Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #61
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: McGwire Admits to Steroids......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post

You're kidding, right? Of course steroids gives the user a competitive advantage over the non-user. Not everyone "has a choice" because not everyone is morally wired the same. To suggest that the non-user had a choice to use them is silly to me. Morally, they had no choice. (I hope that makes sense! )
I don't buy that. Some people think that baseball is immoral (Lou Gherig's mother). They can't even play the sport b/c of their morals. So those of us who think that baseball and sports in general are not immoral have an unfair advantage over those who will not participate based on their morals b/c we chose to play over those who chose not to play.

And even the most morally sound people make bad decisions.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #62
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Uh, by the way; it's "Maris." Thank-you. Not surprising MM used the juice- I imagine a majority did. You're talking about enormous sums of money to be earned, and if the juice helped you get it.....

The sad thing is that kids are taking them because their heroes did, too. And, bottom line; they do work. When you're 25 and ready to sign for $100 million, the fact that you might die of cancer when you're 50 is far from important on your list.

I remember asking my doc if he thought andro might help me build muscle- "Yeah, but you'll also build liver cancer." No thanks. I do wonder if more juicing is still going on than generally acknowledged.

Remember Brady Anderson coming out of nowhere and having a 50HR season- and then basically vanishing? Hmmm....
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #63
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Every time I see the title of this thread I think:

Ok, carry on, sorry for the interruption.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #64
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread I think:

Ok, carry on, sorry for the interruption.
He makes steroids out of a ball point pen, two pieces of twine, and a bent paper clip.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #65
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
The sad thing is that kids are taking them because their heroes did, too.
This is my beef w/ why they take steroids. Not the unfair advantage part. Steroids are bad for your body, just ask Eddie Guerrero. And when the big guys do it, the young ones who look up to them think that it's ok to abuse their body. But the same can be said about Darryl Strawberry and cocaine.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #66
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
He makes steroids out of a ball point pen, two pieces of twine, and a bent paper clip.
Could you imagine what he would have made if he was on steroids???

Or maybe he was.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #67
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Could you imagine what he would have made if he was on steroids???

Or maybe he was.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #68
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I don't buy that. Some people think that baseball is immoral (Lou Gherig's mother). They can't even play the sport b/c of their morals. So those of us who think that baseball and sports in general are not immoral have an unfair advantage over those who will not participate based on their morals b/c we chose to play over those who chose not to play.

And even the most morally sound people make bad decisions.
Everyone makes bad decisions. No doubt about it. Everyone breaks the law to some extent (speeding for example). But what I interpretated from your statements is you feel everyone has a choice to do roids to compete with their counterparts since they are doing it. I think that's extremely unfair to those people who won't do them, be it for moral or future health reasons. Then you go on to say "the young ones who look up to them think that it's ok to abuse their body". Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first point, because on the one hand you're suggesting everyone can do it because they have the opportunity, then on the other hand saying it's a shame the young ones look up to them. Based on the first point I would have assumed you thought it okay for the young ones to do it too if everyone else was doing it.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #69
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everyone makes bad decisions. No doubt about it. Everyone breaks the law to some extent (speeding for example). But what I interpretated from your statements is you feel everyone has a choice to do roids to compete with their counterparts since they are doing it. I think that's extremely unfair to those people who won't do them, be it for moral or future health reasons. Then you go on to say "the young ones who look up to them think that it's ok to abuse their body". Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first point, because on the one hand you're suggesting everyone can do it because they have the opportunity, then on the other hand saying it's a shame the young ones look up to them. Based on the first point I would have assumed you thought it okay for the young ones to do it too if everyone else was doing it.
Saying someone has the means to do something is totally different than saying it is right or wrong.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #70
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Dang Yankees haters. Always boils down to that.

You don't have a Yankees player breaking a record such as that of Marris or Aaron. I think that is clearly what has brought light to the three names you mention. I bet if a Yankee was in their place, breaking said records, on steroids, the same outrage would hold true.

I think that as a diehard Yankees fan since 1967, I have exhibited that outrage in this thread.
I have to tell you, I just got a good laugh reading through your tips on alcohol and smoking on cruises. After your replies in this thread, I had you picked for a straight and narrow type. I think baseball may be one of the fews things we disagree on.
And Go Cards!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #71
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

The only thing is that the pitchers were doing it and he crushed the balls they threw at him. There was no testing back then it was against the law of the United States not baseball. If he gets in to the HOF it is because The rest of the legue was doing it as well. IMO
Who cares about the past, move on.
PS he won't get in to the HOF for one reason, he only did one thing, he did it well mind you. He hit home runs. BA below 270, fielding was ok at best one gold glove That about sums it up. IMHO
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #72
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first point, because on the one hand you're suggesting everyone can do it because they have the opportunity, then on the other hand saying it's a shame the young ones look up to them. Based on the first point I would have assumed you thought it okay for the young ones to do it too if everyone else was doing it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-steroids, I just don't buy into all the outrage that people feel about players in baseball using them. The Olympics, yes, but pro sports, no. I am against steroid use b/c of health reasons, not the unfair advantage reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
The only thing is that the pitchers were doing it and he crushed the balls they threw at him.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #73
Pauly Walnuts

I was about as surprised to hear this as the time Clay Aiken admitted he was gay.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #74
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
There was no testing back then it was against the law of the United States not baseball.
That is not true. The only crimes these really committed were taking perscribed drugs without a perscription. If they (all the players in question) admitted to that alone, Congress would have little to charge these guys on.

In the end MLB is just entertainment. Many make out to be something more than that, but it's not really.