews for some pressure on the QB. Defense is where we need help, not offense.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #53
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
And what would it have cost us in cap $$? Would we have what we have in other places if we'd have taken him over the 3rd round draft pick? I cannot say, I haven't figured that one out. But, are we hurting for it?

Personally, I'd have liked to see us get someone opposite Matthews for some pressure on the QB. Defense is where we need help, not offense.
Todd, the Packers drafted a runningback with the third round pick that Buffalo wanted; Alex Green. This makes it all the more frustrating for me as a fan.

To answer your other question, Lynch is only making $1.16 million this year (and next).

Are we hurting now? Not in the wins column. But a solid run game would protect the defense and be a wonderful compliment to the aerial attack come playoff time.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #54
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Todd, the Packers drafted a runningback with the third round pick that Buffalo wanted; Alex Green. This makes it all the more frustrating for me as a fan.

To answer your other question, Lynch is only making $1.16 million this year (and next).

Are we hurting now? Not in the wins column. But a solid run game would protect the defense and be a wonderful compliment to the aerial attack come playoff time.
Yeah, I understand. I thought he was making more than that. I agree that a run game would be a great compliment to the aerial attack - now even, long before the play-offs. I still think we should have looked at a DE or another OLB.

Glad we can disagree on this and still get along.

Go Pack!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #55
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Yeah, I understand. I thought he was making more than that. I agree that a run game would be a great compliment to the aerial attack - now even, long before the play-offs. I still think we should have looked at a DE or another OLB.

Glad we can disagree on this and still get along.

Go Pack!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I don't disagree that the Packers should've taken a front seven player with that pick, it was obvious even last year that the spot opposite Matthews was (is) a problem. My gripe is, since they used that pick on a runningback, why couldn't they have upped it for Lynch? They'd be a better balanced team, that's for sure.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

My point was there is only so much that the ball can be spread around. I'm not sure Lynch would have had as many chances to score. We score from outside the red zone as much or more as inside the red zone, and we've got 4 from Kuhn and 1 from Raji to go along with the 3 from Starks and Grant.
That's 8 to Lynch's 9. Not saying he wouldn't have been an improvement, but there's only so many touches available.

Then who's to say what he does to the chemistry of the team. I like what Ted's building from within.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #57
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
My point was there is only so much that the ball can be spread around. I'm not sure Lynch would have had as many chances to score. We score from outside the red zone as much or more as inside the red zone, and we've got 4 from Kuhn and 1 from Raji to go along with the 3 from Starks and Grant.
That's 8 to Lynch's 9.
I wouldn't care if he scores touchdowns or not. I want a guy who can come in and move the chains to protect the lead and protect the defense. But for the sake of, "argument" (nobody of course is arguing) I'd simply counter with these two things:

1. 24 of Rodgers 39 touchdown passes this season have occurred in the red zone (not to mention his two rushing touchdowns)
2. Lynch has scored 9 rushing touchdowns (and one receiving touchdown) on a terrible offense. Not a stretch to think he could exceed those numbers in Green Bay (if needed).
Quote:
Not saying he wouldn't have been an improvement, but there's only so many touches available.
Marshawn Lynch has 225 carries this season. Grant/Starks have a combined 229. I think the Packers would've been able to find a respectable number of touches for him. Further, it was brought up earlier about the salary cap. If the Packers trade for Lynch last season, the Packers aren't paying Grant this season, saving the team a net $1.5 million.
Quote:
Then who's to say what he does to the chemistry of the team. I like what Ted's building from within.
Mr. Thompson's done a wonderful job, but he's far from infallible. He's done a poor job evaluating and drafting defensive line talent (save Raji, who fell in his lap) and hasn't done a lot with the linebacking corps, either. It's also my opinion (again, just my opinion) that he missed the boat with Lynch, which was further evidenced by him spending yet another early pick on a runningback this year (Brandon Jackson and now Alex Green). If anything, he's taken careful note to make sure that he doesn't make the same mistakes his predecessors did; having a stud quarterback but not providing him with weapons or decent protection (see: Favre, Brett).
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #58
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

It is odd that we are "arguing" on the precipice of a perfect season.
If it happens, are we going to "argue" we could have been "perfecter"?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #59
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
It is odd that we are "arguing" on the precipice of a perfect season.
If it happens, are we going to "argue" we could have been "perfecter"?
There's always room for improvement, brother.

But in all reality, this is just an old axe I have to grind with Ted Thompson. I'm a stakeholder now, so next year I'll go up and voice my displeasure in person.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #60
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

The stock cert I have was sold to my grandfather for $20. I believe it is from the 2nd sale back in the 50s.